All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
off of herbal laxatives
      #181824 - 05/28/05 09:48 PM
MJZ

Reged: 05/24/05

Hi. I was on a fiber blend (psyillium, senna, other herbs) that said it was not addictive (didn't do my own research) and after 2 years noticed that the last few months it wasn't being as effective and I needed to take 3 caps instead of 2. It freaked me out so I went off cold turkey 2 months ago. I'm back to my pre constipated state but have been taking straight fiber now and getting roughly 25 to 30 grams of fiber in each day ( 15 in sfs) about 75 oz of water. I started with citricel and a week ago incorperated acacia slowly. I am still not going much. I feel so backed up and bloated. I used to only go maybe once or twice a week and I am going a little everyday but with all this fiber I'm getting I feel my colon has got to be traumitized and getting stretch out in there. Does this fiber thing just take time or what, it's been 2 months and I'm really hoping the acacia helps? Thanks for any info

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: off of herbal laxatives new
      #181827 - 05/28/05 10:42 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

something wierd that always happens with me is that when i get *too much* fiber, i get MORE C could that be the same with you too???

ps--i dont think that your colon has become immune to your fiber blend, if thats what you were thinking---if it had, then you wouldve noticed a lesser effect sooner within the 2 years of taking them. hang in there! im told it gets better but am in a C-HOLE with yah

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#181846 - 05/29/05 06:25 AM
MJZ

Reged: 05/24/05

Thanks. I am really trying to retrain and tone my peristalsis action. I've been reading a ton on Ayurveda medicine, which is where I got the cumin gas remidy from. I just get scared I hurt my colon out of my stupidity and only pray I can heal. I am seeing a naturalpath an dthat has helped. I will share anything that works longterm. It just takes so much time doing natural things but at least it is real healing when it finaly happens and not covering stuff up.
Melissa

#181939 - 05/30/05 02:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Although some people don't cope with too much SFSs, Heather has said in the past that some C's find rel;ief with 25-30g of SFS a day. SO maybe try UPPING your dose.

You can also still take psyllium...it's often v.effective for C's despite the bloating. Maybe try adding some Metamucil (that's psyllium isn't it?) too.

#181949 - 05/30/05 04:55 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I was recently diagnosed with severe IBS-C. I have had intestinal problems for ten years (been on numerous meds) It wasn't until I went through three surgeries and two other hospitalizations that I realized all the fiber and water they kept telling me to drink/eat wasn't working. I went on Zelnorm, 3 tablespoons of milk of magnesia daily (ugh!), and Heather's diet and feel fine most of the time. The peppermint and fennel tea has been a life saver as well as the low fiber/no dairy/low fat diet.

#182102 - 05/30/05 10:47 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

how can you tell ahead of time that all the fiber/water could be causing worse IBS-C?? ive been juggling around with diff.SFS and been drinking lots of water but is that something that could potentionally harm me later on in life?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1051 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review