For retrograde and all the veggies/vegans out there
      #175955 - 05/02/05 06:46 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So I don't dairy, right?

And I don't need fish/poultry, right?

And I don't need soy, right?

(Which is VWERY exciting because these foods are majr probs for me!)

So....where can I get protein?

I am gluten free and I keep Kosher.

I can eat beans no problem.

Any ideas for me? Tofu hurts my tummy as does soy.

Can i make it without the animals? I just find they make me sick BUT I have to get my protein and eat it too

Thanks you guys *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For retrograde and all the veggies/vegans out there new
      #175957 - 05/02/05 06:56 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I can't do soy either, Rache dear, and I'm a vegetarian. I get my protein from peanut butter (a little bit on a sandwich or crackers, only 1x per day or else it's too much fat for me), rice milk and rice cheese (I know the rice cheese has casein in it, but it's a calorie/nutrition thing for me), egg whites, and quinoa mainly. I can't really do beans, so I think you'll be fine since you can eat those! I don't know about the kosher aspect of getting some of this stuff, but Whole Foods has at least the rice milk and rice cheese, egg white substitutes (which is what I use, I have Eggology right now, it's great it keeps in the fridge for 3-4 months unlike the 7 days of the other stuff), and quinoa (I even have some quinoa and corn pasta right now that's not bad, it's a little grainy in texture, not as smooth as normal pasta, but I like it!).

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Ruchie: some ideas... new
      #175967 - 05/02/05 07:13 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

- Nuts and seeds are pretty high in protein, but you'd want to have them in small amounts obviously because they're high in fat; I try to have about 10-20 nuts each day though, spaced out in 2-4 servings

- Beans and legumes are always a good standby and are quite high in protein, so it's good to hear you're ok with those. Try to get a few servings of these a day.

- Have you every tried spirulina or chorella? They're algaes (sounds gross I know) but lots of my vegan friends eat them and they're actually not bad. They're over 60% protein (greater than a steak by far!) and super-good-for-you with tons of vitamins and minerals. Almost certainly they're totally IF though so you'd have to eat with SF etc... Good in smoothies, vegetable juices, soups etc. I think you can also buy them in powder form, though I'm not sure if the protein would be preserved there or not...? You'd have to check that out.

- The more fruits and veggies you can get safely the better, they all contain a bit of protein, especially dark green ones.

- Whole grains too have more protein than refined ones, so the more of these you can get safely the better.

- I'm pretty clueless about gluten-free... can you have rice? If so there are rice protien powders out on the market now that you can mix into drinks or smoothies or bake with and are a great way to easily get protein.

- Check out this page too on protein in the vegan diet.

And just a note: I know I'm a big proponent of protein over on the fitness board, but keep in mind I also do a lot of weight training, which means my protein needs are significantly higher than the average person. I do my best to eat as little animal products if as I can but I do have egg whites everyday, and fish a few times a week. Without these two items (and very occassional indulgences of chicken, and honey, which some/most vegans don't eat) I am totally vegan. However I also eat a lot of soy as a source of protein which you can't tolerate well.

In other words, I eat a relatively high protein diet, and most vegans eat relatively low-normal levels of protein *which is totally healthy*. At your weight Ruchie something in the range of 60-70g of protein a day should be sufficient. However, if you're finding that you are low on energy, you should probably work to try to get more protein. Your body is pretty good at telling you what it needs.

Anyway, hope that helps some!

#175970 - 05/02/05 07:21 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think you virtually answered your own questions! With a variety of foods, protein is NO PROBLEM.

You said beans/lentils are agreeable--add a little here and there. Puree them for easy absoption. Can you tolerate mushrooms? Nutritional yeast? Chollera/sea veg.? Spirulina is high in protein. There are tons of fortified rice and nut milks/products. Grains offer a lot of protein.
Can you eat quinoa? How 'bout hemp? I personally like hemp. You said soy causes you problems? Does all soy disagree with you? I'm pretty okay with fermented soy, personally...and soy without added sugars, etc. If you give me t.v.p. or a soy patty/burger/mock meat my body rebels and spazzes but they're generally full of gluten, additives and crap.

Do you tolerate green veggies alright?

Basically, with a diversity of foods, protein isn't a problem. There is no substitute for meat. Meat is meat. Vegans just eat other things that do not offend them or their bodies.

