All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
calcium and magnesium
      #180672 - 05/22/05 04:47 PM
jewbug

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Las Vegas, Nv

In almost every health book I have and also my homeopathic physician, they say to take calcium and magesium on an empty stomach at night. I notice Heather says to take with food. Is there a reason IBS people need to take this supplement with food?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: calcium and magnesium new
      #180693 - 05/22/05 06:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Not sure on the mag, but it was my understanding that calcium is more easily absorbed by the body when taken with food.

BTW - I see you're in Vegas. Interested in the IBS Fall Sprawl in Vegas this year?

#180702 - 05/22/05 07:06 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

In almost every health book I have and also my homeopathic physician, they say to take calcium and magesium on an empty stomach at night. I notice Heather says to take with food. Is there a reason IBS people need to take this supplement with food?

That's because supplements on an empty stomach are often hard for people with IBS to take without creating cramps. In fact a lot of normal people have a hard time taking any pill without food, unless it specifically says to. But yes, minerals are the most easily absorbed at night..but I've never heard a good reason why. I do know you only absorb 500 mg. of calcium at one time that's why if you need the supplements you space them out over the day.

Ohmygoodness..you ARE right there in Vegas..come meet Heather at the Fall Sprawl and ask her all those kinds of questions in person! Kandee

--------------------

#180757 - 05/23/05 09:46 AM
jewbug

Going by the dates listed, I may be out of town, but if I am in town, the conference would be great!!!

#180759 - 05/23/05 09:48 AM
jewbug

If I am in town that week (might be fishing), the IBS Sprawl conference sounds like it would be great!!!!! And right at my back door!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review