All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Has Zelnorm worked for anyone...
      #180332 - 05/20/05 09:49 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

for longer than a few weeks? Or even a few days? It doesn't seem to do anything for me! Not even a BM let alone the D is says it may cause in the beginning.

I know it says for only 4-6 weeks usage, and if that works, it may be extended. But I don't even seem to be getting the benefits of the short term usage.

And after 4-6 weeks, what are we suppose to use to have a BM then?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has Zelnorm worked for anyone... new
      #180337 - 05/20/05 09:56 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Just went to the GI yesterday and he is having me try some samples to use in addition to my miralax. I took my first one this morning, and had 3 bowel movements already! Yes, it was D, but like you said, that can be common. Miralax alone just doesn't do it for me, unless I take over the recommened dosage. I had tried Zelnorm last fall before trying the miralax and it didn't do anything, BUT, I mentioned to the doctor I was taking alot of over the counter laxatives and even taking them while on the Zelnorm, so it sounds like that's why it didn't work before. How long have you been on it? Are you taking it 1 or 2 times daily, try 2 if only taking it 1, and are you making sure to take it on an EMPTY stomach? I asked the doc about long term and you can use it longer the 6 weeks. Some people may need to stop for a few days and start back up, but they say the same thing about Miralax, and Miralax can be used however long you want to. Again, another conflicting type of answer about a medication/supplement. I'll keep you posted on the Zelnorm and its success/or no success.

Please, need help with Zelnorm questions new
      #180372 - 05/20/05 11:40 AM
Cyndy

I tried Zelnorm last fall too, and it didn't do anything for me and I wasn't taking laxatives with it.

I've now started taking it for about a week. I was only taking 1/2 tablet in am and 1 tablet in pm because I was having some cramps and headaches from it. I thought if I only took half, the cramps and headache would be more tolerable during the day if I only took 1/2. I increased it to 2 whole tabs twice a day and still nothing!

I take it 30 minutes before breakfast but I do drink slippery elm tea before I take it. Don't know if the slippery elm is considered "food" since it is just a powder I add to my hot water, sort of like taking an sfs beforehand? Do you think that could be messing it up for me? But you know, it didn't work before when I wasn't doing the slippery elm. Would it be okay to drink herbal tea before the zelnorm?

The one I take before dinner, I have about one hour after finishing a snack. Do you think that is long enough to be considered having an empty stomach?

Oh, I also take my probiotic about 15 minutes before the zelnorm because that has to be taken on an empty tummy at least 30 minutes before meals too. Is that messing me up?

Can anyone help me with the timing of my supplements?

When you say some people may need ot stop for a few days and start back up again, did you mean at the end of the 4 to 6 weeks? Or in the beginning because of D? Or because it isn't working?

I hope you have better success than I have had with it. I'm ready to give up on it.

And still, what do people do once it stops working after the 4 to 6 weeks if it does?

Re: Has Zelnorm worked for anyone... new
      #180377 - 05/20/05 12:14 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I am on Zelnorm right now and it works for me. Although my dr. had avice me to not take it every day but to take 1/2 a pill every other day cause for me it causes serious abdominal cramping. Taking it everyday makes your body used to it and it does not work as well so i took my dr.'s advice and it works.

Re: Please, need help with Zelnorm questions new
      #180385 - 05/20/05 01:07 PM
jessica28

This morning, I took it, and about 5 minutes later started on a cup of coffee,I do fine with coffee, and ate breakfast about an hour later. Right after breakfast I went 3 times within a half hour. That never happened before when I took it. The slippery elm or tea isn't considered food, because it's just liquid anyhow, so I doubt that. I take Prozac in the morning as well, and took that around the same time. Maybe, unfortunately, it's not for you. Have you had any GI tests done? I only took the one dosage, so I have yet to see how it's going to go from here. Your other supplements should not interfere at all. You might want to experiment though just in case. Try taking the second one BEFORE you have that snack. My doctor told me I MUST take it on a completely empty stomach in order to achieve the best results. I haven't had any cramping or headaches, yet, but again, I have only taken one pill. Have you tried Miralax? Maybe miralax will be better for you. Take the Zelnorm for at least another week though before you give up on it. Hope this helps!

