All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Phobias
      #176286 - 05/03/05 03:48 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I might be sounding like a crazy nutter but does anyone else have a similar phobia to mine? I,ve had a phobia of vomiting since I was 5yrs old and as I've got older also a phobia of D, which is a nightmare especially as I get IBS D. Or does anyone else have any weird phobias to share? Food i'm sure is probably quite high on all our lists!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Phobias new
      #176290 - 05/03/05 04:16 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

phobia of vomiting BIG time - allll my life and hate D because it makes me feel like I am going to vomit...everytime I think I have got poisoning..you'd think I'd learn by now! I made an appointment with a psychotherapist this afternoon to aid me with this phobia because I had a crying fit after some D today that I've had enough of this version of me!!! so its pretty amazing you posted this!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#176291 - 05/03/05 04:26 PM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

When I'm having a bout of IBS (which for me can mean D several times a day) I don't even want to leave the house because I get panic attacks since I may need an immediate bathroom. I have read that IBS and panic disorder (which includes phobias) have a very high rate of comorbidity (meaning folks who have one often have the other). You are not alone, and I think it's a pretty rational reaction of the brain to freak out about vomiting or D since the body seems to lose control.

#176349 - 05/03/05 08:01 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Heck yeah! Add to that the phobia where you can't sit anywhere but the aisle seat at the movie theater (because wouldn't it suck to stumble over all those people when you have to go 2-3 times during a movie?) and the phobia about riding in other people's cars (you're not in control and what if you go in their car?)

#176351 - 05/03/05 08:11 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

Yes I have a phobia of vomiting! I don't know exactly when it started but I used to have problems with nausea when I was a kid. In my teens I was addicted to Gravol because I ALWAYS felt like throwing up. I wouldn't go anywhere where people where drinking incase I saw someone throw up. If I heard it or knew someone was getting sick I had panic attacks. Now because I'm so concerned with IBS I don't feel nauseous nearly as much and it's Immodium in place of Gravol. I do fear having D and that prevents me from going anywhere unless I am in my own car and can escape if needed. Phobias suck!

I think you'll find... new
      #176367 - 05/03/05 09:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...that fear of vomiting (emetophobia) is really common on here. I definitely have it, to the point where being near someone who was recently sick with a stomach bug will send me into hysterics and panic attacks - even though I'm on anti-anxiety meds!

No good advice, just letting you know that you're definitely not alone!

Yep... there's a whole bunch of us new
      #176420 - 05/04/05 06:29 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I'm one too. I don't get bad D that often, but I know it does scare the cr*p outta me (no pun intended!) when it happens. Almost every time I eat I'm afraid that this'll be the meal where IT happens. It drives me absolutely round the bend.

Like you, I couldn't go to the pub for years and years, in case I saw someone being sick, or heard that someone got sick. I'm getting better at other people being sick now.... but only when I know for sure it's definitely alcohol related.. and only if I don't have to actually see or hear it! I never, ever drink myself, and I'll only eat chicken at places where people sue if they get food poisoned (which is basically American fast food chains, we're not a very litigious society here). I can't watch Fear Factor because of the bit where they eat gross stuff.

I've had the worst year of it since last Easter. The UNTHINKABLE happened, and I threw up twice on the same night. Oddly, the second time wasn't as bad, because I'd accepted that I was sick and I knew what to do.
I'd basically convinced myself that as a seasoned emetophobic, my body was simply incapable of throwing up, but that episode blew that idea right out of the water, and I've had a panic attack most days since! It's kinda wearing off to a degree though. My greatest achievement with it was actually yesterday, when the girl sitting next to me at work all of a sudden got sick and came back and told the girl on her other side that she'd just lost her lunch. It was like a big icy sword in the pit of my stomach when I heard that.... but I DIDN'T GO HOME! So proud of me!

Heh, that's a lot of banging on about it! Sorry!

--------------------
*Emma*

#176471 - 05/04/05 08:01 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have the same phobias. If I can't sit in an aisle seat at the movies, airplane, etc. I almost go into a panic. If I get stuck in the middle I think the whole time how I can get out if I have too. I also don't like to ride with other people. If I have to make a stop I want to be in control.

I do have a fear of barfing and whenever I hear of anyone that is sick my stomach starts to hurt immediately. Lately I have had a fear of germs. I work at a school so I am washing my hands all the time. I am so worried that I will get sick.

Of course, when away from home I am ALWAYS afraid of having an attack of D and having to find a bathroom.

Just thought I was weird about things. Glad to hear that I am not the only one.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I think you'll find... new
      #179685 - 05/17/05 07:14 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

So nice to see other emetophobes on here too. I also have panic attacks when around people who are vomiting and i always fear that I will vomit somewhere not at home...or even at home...NOT good when you have IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review