All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating Out
      #178064 - 05/10/05 04:57 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Could anyone recommend a restaurant chain that is IBS friendly? My fiance and I have not been out together since my diagnosis for fear that I maight eat something that may trigger. I am still fairly new to this whole situation. I am still unsure of what I can and cannot eat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating Out new
      #178065 - 05/10/05 05:00 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! Try doing a search for specific chains near you. I just looked briefly, but I saw threads on Chilis and other places. Good luck!

#178070 - 05/10/05 05:14 PM
b232

What do you mean by thread? I am really new to this message borad and to the IBS circuit. I am completely lost. And plus what do you mean by Chilis? What is safe to eat there?

#178072 - 05/10/05 05:18 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

If you look at the top menu bars, there's a place to click that says "Search." Type in keywords (so, restaurant names, or even just the word restaurant) and past discussions will pop up for you. I don't know exactly what was said about Chili's, I never read those threads because I'm a vegetarian. If you need more help, the bookmarked posts at the top for Newbies are a good place to look.

#178075 - 05/10/05 05:23 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Here are a few that I have found okay - don't know if you have any near you though.

El Pollo Loco - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast w/ flour tortilla.

Baja Fresh - Chicken Taco- plain (chicken only)

TGI Fridays - Charbroiled Chicken Breast sandwich

Pick Up Stix - House Chicken add water chestnuts (eat with lots of rice.

Taco Bell - Chicken Taco (fresco style - no cheese)

I have also found that I can eat at Italian restaurants if you can tell the manager that you CAN NOT have any dairy. If I get pasta with blackened chicken or shrimp and marinara on the side I'm usually okay.

Hope this helps,
Leigh

#178077 - 05/10/05 05:25 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I am originally from near Seguin, so I am trying to think of a restaurant that I know is safe there, and I can't think of one off the top of my head. San Marcos will probably have more options. But at Chili's you can get the basil chicken pasta, but say " no garlic bread, no cheese, and marinara sauce on the side". I eat the chicken, pasta, basil, and just a tiny bit of the sauce, and I seem to do just fine.

Also, any "american" food type place such as steak houses, are usually a good bet, because you can ask for grilled chicken (ask them to go easy on the oil and make sure they don't use seasoning with MSG), and a plain baked potatoe. If there is a Salt Grass steak house nearby, then I get the grilled chicken sandwich (without the bacon and cheese, and regular mustard instead of the honey mustard) and a plain baked sweet potatoe on the side.

Just try and stick to restaurants where you can get chicken, pasta, or potatoe, but always be very specific on the "use little oil".

My family likes to eat at a few mexican restaurants in Seguin, but I have found that they have absolutely no understanding of "use only a little oil", so I would avoid the mexican food restaurants.

Good luck. Stay calm. I usually take a soluble fiber pill, and some digestive enzymes before eating out. And I also like to know where the restroom is, before I sit down, just to help ease my mind.

#178112 - 05/10/05 08:51 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's a recent post that will link you to some other posts about restaurants.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178257 - 05/11/05 10:23 AM
b232

I am starting to feel so informed. I THANK EVERYONE for all their help and answers. I am so happy at some of the choices that I have now!!!

Japanese! new
      #178287 - 05/11/05 11:06 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Japanese resturants have several safe choices. And I always order a side bowl of rice, which is nice. Sushi is great if you like that, and if not, I've had no problems with terrioki (sp?) chicken or fish.

I also don't have problems at a mediteranian place where I get hummus (w/o the extra olive oil) and pita bread.

Good luck! Eating out has been one of the hardest things for me since starting this diet. I'm so paranoid and ask 100 questions before I order anything!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1190

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review