Jessica

Hmm, now I'm really confused new
      #180389 - 05/20/05 01:22 PM
Cyndy

I thought taking it twice a day, everyday, would it make it more effective because you would be getting more of the medicine into your system.

But your post says the opposite, sort of. That it is best to not take it everyday.

Jessica suggested the opposite, I think. That it is important to take it everyday, 2 times a day to get most effective dose and amount.

Does anyone know the answer??

do you know if ... new
      #180391 - 05/20/05 01:25 PM
Cyndy

you need to wait 30 minutes or 60 minutes to eat after taking it?

I don't think it would work to take mine before my snack. My snack is "scheduled" only 2 1/2 hours after I finish lunch and I don't know if the snack is enough food to take afterwards. I think you are suppose to take it before a meal Boy, I'm so confused.

Jessica, when do you take your doses? How do you time them with all the snacking we must do to keep our system steady and not empty. It's bad for us to have empty systems.

Re: do you know if ... new
      #180395 - 05/20/05 01:41 PM
jessica28

I know this is so confusing, because like everything on this board, there are different answers! You want to take it before I meal. Just make sure if you have some food in you, that it's not a full meal. I read the box instructions and it says if you don't take before a meal, take 2 hours after. BUT, the % of effectiveness is better on an empty stomach. I took my first one this morning and I just had a light lunch, so I'll probably take the next one about 30 minutes before dinner. I don't really get time for snacks with my job, so I just eat three meals a day. I have such bad digestion right now so it's hard for me to eat snacks all day. What suggestions did your doctor give you when prescribing Zelnorm? Don't get frustrated! We'll find what works best for you!

Just a thought... new
      #180411 - 05/20/05 02:37 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I have no idea is this is accurate or not, but for ME I find that taking probiotics can really constipate me. That's WHY I took them when some antibiotics gave me D and I was stopped up for days, which NEVER happens to me (I am IBS-D).

I dunno if this is typical or not, I know that probiotics are really good for you.. maybe it was just with me that they were constipating. I just thought I'd throw that out there in case I can help any.

Good luck, I hope you get stuff movin'!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Zelnorm HAS TO BE on an EMPTY stomach to work for me- new
      #180439 - 05/20/05 10:51 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

other than water. I find if I take it after beginning ating, it doesn't work. You also have to give it some time to dissolve before you piut food into you. I eat it as I'm beginning preparing dinner or breakfast, and by the time it's ready, the Zelnorm's ready to work.

I've been on it for weeks and it's changed my life.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Cyndy- I know someone(shell Marr?) had said that new
      #180440 - 05/20/05 10:57 PM
_Willow

for her, it loses it's effectiveness after a while. She takes a break from it occasionally and then goes back for a few days, and it works wonders. Maybe you need to go on strike for a few days, return doing it EXACTLY the way suggested(totally empty stomach, with lots of water, about 15-30 mins before a meal)and then it'll work. And you can always try more, hon. Three a day is safe.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Shannon, help!! SOS new
      #180599 - 05/22/05 08:51 AM
Cyndy

How long before taking the zelnorm in the evening do you stop eating anything? One hour? Two hours? Longer?

I know we are suppose to keep snacking throughout the day to keep are systems even keeled. So I don't want to let myself get too "empty" or that could cause an attack as well.

Is it okay to drink herbal teas beforehand, or just plain water? If teas are not allowed beforehand either, how far ahead of taking the zelnorm should I stop drinking any herbal tea?

Thanks. I'm trying to get this down, but it is hard with all the other helpful guidelines. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, my probiotic NEEDS to be taken 3o minutes before a meal, so when can I take that and the zelnorm before a meal? It doesn't seem possibe to take the probiotic 30 minutes before a meal and the zelnorm 30 minutes before a meal too if the zelnorm cannot be taken with the probiotic.

Please help me figure out a food/supplement/med timetable if you can. I would be so grateful to you.

