All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can diet make you tired??
      #182960 - 06/02/05 01:24 PM
Proterra

Reged: 04/22/05

Hiya,

Have been trying to follow the guidelines of IBS diet for quite a number of weeks now but for some reason I seem to be really tired. Has anybody else experienced this - maybe its a reaction to changing from a really unhealthy diet?? Or maybe its something else. Anybody else had similar problem?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can diet make you tired?? new
      #182964 - 06/02/05 01:40 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I do, but haven't pinpointed down my problem yet. I think that since I have low blood sugar the high glycemic index foods may be bad for me. I am trying to sub in brown rice, sweet potatos, and other things that are safe but better than white bread/potatos. I am ALWAYS hungry, too, even with frequently eating, are you that way also? Also, as Linz has said, adding proteins and veggies to your bread/rice/pastas lowers the glycemic index. I have been trying to eat more bits of protein in snacks and meals, rather than eating pretzels and such as a snack I will have a rice cake with PB for example.
Still hasn't entirely helped, though. If I ever find out more info on this I will let you know, but if anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them to, I have been sooo dragged down, tired, and in the dumps, and I am not sure if diet can improve this or not.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Can diet make you tired?? new
      #182965 - 06/02/05 01:44 PM
Proterra

Reged: 04/22/05

Hi - I have been really hungry too - although I think thats because I'm still getting to grips with what I should and shouldnt eat. Have been tired, feeling flat and walking round the house looking for food - even though I have not long eaten - I just thought I must be being silly and its all in the mind.

Well, a couple things... new
      #182982 - 06/02/05 03:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, eating often is good, so don't worry about that *too* much. Second, being hungry all the time is a natural reaction to eating low-fat... fats keep you feeling "full" longer, so logically, the fewer you eat, the more often you're going to feel hungry. But this is ok too! Your body will adjust to it in due time.

As for feeling tired and run-down, I notice this is the case when I don't eat enough protein. I try to get protein with my meals at the very least, and with snacks in between if I can manage it. The bonus to this is that protein will also make you feel more full, and cut down on the "constantly hungry" feeling. I'm not sure what point you're at in the diet, whether or not you've really added a good range of protein-rich foods back in, but if you haven't, definitely give that a try. It seriously only takes me a single day of not eating enough protein to start to feel like my veins are full of lead, and I end up craving food non-stop.

Anyway, you're NOT silly and it's not all in your head!

I am sorry but I find it so funny new
      #182994 - 06/02/05 03:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

to have a question about the diet making you tired and a question elsewhere about the diet making you hyper and not be able to fall asleep. It is so funny when we have these questions. Like people who say they won't be able to lose weight and people who say they cannot possibly gain weight when starting the diet. And so on. It is just ironic thats all. No offense!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Well, a couple things... new
      #183016 - 06/02/05 04:21 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

.....and I have protein cravings. Thanks for the advice...and I'll definitely try more protein......

Re: Well, a couple things... new
      #183093 - 06/02/05 09:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeah I'm definitely the same way re: protein Casey... if I go a few days where I'm not getting enough I get really worn down and hungry *all the time* - I'll find myself in the bread drawer gorging on white bread like a fiend when I come home from work at midnight!

Re: I am sorry but I find it so funny new
      #183094 - 06/02/05 09:33 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

hehe I was JUST thinking the same thing
everyone reacts so differently to the diet, I guess

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review