All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Acidity or fat?? new
      #183743 - 06/05/05 04:05 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

maybe. I am not overly triggered by fat, so i have regular vanilla soy milk, and it never bugs me. And applesauce may be a bit too acidic for you.

PS- I will write you back, LOL!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acidity or fat?? new
      #183744 - 06/05/05 04:07 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I've heard from many people that soy can just be a difficult bean to digest, which is why I find it so interesting that so many people with IBS do great with it! I wish I did, I love soy products!
I don't know what it is about the applesauce. I should try it again. I read somewhere that if something triggers you once you shouldn't totally cut it out because the trigger could have been from something else.
Take your time writing me back! No worries!

Thanks, girl!! nt new
      #183745 - 06/05/05 04:11 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I love the idea of acacia and applesauce!! new
      #183747 - 06/05/05 04:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I've almost worn out the excitement of my morning soy protein-fruit-soymilk-metamucil smoothie. Almost!!

That's funny, because I've been thinking of adding a smoothie. Although I'll still keep my applesauce and acacia - that's my pre-breakfast or, as the Hobbits would call it, First Breakfast. ("Daily hobbit meals include Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevenses, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea and Supper, supplemented with plenty of snacks in between." I wonder if they all have IBS. ) I guess the smoothie would become my Elevenses.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Oh gosh I eat like a hobbit! LOL! -nt- new
      #183771 - 06/05/05 06:11 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Re: Haven't eaten much all day and... new
      #183777 - 06/05/05 06:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Tinkerbelle: I note that you're eating avo's frequently. Could the fat content be hyper-stimulating your tummy? I know that avo's do that too me as I am ultra fat sensitive. Just an observation. Note: Don't worry, you'll find a comfortable groove, routine, rhythm. Thank goodness for Immodium, though!
I have lots of days just like you. I guess it's just a general uptight nature. I do eat everyday, though even if I just nibble and graze and snack. A nice steady flow. Often
just because I am who I am I find it hard to sit through a meal. This is quite likely because I primarily dine in my own company and well I never let myself go hungry and basically have to remind myself to eat.

#183778 - 06/05/05 06:34 PM
Tinkerbelle

Wind,
Yes I do eat a lot of avos, but they are really my only source of fat right now, and I am so scared of losing anymore weight I feel like I need them!
How often do you have days like I did today? How long have you had IBS for? My best friend apparently has D every single day but doesn't let it bother her at all. I wonder how many people are like this but just don't pay attention to it and just go on with their lives? She eats really crappy and doesn't even care that it upsets her tummy- she just keeps eating what she likes. However, she doesn't feel any pain with her D, so maybe I wouldn't be bothered either if that were the case.
How do you not let it get you down? I can't wait until I find some kind of flow or relief from this, it has effected every aspect of my life even though I don't have a very extreme case of it. I truly believe that my paying such close attention to it has made it much worse, as I've always had tummy issues but just popped some tums and went on with my life, whereas now I've stopped my life to focus on this and change it, making it much much worse!

Re: A Hobbit Habit--n.t. new
      #183780 - 06/05/05 06:40 PM
Wind

Trying to eat dinner... new
      #183782 - 06/05/05 07:05 PM
Tinkerbelle

And it's making my tummy grumbly! All I'm eating is steamed carrots on steamed white rice, and trying to eat a little bowl of oatmeal with some protein powder in it. Today is a day where I really don't want to eat at all, but I know if I don't it will mess me up for a long time. I've eaten less then 1000 calories today, which is so bad! I can't seem to eat much more then 1000 calories on a given day without getting really bloated, as my tummy just isn't used to much food anymore.

#183785 - 06/05/05 07:23 PM
Wind

1. Re: Fats/avos. I only get about 10-12g of fat per day without adding a drop of fat. The fat in my food is only what exists naturally in the fruit, vegetable or grain. I used to eat a little avo for a little fat, but my system went haywire.
I've had really bad IBS-D since my early twenties, but IBS berfore that. Honestly, a tsp. or two of nut/seed butter would have me hugging the toilet all day long. Fat just runs through me. However that is me. The fat in not-milks is too high. So, I just do not add fat and my IBS is personally a billion times better. I love avos., and occasionally I do have a little but they are just too rich for my system.

2. Trust me, I understand your fear re: continuing weight loss. I have the same problem. I basically I eat, nibble graze all day long. ("Eat like a hobbit?!!!" to bum a quote from Retrograde).

3. I weigh 113 lbs. and am 5'6" in height. I should weigh a tad more. Sometimes my weight does drop lower and that's when I up my liquid calorie intake or add a smoothie or too or some raw soluable juice or just extra calories. Not necessarily protein, but just calories--not fats. Basically I just EAT and never let myself go empty. This is embarrassing, but sometimes when I get too thin (usually if I drop less than 107, I actually wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and need a few crackers to tide me over until morning! No joke.) I think this is just a natural famine mode survival mechanism kicking in, though. Can you add a smoothie or two? Some sort of yummy safe dessert or snack?
An extra half sandwich? Seriously, with anxiety and stress and ocd and just being me, I get FULL or satiated so fast!

3. The pain is the worst part of it, though. That and the isolation. My heart goes out to you, Tinkerbelle.

4. It still gets me down, but I don't let it get the better or the best of me. I just shift my focus unless the pain is unbearable. MEDITATION, music, creative visualization, Buspar, the diet and just knowing that each day is new helps. Yoga helps ground and release energy.

5. I still have lots of days like you did, today. Especially now that its summer (heat is a trigger for me, a stressor). They're just more managable and less of a hassle/interference. My worst problem or habit is my social phobia. I have major grocery store/shopping paranoia/anxiety of late. Food shopping. YIKES. I just go blank. Do you ever just go blank or walk through a grocery store or food place and just feel ill, etc.?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8654

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review