All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia - some advice please!!!
      #182618 - 06/01/05 02:18 PM
LisaY

Reged: 05/23/05
Loc: United States

I just ordered some Acacia. I am a little confused about the acacia...I am IBS-C and get severe bloating and cramping and usually have a BM every two to three days. Will this make me more bloated and gassy? I am a little nervous.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia - some advice please!!! new
      #182769 - 06/02/05 12:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Read Heather's post at the top of the first page of this board on Acacia doses. Increasing the dose of ANY SFS too much too fast can cause a temporary increase in gas and bloating, but Acacia is actually one of the best available (for NOT doing this, that is ). Psyllium based SFS for example can cause gas however you increase the dose...although psyllium is one of the best SFSs for beating bad C.

If you're really worried, start at a tiny dose (1/2 or even 1/4 t) and slowly work up from there. You're unlikely to get the beneficial effects until you've reached a significant dose (more than 8g SFS a day is typical) but by increasing the dose REALLY slowly you're far less likely to get the temporary side effects.

Re: Acacia - some advice please!!! new
      #182800 - 06/02/05 05:58 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Start at the recommended small dose...1/4 teaspoon say, twice a day. Stay there for a week or two...add another 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon...stay there at week or two..ect.

This way, you should see only benefit and no increase in gas and bloating. Don't forget to drink WATER WATER WATER, or you will make your problem worse. Once things get moving, then the gas and bloating will get better anyway. Acacia seemed to help me feel better even at the smaller doses though, but I know it isn't that way for everyone. Hope it helps you like it does me!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Acacia - some advice please!!!--and another question about fiber new
      #183359 - 06/03/05 04:34 PM
jgilory

Reged: 06/02/05

So if you start out too strong, the gas and bloating are temporary? I totally jumped in and am wondering if i am taking too much SFS...but if i need to take a lot it makes sense to just take it and then my body will adjust? is that correct??

#183411 - 06/03/05 09:51 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

You need to start at a small dose otherwise you will be unnecessarily loading your body/GI system with stress - thus gas, bloating etc.

Start small, then work your way up. If you're finding you're having lots of gas and bloating, drop your dose a bit for a few days to let your body get used to it then work back up, maybe a little more slowly this time.

Everyone's body is pretty different re: how fast or slow to up the dose, so you have to listen to your body on this one. But don't worry, you'll soon get to a dose that works for you. HTH.

#183419 - 06/04/05 03:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep, should be temporary. I started on a SFS before I found Heather and went straight on to the max dose...had horrific gas for 10 days but then it subsided.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 935 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 707

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review