All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather! Help! Oat Bran!
      #17678 - 08/18/03 03:51 PM
MsJamieSullivan

Reged: 07/09/03

Hello Heather! I suffer from IBS-C. I have begun to read your book "The First Year". In the book you stress the importance of soluble fiber. I went to the local health food store and the attnedant told me that oat bran is an excellent source of soluble fiber. I bought a pound of REAL oat bran, in the raw! I found some cool recipes on the internet, and I most often eat it as oatmeal, bread, and muffins. The attendant suggested that I eat 1/3 cup of the oat bran a day. Do you agree with this amount?? I am a petite 16 year old and I weigh appx. 80lbs. Do you have any other advice regarding the oat bran? THANK YOU SO Much!! Also, is fruit good to eat, in regards to its aiding in IBS symptoms?
C. Peele

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather! Help! Oat Bran! new
      #17682 - 08/18/03 05:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - oat bran (unlike wheat bran) is very high in soluble fiber. You could use it as you would a soluble fiber supplement like Benefiber or Equalactin, or you could just use it as cereal. For soluble fiber doses (which will be per gram) check here web page

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather! Help! Oat Bran! new
      #17703 - 08/18/03 06:59 PM
MsJamieSullivan

Reged: 07/09/03

Heather, thanks for responding so quickly and providing me with the info that I needed. However, I am a little confused. The article that you suggested stated, "The USDA recommended minimum fiber intake for adults is 25 to 35 grams daily, and soluble fiber should account for one third of this amount." One third of 30 grams, is only barely 1.2 ounces. Is this the correct amount? Or should I stick with the one third cup? THANK YOU!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 871 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review