Listen to your body, Ruchie. Perhaps it is trying to instruct you, send you a message. Are you okay with seeds and sprouts? I know you love potatoes. You can do tons of things with a spud. I suppose my diet is a little bizzare...but different days call for different foods.
I don't know where to begin, but know that you'll easily get enough protein with a variety of foods and you seem to be able to tummy a variety.

You'll smell better, have more energy, a lightness of being and joie de vivre with higher vibrational foods.

Re: Retrograde's ideas new
      #175972 - 05/02/05 07:28 PM
Wind

Retrograde:

You post so perfectly. You said it better than me!!!

Thanks for mentioning the chollera/algae/sea veg. factor.
I really like it and it supplies tons of protein as well as flavour enhancement/anti-oxidants. It really agrees with me!!!

You know what? I'm okay with sugar free soy and fermented soy, but as soon as junk, i.e. sugars get added my body rebels! Creepy, huh? I almost feel a little guilty with a few drops of soy here and there, but well...so be it.

You're right. With some colour, creativity, and a variety of sources, it's hard not to get enough protein/vitamins/minerals/amino acids, etc.

Oh...hemp is another good source of protein. Sprouts/sprouted grains and legumes really agree with me personally and they supply alot of protein/enzymes. Also, mushrooms do too. So, there you go.

Take care.
Kate (Wind).

#175986 - 05/02/05 07:50 PM
retrograde

Hi Kate! (aka Wind!)

Thanks for compliments!
I've never tried hemp... how do you eat it? I know a friend of mine was taking a hemp protein powder when he was training for a race a while back. Are there other ways to eat it? Like can you buy it as a grain or something?

That's interesting that sugar-free soy doesn't cause you any problems. Do you eat sugar anywhere else or are you totally off it? I try to stay away from it but I do drink sweetened soy milk. And Luna bars!

#176011 - 05/02/05 09:27 PM
Snow for Sarala

Peanut butter! Ok, I'm gonna try it on a rice cake. Rice milk has gluten and rice cheese isn't Kosher. *sigh* I can do egg whites and sometimes quinoa. Beans...gotta call and be sure they are gluten free!!!!! I keep forgetting so I haven't had them in ages!

I had polenta tonight! Not a ton of protein but it's def a start! Ever had it?

Melissa...you're the best *hugs* Thank you bunches!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie: some ideas... new
      #176015 - 05/02/05 09:49 PM
Snow for Sarala

Laurel,

Hi there! I bought some flax meal today to add to cereal. And I bought some pumpkin seeds. I didn't know seeds have protein That's terrific news! How many would you eat at a meal? 5?

I did NOT know spirulina and chlorella (sp) had protein! I am gonna check it out! Do you have to buy it in a bottle or can you buy it in pure form? I've only seen it in a bottle at the store.

The rice proteins I've found often have barley in em'...meaning they contain gluten. I've looked! (But I plan to keep looking...as y u never know, they are coming out with something new all the time it seems!)

I only eat whole grains and white potatoes and white rice sometimes. So I'm good there

my naturopath has me on a special diet. He wants me to eat some fat and prtein with carbs at every meal. He didn't give me a specific amount of protein...just that I should be getting some at every meal.

Thank you soooo much for your help *huge hugs* You always have super ideas!!!!

With love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176016 - 05/02/05 09:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm not sure about sprouts...are they gf?

What IS hemp? I see it but I don't know what it is?

Thanks you Wind *hugs* (Sorry so short...it's late and I wanted to reply before bed!) *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176069 - 05/03/05 07:03 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Ruchie,

Strict Vegetarian here!

