All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating and Sleepin
      #182627 - 06/01/05 02:36 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

How long do you wait to go to sleep after you have eaten? What happens if you lay down right after you eat? I find i need to wait about 1.5-2 hrs to go to sleep after I eat or I get a bit of indigestion. Just wondering about the rest of ya'll!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating and Sleepin new
      #182632 - 06/01/05 02:49 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm the same way, but I stop eating 3 hours before I go to bed. I notice I have less night-time/early morning gas when I do this. If I do need a snack before I go to bed, I stick to very safe foods--like toast, a flour tortilla or dry Crispix. I just feel I sleep better if I don't eat because then I don't have to deal with any indigestion that may wake me up. However, I don't think eating before sleeping is a problem for most IBSers.

#182635 - 06/01/05 02:57 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

unless one also has GERD (reflux), which a fair amount of ibs-ers do.

#182707 - 06/01/05 06:42 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I find that I need three hours or so without food to sleep soundly and comfortably and deeply. If I do have a snack, it's something really light and small, i.e. rice cakes/crackers, some dry cereal--something that "speed." Sometimes, with night medications, a light snack helps absorb the pills.

I have a bad case of GERD, and that happens NO FAIL new
      #182708 - 06/01/05 06:46 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

if I go less than 3 hours or if I've had a GERD trigger food.

Do you get your food revisiting your mouth at night? Do you have to swallow back "puke" ever? Because if you do, that's almost certainly GERD coupled with heartburn.

Elevate your upper body and take a Zantac before bed. that always helps me. For now at least!!

Good luck!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#182716 - 06/01/05 07:10 PM
JennWst

Reged: 06/01/05

I have found that I have been gaining weight lately... when I eat good for my IBS I get kidney stones and then I gain weight... anybody have suggestions? I also have to take Melatonin to go to sleep...

Re: I have a bad case of GERD, and that happens NO FAIL new
      #182731 - 06/01/05 08:37 PM
pulse

i don't have food 're-visits of late, thankfully. yes, mine woke me up in middle of night, just as you describe. i know that that has GOT to be the grossest! let's see....i passed the zantac stage 6-7 yrs ago. it's been prilosec, then prevacid for me ever since then. nothing else touches my GERD.

BUT, i have developed a new syndrome, and when i feel up to it, i'll likely touch more on it. briefly, this is what occurs: right after i take my prevacid, i get what i call urps. this can go on for a hour or more. maybe these would be burps for anybody else; i wouldn't know, as i can literally count the number of legit/ real burps i've had lifetime (or since an infant at least) on less than 2 hands. the air does come up, but sheesh it's anywhere from painful to annoying to ^$#()">$$%. this syndome is starting to scare me and i now wish i somehow could have avoided going on these proton pump inhibitors entirely. but until now, they were SUCH a godsend.
i have a hunch that leaky gut may be involved.

it's now been found (at least anecdotally) that alot of folks who must take antidepressants and/or other psych meds 'mysteriously' then develop GERD. hmmm. sales have sky-rocketed. count me in as one of those, altho in my case, GERD is also hereditary on my dad's side.

i must sound like an incredible mess! rofl. it do get old.

#182743 - 06/01/05 09:14 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm kind of the opposite... I really need to eat before going to bed or the following morning is terrible for me - my stomach really hates to be that empty for too long.

But like others have mentioned I usually just have an english muffin or some bread or applesauce or crackers... something light and usually SF-only. Anything heavier leaves me feeling a little icky. Good question, btw!

For JennWst new
      #182816 - 06/02/05 06:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Diet board. I don't know anything about kidney stones, but you can try doing a Search for any info that's already come up about them. Search on: "kidney stones", don't use the quotes, Exact Phrase, All Boards, no time limit.

The issue of weight gain comes up a lot and I know Heather talks about it in the main part of this Website. Here are a couple of links outside the Boards:
ShellMarr in newsletter
Heather's FAQ

Searching for this on the Boards is a little trickier. You can try: "weight gain", don't use the quotes, And, no time limit. I'd start with the Diet board only. You might get overwhelmed by the number of hits, though, and I don't really know how to tell you to narrow it down.

As for Melatonin, I'm pretty sure that's come up before, so that's also something you could Search for: "Melatonin", don't use the quotes, And, no time limit, All Boards.

If what you get from the Searches isn't what you need, then definitely ask again. I'd suggest starting a new post in the Diet board with a Subject line that includes everything you're asking about, so people who are interested in those topics will see it. For example, your Subject line could be: "Weight gain, Melatonin, Kidney Stones" if you still want help on all three topics. And be sure to say in your new posts that you searched on these topics - otherwise, someone is probably going to suggest again that you search - and it might be me! (ISOT = I Searched On This)

Good luck. HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/02/05 06:41 AM)

Re: For JennWst new
      #182904 - 06/02/05 11:19 AM
pulse

don't know if you suffer from it, but be advised that melatonin for sleep can make depression worse. just fyi.

Re: For JennWst new
      #182999 - 06/02/05 03:28 PM
JennWst

Reged: 06/01/05

Thanks, I will try those, I thought I would see if anyone had the same experience. I have found this to be the best website for IBS information.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review