All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Had first GI appt...going in for Barium Enema Wednesday...
      #180171 - 05/19/05 04:35 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Had first GI appt...going in for Barium Enema Wednesday... new
      #180172 - 05/19/05 04:37 PM
jessica28

Oops, here's the rest!

So, he's having me get a barium enema done, not excited about the prep. He gave me some Zelnorm to try on top of Miralax as well. Once I get this test then he's going to determine exactly what's going on. I'm nervous! Who's had this test and what happens? I'm a C!

Jessica

Re: Had first GI appt...going in for Barium Enema Wednesday... new
      #180178 - 05/19/05 04:52 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hey there, neighbor to the north! Sounds like summer's finally going to really start this weekend!

I had a BE done last month. While it's not the most pleasent expereince ever, many of us here made it through, so I'm sure you can, too .

The prep is the same as a colonoscopy, so this is a really helpful link from the Crohn's board:
Prep for Colonoscopy

You'll probably want to take off work the day before (cause you're on a liquid diet all day and then in the evening, you'll REALLY want to be at home ) and then the day of the exam (at least in the am. I was doing ok by afternoon, but stayed home anyway!)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions,
--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Greetings from Phoenix! new
      #180181 - 05/19/05 05:06 PM
jessica28

Yes, it's finally hit 100 here, going to be 107 this weekend. Oh well. Anyways, thanks for the tips, I'll keep you posted! One more question..what happens the day you go in, what do they do?

Good luck, Jessica.... new
      #180200 - 05/19/05 07:00 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

it was awful for me, but I'd just gotten over a mean stomach bug the week before. It is not nice, and the prep is yuck, and if they blow you up with air(double constrast like me) then that's the most awkward thing ever. But, you know what? It's just so nice to know there's no scarier reason than IBS for your tummy troubles. Let us know how it goes, OK?

Good lcuck. BTW-pop a few Tylenol before you go just in case-that way maybe the gut nerves won't be sooo hyper.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

OK-since it's so fresh in my mind I hope it's not too tempered w/ scary.... new
      #180201 - 05/19/05 07:08 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

The prep is of course several laxatives that will make you poop pure water. uck. The The day of the test you are in a gown, (keep in mind I'm in canada, I know our test is the tough one)lay on an X ray table, and they put this...umm, thing-a tube attached to a holey piece of plastic the size of a baby tomato....in your rectum about 2 inches. Be ready for that!(for me that was by far the worst part.) They then pump about a cup of barium (and for me, also, what felt like a gastank full of air) up in there and ask you to move around the table so you can get the barium everywhere. Then the easy part is they take pics of your insides thru X ray and ask you to roll on this side, that side etc. Then they pull out the tube and you spend the next ...6 hours trying to poop but nothing wants to really come out. Oh, and it's white. Don't be freaked out by that!LOL! you'll feel OK by the next morning, but that night I just cuddled on the couch in the fetal position.LOL!!

On the upside, i hear that's mych better than those lucky colonoscopy people.

Of course, here in Canada, they don't even THINK of giving you meds to relax you a bit. They might in the U.S.

Good luck, girl. It's worth a giggle a few days later once you're over the trauma.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: OK-since it's so fresh in my mind I hope it's not too tempered w/ scary.... new
      #180221 - 05/19/05 09:49 PM
jessica28

Great! Looking forward to it! The prep is really yucky sounding, but whatever I need to do. So, did you feel sick that day afterwards? I'm reading that I may get very weak and dizzy...I'm assuming that's because of the liquid diet before and all the laxatives? I'll let you know how it goes!

Re: OK-since it's so fresh in my mind I hope it's not too tempered w/ scary.... new
      #180325 - 05/20/05 09:21 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Jessica!
Good luck on Wednesday. Honestly, the test was not that bad. The prep is the "worst" because you cannot eat and then, in my case, I had to drink Fleet-Phosho soda, take four laxatives, and use a suppository the morning of. What you believe after all of that I had one bowel movement?! The exam itself isnt bad at all-the only thing is slight discomfort as there was a bit of pressure in the bum. Like you, I was really nervous but, honestly, it is not scary or painful at all.

Good luck!!!

#180331 - 05/20/05 09:46 AM
jessica28

Thanks! I have the exact same prep kit..only one bowel movement? Wow! So, what types of things did they find with you if you don't mind me asking?

Jessica

#180357 - 05/20/05 11:09 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Jessica-
No, I dont mind you askign at all. I think my body's inability to respond to laxatives is odd. Does anyone else have this problem? For my colonoscopy (had to have two, as the first did not work as I was not "cleaned out" enough) where I drank teh Go-Litely (4 L) and followed up with four laxatives, I WENT JUST TWICE!!! I was bouncing around the room, waiting for something to happen. My barium enema, however, showed that my colon was healthy. I just completed a colonic transit study and awaiting those results to see whether my colon is slow in moving materials out of my body (causing all this back-up).

I was originally diagnosed with IBS-C based on colonoscopy, CAT-scan, Barium Enema but now, further testing including Defogram revealed that my pelvic floor is descending and I have a retrocele (which could be causing C maybe, but not bloat and all these other IBS-type symptoms). So I have one more test in teh next few weeks to determine what is going on. It is called a anorectal manometry, basically to look at how my rectum moves waste out. I personally think ti si very odd that my colon doesn't respond to laxatives at all-despite never having a history of laxative abuse and being, too, that I am SO young (only 24!).

But, dont worry abotu the BE. I am not a "brave soul" by any means, and it was not that bad at all. fEel free to email if you have any questions! I am happy to help and good luck!

Kristen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3407

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review