All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating the same thing
      #183177 - 06/03/05 08:30 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I've heard that eating the same thing everyday can cause more problems. Is this true? It's so hard to feel comfortable eating a wide variety of things when you never know what will effect you negatively! But I've experienced time and time again that sometimes I will eat something and feel fine whereas other times I will eat something and it will trigger me. The only reason I can think that happens is based on emotions or other factors, and not food! But still, I am not very adventurous with food, in fact I really believe I have IBS induced aneroxia. It really sucks, I am so afraid of food and also really angry at it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating the same thing new
      #183188 - 06/03/05 08:47 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I don't know if eating the same thing causes problems because you're not getting enough calories or because the diet could be lacking nutrionally? What foods do you eat regularly?

I think the first couple of months on the diet I ate the same foods almost daily. My goal was just to get enough calories and to be stable enough where I felt confident to add new foods. I try to add something new every week, although I'm not terribly strict about this because I know stress is a BIG trigger for me. If I'm already having a stressful or busy week, I'll stick to what I know is safe for me. However, if I'm having a good week, I'll try something new when I have two days off in a row (meaning, two days off from work or socializing). I think once you start feeling better and are stabilized, you'll feel braver about eating new foods. Don't pressure yourself too much-- just take one thing at a time!

Take care!

Re: Eating the same thing new
      #183193 - 06/03/05 08:50 AM
Tinkerbelle

Mostly I eat: chicken, sourdough toast, oatmeal, carrots, potatos, eggs, avos, choc applesauce cake, and then try to experiment with other things. But I think I'm eating fairly well, it's just so hard to know. When I go to the bathroom a lot I feel like I'm losing everything I ate the day before. It's a terrible feeling and makes me not want to eat at all, it's like what's the point if it's all going to come out!

You're not eating egg YOLKS are you? new
      #183198 - 06/03/05 08:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And some people have problems with avocado (esp. too much of it) b/c of it's relatively high fat content. And I told you before that some people have issues with oatmeal.

Re: You're not eating egg YOLKS are you? new
      #183201 - 06/03/05 08:55 AM
Tinkerbelle

I went to a nutritionist who told me that I should be eating the yokes, so I have been. I've eaten them for years and they never seem to have bothered me. Some days I'm fine with them other days I'm not! Plus they are one of the only ways I get fat!

#183202 - 06/03/05 08:56 AM
Linz

Uh, okay. That's not following this diet tho, is it? A little olive oil in cooking would be far better for you. The animal proteins in egg yolks can be hard to digest...and they are high in cholesterol.

SOme days I'm fine with dairy, some days I'm not...but I know it's a trigger.

#183208 - 06/03/05 08:59 AM
lalala

Egg yolks really bother me--the gas it creates seems to trigger frequent BMs (not necessarily loose). You might want to try going a week without eating eggs, just to see if you have fewer BMs.

#183211 - 06/03/05 09:00 AM
Tinkerbelle

Yeah my friend suggested not eating eggs for a week to see how I feel. I may try that but it's so hard cuz it's some of my only protein! So olive oil is easier to digest than egg yokes??

#183213 - 06/03/05 09:01 AM
lalala

I second the use of a little bit of olive oil. I find I do find with a small amount of nut butter on toast--maybe about a tsp.

#183214 - 06/03/05 09:01 AM
Linz

When it comes to the fat, YES. It's so much better for you all round. And why don't you get any other protein? Btw, egg whites are fine.

#183217 - 06/03/05 09:04 AM
Tinkerbelle

I just eat chicken and oatmeal, that's the only other protein. And I was putting some rice protein in my oatmeal too.. but I may lay off the oatmeal for a few days!

#183218 - 06/03/05 09:04 AM
Tinkerbelle

What kind of nut butter?

Re: Protein sources new
      #183220 - 06/03/05 09:07 AM
lalala

How do you do with soy milk? Maybe you could add some to your cereal or oatmeal--a serving has 7 g. My instant oatmeal packets have 4 g. Even Minute Rice has 3 g of protein. You could add some beans to the rice to make it a complete protein--I mash mine or blend them w/ some soy cream cheese in a blender to make them easier to digest. Obviously, chicken has plenty of protein...

HTH.

Re: Protein sources new
      #183222 - 06/03/05 09:08 AM
Tinkerbelle

I've never done really well with soy... but like I've said it's so hard to know what I don't do well with because it seems like I do well with NOTHING these days!

#183223 - 06/03/05 09:09 AM
lalala

Well, I can eat small amounts of reduced-fat or regular peanut butter. I've tried almond butter made from roasted almonds--the raw almond butter was too hard on my stomach. However, please be careful because for some people even reduced-fat peanut butter can be a trigger for them. But for me this is currently one of my only sources of "good" fat.

Tight Rope new
      #183241 - 06/03/05 09:42 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tinkerbelle:

I find a lot of people on these boards think they are completely following Heather's diet, but, in fact, they aren't.

Personally, I follow about 90 per cent of Heather's diet because I must admit I "cheat" on a few things (I sneak in a few extra veggies and a little cooked fruit when I can and I sometimes eat (gasp!) skinless brown poultry meat because I can't stand white meat only!) Sometimes I get D from eating these "bad" things. However, I rarely, if ever, get any pain anymore because I know exactly what foods will trigger that type of reaction in me and I avoid them 100 per cent.

My guess is even though you may think you are, you may not be following Heather's diet 100 per cent. My experience is that if you aren't, you might get away with eating foods off the diet sometimes and other times you might not get away with it and that's why you sometimes get sick. On the other hand, if you are following Heather's diet 100 per cent, you may still get sick sometimes because, unfortunately, that's the nature of IBS.

In order to know whether you are fully following Heather's diet, and to recommend how you could expand your diet, you would probably have to let us know exactly what you are eating (including all the ingredients) and how you are preparing those foods. You probably haven't got the time, energy or patience to provide that level of information! (I know I wouldn't!)

I find eating for IBS can be much the same as walking a tight rope. One false move and I've fallen hard onto the ground below ... or, if I'm very, very lucky, there'll sometimes be a net and I'll land gently in it. My goal is to get that net permanently installed!

Belinda

P.S. I love Santa Cruz! I go there for classical concerts (Santa Cruz Chamber Players) several times a year with my boyfriend, who lives in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4904 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1823

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review