I know you said that you cannot tolerate soy, but can you tolerate tempeh even though it is soy? I have read that since it is fermented it is more easily digestable. It is available in HFS and some grocery stores. If I understand, barly is not gluten free? cause I know one kind of tempeh I buy has barley, rice, and millet added to it. There is another kind, but I am not sure what is in it.
Kidney beans! If you can eat them, blend them in some pasta sauce, then eat it over your brown rice pasta.
chickpeas, you can make hummus! Plenty of recipes in the index on the recipe board, and in heather's book!
Lentils, there is a red lentil recipe for a mexican dip or something in Heather's EFI book. Sounds good and I am trying it soon, but will probably eat it more like a stuffing for pita bread (which you can't do- but you could think of something solouble to go with it).
There is also a lentil soup recipe in Heather's First year recipe.
heather's smoky black bean dip.... YUM! I omit the chipotle pepper, but it still tastes great! Instead of eating it as a dip I stuff it in a tortilla as a burrito with some salsa, and maybe some guacamole if I am adventurous.
Check out some vegan cookbooks, I have Simply Vegan (great recipes that are EASY), How it All Vegan, and the Garden of Vegan. YOu can probably find htem in your library, copy the recipes that you like! Most of them are IBS safe, or easily adaptable. THere are even recipes for bean burgers made from chickpeas and stuff.
If you do go vegan, make sure you take a B12 supplement!
And Laurel is right, unless you are weight lifting, you do not need as much protein as people may think.
It is actually laughed at as a joke in the vegetarian/vegan community about people always saying "How do you get enough protein?"
I also use PB too. maybe sneak some PB in at your snacks, like how you mentioned putting it one your rice cakes, i do that too! YUMS! making me hungry...
And animal food makes me sick, too, that is part of the reason why I gave it up. Fish and egg whites have never seemed to bother me, but I gave them up for moral reasons. I may go back to egg whites though, soon. Not quite sure yet.
I also second Laurel's idea about the protein powder. You may need to find it online, though. if you eat a cereal, you could mix it in that!
That is all that I can think of right now, because even though I love trying to get variety in, I have been so lazy and busy that i haven't been cooking, so I have been eating alot of soy 'burgers' and 'chikin', tofu and stuff of the sort.
I eat alot of soy, I couldn't live without it!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Hemp, etc. new
      #176092 - 05/03/05 07:56 AM
Wind

Yes, hemp and sprouts are gf. Mushrooms are gf. GF rice, hemp, pea, etc. protein powders are available. Re: spirulina/chollera...it is available in powder form. I currently use Nu-Greens spirulina powder. Other sea veg. have tons of nutrients, minerals, etc. Re: tempeh: I haven't come across any gf tempeh, personally.
Most miso is gf--although there is one variety that involves
barley. Personally, I use the less "pungent" or "strong" varieties--shiro (white) miso, and shinsu shiru (yellow) miso, but then again that involves soy, culture, rice--either white or brown.
Just take a vitamin b12 supplement to be on the safe side...I do, although spirulina is loaded with the stuff!!!
Re: soy milk...there are brands that are gf and sugar free.
But, then again, consuming soy is an issue/irritant for some.
Most soy "products" (i.e. packaged mock meat--gross and personally offensive/insulting to my system) are not gf, with a few exceptions.
Wow...if you have any more questions, just ask.

Re: Retrograde/Hemp new
      #176104 - 05/03/05 08:27 AM
Wind

Hi Retrograde.

Hemp is available in seed form. It is available in flour form, i.e. you could bake with it. There is hemp oil, hemp seed butter, hemp burgers...it's becoming quite popular. It tastes kind of nutty/seedy, but not in the way peanutbutter or almonds, or pumpkin/sunflower seeds do. They even make Hemp "faux" icecream. It's becoming increasingly available and a popular protein alternative. My dad was on a veggie trip for Lent, and he really liked Hemp!!! Go figure, a fifty-six year old liking Hemp! He liked Ruth's Shitake Mushroom and Hemp burgers, which incidentally are gf...the hemp is mixed with basmati rice, shitake mushrooms, etc. ]

Re: me and sugar. I don't eat Luna bars or any "bars"...or
really any "products." If I do consume sugar, it's in the form of fruit. It's kind of creepy if you look in my fridge/cupboards; I have a whole food diet/lifestyle. There's no cookies or chips or anything like that. I'd love a dehydrator to make some root chips!!!

I just find that sugars, and added sugar makes me feel ill, i.e. nauseated. If I do sweeten anything, it's with stevia.
Maybe it's an age thing? I don't know. Hypoglycemia and diabetes run in my family. Sugars also interfere with my mood and my focus...and beyond fresh fruit, I feel bloated with sugars. If anything, I crave salt.

Lately, I've been using increasing sea veg./spirulina. Perhaps my iodine levels are low and that's why I'm craving the sea veg. I roll a lot of my own veg. sushi at home, too, for snacks/mini-meals...heck, I've even eaten it for breakfast--no joke!

My grain preferences are gf--I find that gluten personally makes me feel gassy and bloated.

My latest project is home sprouting. Do you tolerate/enjoy sprouts? They really agree with me. I had no idea re: their protein value until recently checking them out. They've got high levels of natural enzymes in them, too. Perhaps that's why I find them agreeable--I don't know!

