Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Age 9, first attack hit out of the blue. Still don't know why! -nt- new
      #18444 - 08/24/03 09:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My IBS began at 40 new
      #18465 - 08/25/03 05:18 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Hi sunny, Welcome to the board. My IBS started at age 40, following an extremely stressful period in my life. There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding age of onset. Try a search on this subject; you my find the previous posts very helpful. This board is a great place for information and comfort. best of luck and welcome, artist

Re: Age IBS began? new
      #18471 - 08/25/03 06:04 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Mine started when I was 24 after the birth of my last child. That was 3 1/2 years ago. I suspect it started due to a couple of factors. One being the long, difficult labor and two the stress of a toodler and a colicy baby that did not sleep through the night for six weeks.

#18478 - 08/25/03 07:05 AM
jimmy

Reged: 08/22/03

I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago, at age 31, but I suspect I've had it for years. I've never been able to eat or drink much dairy, and cut out coffee 10 years ago b/c a doctor at the time diagnosed me with ulcers (but I'm starting to think that it was just ibs all along). I was diagnosed after 4 months of the worst strees I've ever been through.

But do get the colonoscopy to rule out anything more serious. My doc was more suprised than anyone when he found pre-cancerous polyps on somebody my age. One of them, he said, would have killed me before I was 40. And I know I wouldn't have had the colonoscopy until I was 50 or more. As it is, I just have to keep up regular colonoscopies--and figure out a way to stop this ibs cycle.

#18479 - 08/25/03 07:07 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Mine started at age 16 - That's when I can remember having my first attack. But I think I had smaller attacks before that.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#18481 - 08/25/03 07:31 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Not altogether sure, but I think early 20's around 21 or 22 is when I noticed I began having difficulty.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#18488 - 08/25/03 09:41 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

I began to notice IBS symptoms ( not that I had a clue what IBS was, at the time) at age 30 when my mother was terminally ill with cancer. I am sure the stress of the situation triggered problems, though looking back I may have occasionally experienced digestive issues as far back as teenage years. That usually only happened if I ate something really rich and ate too fast. Since my mom's illness and subsequent death, IBS has definitely worsened.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#18503 - 08/25/03 11:50 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Mine started at age 19. I had my first attack after having really shrimp scampi (lots of butter), fried cheese bread, and a huge meal at Red Lobster.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Age 11 new
      #18504 - 08/25/03 11:58 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I was 11 at the time of my first attack. Was going through a typical depression for someone starting puberty.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#18505 - 08/25/03 12:21 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

I am 24, still wrapping up some testing to make sure it isn't anything else more serious than IBS. Symptoms started a year ago (D), and up until then I had an iron stomach and could eat ANYTHING! Even the Olean stuff that made everyone else sick! Oh how I long for a big juicy bacon cheese burger!

The diet recommended here helps me out tremendously. Tried out some recipes from Heathers book and they are delicious! Immodium also helps me out when I get D.

Good luck!
Olivia

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review