Shell Marr, is this true? new
      #180602 - 05/22/05 09:12 AM
Cyndy

Is this what you do? Tell me more, please

Re: Shell Marr, is this true? new
      #180644 - 05/22/05 11:56 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

It's not me sweetie that is taking it... I've never taken Zelnorm. Sorry I could not be of more help...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Oops-I don;t recall who then. new
      #180666 - 05/22/05 03:29 PM
_Willow

Thought I'd give it a stab

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Hmm...Well, I'm no expert,, but let's fig. this out!!*LONG MUSHY POST* new
      #180669 - 05/22/05 03:56 PM
_Willow

OK: here's what I do...

My routines have taken some serious practice-doing Heather's diet guidelines and getting enough liquid and taking Zelnorm and having GERD and trying to lose weight...it's been a tough balance. But it's WORKING!!

In the morning, right as soon as I get up, I have my Zelnorm with a few gulps of water. Water tastes like barf to me on an empty stomach though!

I have my shower, and then go downstairs and blend up my smoothie and drink it. By that time, at least, the Zelnorm is dissolved a bit in my system. My smoothie has the Metamucil, berries, soy milk and soy protein in it, and gets thick as a milkshake and you don't have to gag down the fiber that way because it feels natural.

You could possibly have your probiotic 30 mins before and your Zelnorm 15 mins. before a meal. Did you know that it takes 3 hours for your stomach to fully empty?

Because I'm a teacher, I drink my breakfast at about 7 AM, then I have my Chai tea latte from about 7:30 to 9. It's lower in caffeine and I make sure it's half soy milk so it's not all for naught!! I have to make it at home and and take it to work, because otherwise I'd be too full=attack.

I eat some animal crackers or as piece of benign fruit at morning recess(about 10)-no more than apple size.
After morning recess, I try to drink a coffee mug full of water.
At lunch break, I eat a reg. meal. Once my tummy has digested a bit, I start on my P.M. mug of water (or Chai tea, depending on how wild the kids are that day,LOL!)

I have 2 or 3 cookies, only if I'm starving, at PM recess(2:15ish.) I usually am fine till I get home, or at least till after school. I find if I don't keep a tiny bit in there, I do get super hungry and eat more than I mean to.

After school I always have some toast. This is usually at about 4 PM. I tend to forget to drink in the evening, I'll admit. I naturally only crave about 2 glasses a day.

I then eat NOTHING till about 7:00. My suppertime is later, but I'm always up till midnight. So, I take my Zelnorm as I begin to prep supper, which is anytime betw. 15 and 30 minutes. For you, maybe you can take your probiotic right before preparing dinner, and then halfway through, have the Zelnorm.

If I have my Zelnorm on even a bit of food in the tummy, it just does not work.

A note-I do eat my dinner late, but because of my GERD I have to be SUPER careful that I don't fall asleep on a full or even partially full tummy. If I do, it's GUARANTEED attack that night, and I don't sleep and I have asthma all night. Whee!

So, that's how I can tell you that a full tummy is empty by 3 hours.

As I said, so far, I have lost 11 pounds(though with the strep throat right now, I'm sure that number will rise)and feel remarkably better. My doctor is just thrilled that my C is 99% GONE!!!

Cyndy, I hope this helps you a lot. I SWEAR that nothing else in my life has ever gotten rid of the C (I still have cramps but they're way milder, and I still get D, but not as painfully, and I don't mind it) and no other lifestyle change-Weight Watchers, South Beach,burning my butt off at the gym-has ever had me lose so much in such a short period of time.(and made me want to stick to it too! )

I had actually cried to my doctor recently because I thought "since I am on steroids my weight just is MEANT to stick." Even he was stunned at how quickly I'd lost so much.

I owe so much to Heather and the ladies and gents here! I just hope that I am giving back to you in some way here too.

PS- I would assume that herbal tea wouldn't interfere...unless you think that it digests-if you think it's causing problems, or if you put sugar or cream or anything else in it-it might interact. you could try having no tea before breakfast...it's hard for me to go an hour before my AM. warmup but its easier on the gut. Of course, if the tea is your probiotic, that's not a choice!

I guess you could, in that case, try Zelnorm an hour before, but that might be too long!

Hope so much that this helps!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by SoreTummyMommy (05/23/05 11:39 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4922 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review