Hemp seeds are really tiny, kind of like ground flax, size-wise. They're great sprinkled in a rice/pasta dish, or on cereal, or in a smoothie. I suppose they'd be good in a baked good or salad--if you're into that. Apparently hemp has a perfect omega 3/omega 6 fatty acid balance.

I've sampled hemp protein powder, and it's better than rice protein powder flavour wise.

Have you tried any hemp foods? Just curious.

Re: Hemp, etc. new
      #176108 - 05/03/05 08:40 AM
Snow for Sarala

I just did a search for Nu Green...and I can't find out if it's Kosher or a contact number....do you know anything about this Kate?

Soy milk makes me HURT! Soy yogurt does as well...but not as bad.

I didn't know mushrooms have protein! Do you ever get a weird, warm feeling when you eat them? They make me feel funny They're obviousy very powerful!

Thanks again Kate

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176795 - 05/05/05 08:00 AM
retrograde

I've never had any hemp products, except for prepackaged hemp waffles my mom picked up for us one time at the grocery store when we were visiting (they were pretty good). I think the hemp flour would be especially great to bake with, so I'd love to be able to find that (that will be my next scavenger hunt).

I'm not too bad with sugars, but I find any refined sugars give me that kind of 'ick' feeling - even Luna bars sometimes (though when you're running around all day the convenience is great, if only they were cheaper...) But I love sweet foods to no end, not junk but naturally sweet foods. So I eat a lot of fruit, and add honey to teas and sometimes if I can get raw sugar, plus I often bake with maple syrup or malt syrup.

You're lifestyle sounds amazing, re: whole foods etc. I'd love to be able just cook everything I eat from scratch, eat organic all the time, grow some of my own food. in a few years when I'm not a student any more (or at least on to my second degree with a bit more cash ). But even now I'm starting to each much healthier/more naturally and it feels so good.

When I was growing up my mom always had sprouts going in the fridge (that and homemade yogurt! lol) Unfortunately I can only tolerate them now in the teeniest tiniest amounts, so it's hardly worth it when you can hardly even taste them on a sandwich I didn't realize they were high protein though.

#176842 - 05/05/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Wouldn't a hemp pizza crust be yummy? Higher protein, too.

I wish I had a food dehydrator to make my own dehydrator treats--beets, turnips, carrots, tarot, sweet potatoe--ROOT CHIPS, etc. Nature's candy!!!

White sugar is nasty--refined with bone char. Raw is much better if sweetening is required. Have you tried agave nectar? I'm not at the cruelty to bees and trees phase that I once believed.

Before IBS, I dined 90 percent in the RAW. After bouts of violent diarrhea and perpetual spasms, and then the other spectrum of IBS and too many M.D. examinations and then a final diagnosis of IBS, I was forced to modify/alter my eating style for the sake of my sanity and love of my human animal.

Re: sprouts. Yes, they have a lot of protein, if you eat enough of them. THEY agree with me, personally, if I have sf in me. I often add them to rice, etc. I like to put them on the bottom of a plate. However, a lot of people cannot tolerate any raw, so I don't recommend it and if I'm on a D streak I avoid any sprouts like the plague. They also contain enzymes to assist in digestion, i.e. protease, lipase, etc. They're wicked in a pita/wrap. However, you're talking to someone that would chose a sprout sandwich! Or a sprout burger. Or whip up some veg. sushi with sprouts--I do a lot of this!

When you have the freedom and the means, you'll have more resources to live as you'd like to. You're amazing, incidentally. And when you're armed with a few degrees...the world better watch out

#176896 - 05/05/05 01:41 PM
retrograde

Aww, you're so sweet!!

Mmmm I bet hemp pizza crust would be amazing, with a kind of nutty flavour. (I haven't made pizza crust in ages, I should do that tonight, maybe with oat flour..? I have a bunch of that in the cupboard...)

Wow 90% raw eh? I must admit that when I first started the diet (Heather's) I really missed raw veggies and fruits - the crunchy, juicines of them. But now I've come to really prefer warm, cooked food over anything cold or raw. I even eat most of my fruit stewed and heat up applesauce for a few seconds in the microwave before I have it! I do miss convenience of just grabbing a few carrot sticks or an apple is irreplaceable, but I get by. I've basically stopped trying to sneak in a few raw foods here and there though and I've been so much more stable because of it - it's wonderful. Which is probably what my body is trying to tell me with starting to prefer cooked foods!

No I've never tried agave nectar. Is that the same thing as agave syrup, which I think is from a Mexican cactus type plant, right? Certainly sounds yummy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1819 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1730

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review