All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NEW Please help!!!
      #181006 - 05/24/05 05:25 PM
LisaY

Reged: 05/23/05
Loc: United States

I was diagnosed with IBS-C about 7 weeks ago. What a relief it was to find out that there was really something wrong, after suffering with stomach aches and pains which seemed like forever I decided to go to the gastroentologist. The pains and bloating are the worst, most days I just wouldn't eat because the only time I felt good was when my stomach was empty. I immediately went online and discovered this website, it is awesome! I ordered both of Heather's books and read them cover to cover. I am starting to get the hang of the diet, but my problem is I cannot eat anything high fiber, and most fruits and vegetables cause spasms almost immediately, so I am afraid to try them again. I am a little overwhelmed right now because it is really hard to figure out how to eat especially since most of my diet consisted of healthy salads, lots of fruit and vegetables and now I can't tolerate them. I am able to eat soy, which I really like and bananas are the only fruit do far that I can eat without getting the spasms. I mostly eat turkey and chicken and tuna. Does anyone else with IBS-C have trouble with high fiber foods, salad and veggies? I noticed there are alot of recipes on this site, and will start to use some of those along with my IBS cookbook. Also, my doctor prescribed Bentyl for my spasms and I can't believe how much better I feel, and my stomach bloating is gone. I feel like a new person, just a little overwhelmed...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEW Please help!!! new
      #181012 - 05/24/05 06:11 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi Lisa, I totally relate with your story. I also have IBS-C, I got diagnosed about nine years ago actually when I was about to enter high school. You name it I have tried it. Nothing really seems to help my constipation totally. Sometimes I feel like at least 5 pounds of my weight is just being bloated. I have just started to drink coffee in the mornings and I think it is actually helping me use the bathroom, I am thinking about trying hot tea to see if that works too. I am also on Zelnorm and it seems to work most of the time but not always and sometimes it makes me cramp up. I totally feel for you!! I am always hear to talk!

#181020 - 05/24/05 06:34 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Hi Lisa and welcome. You are in the right direction with the diet however you have to become stable first. Number one always eat a soluble fiber before you eat insoluble. Being a C person myself I still need that insoluble fiber to help get things moving. In fact we all need it. C people tend to need more. However if I eat any veggies or salad on an empty stomach I am left feeling bloated and crampy. I also try to eat a potatoe, bread, rice or some other kind of soluble fiber first. It will take awhile to adjust your amounts but that will come after listening to your body and montioring what is happening. I also take Acacia which helps me keep things moving as well. You might experience gas and bloating when first using it, but it should go away after a week or so. Make sure you are also drinking alot of water or tea. I like peppermint tea personally because it soothes my tummy. I hope this helps and again welcome. You have found a great place to be!

When you say soluble before insoluble... new
      #181032 - 05/24/05 06:51 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I usually mix my insoluble veggies with my rice/quinoa while I eat my dinner.

Must I eat all my soluble first before even touching the spinach or pureed green beans?

I just like the taste of everything mushed together. Is this not safe enough?

Re: When you say soluble before insoluble... new
      #181034 - 05/24/05 06:58 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

If you are still having problems which from what I have been reading you are, then I would suggest to get a base of soluble fiber in your tummy before the insoluble. You just have to try it and see. Everyone is different.

#181054 - 05/25/05 05:42 AM
LisaY

Thanks Angela, I will try that. I think I will get the hang of it after a few more weeks. I have been drinking lots of herbal tea and I really want to try Heather's fennel tea. Do you drink that? I bought Tazo Calm Tea and it is fantastic! I have been drinking about three cups a day, especially helps after meals. I will order some Acacia as well. I am really happy about finding this website.

#181055 - 05/25/05 05:47 AM
LisaY

SCgirl, Thanks for your response, my bloating has decreased alot since I have been taking Bentyl, it really helps with the spasms. Does IBS ever go away? Once I get the meals figured out I should be okay!

Solubles before Insoluble- how to?? new
      #181125 - 05/25/05 10:41 AM
Cyndy

Yep, still having problems. I do love mixing my veggies with my rice and quinoa! Maybe I should eat a dinner roll before I start dinner. But I get full real easily so all that food at once would probably not be a good thing either.

This is hard.

How do you others eat your veggies? Do you eat the entire potato or rice serving first before touching the insoluble veggie?

Just wanted to say coffee isn't recommended new
      #181127 - 05/25/05 10:45 AM
Cyndy

Even if you think it may be helping. The caffeine and acidity are killers on the tummy. They cause spasms, cramps and other problems.

Re: Just wanted to say coffee isn't recommended new
      #181163 - 05/25/05 12:10 PM
LisaY

Even decaf?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4937 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review