All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: Hemp, etc. new
      #176092 - 05/03/05 07:56 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yes, hemp and sprouts are gf. Mushrooms are gf. GF rice, hemp, pea, etc. protein powders are available. Re: spirulina/chollera...it is available in powder form. I currently use Nu-Greens spirulina powder. Other sea veg. have tons of nutrients, minerals, etc. Re: tempeh: I haven't come across any gf tempeh, personally.
Most miso is gf--although there is one variety that involves
barley. Personally, I use the less "pungent" or "strong" varieties--shiro (white) miso, and shinsu shiru (yellow) miso, but then again that involves soy, culture, rice--either white or brown.
Just take a vitamin b12 supplement to be on the safe side...I do, although spirulina is loaded with the stuff!!!
Re: soy milk...there are brands that are gf and sugar free.
But, then again, consuming soy is an issue/irritant for some.
Most soy "products" (i.e. packaged mock meat--gross and personally offensive/insulting to my system) are not gf, with a few exceptions.
Wow...if you have any more questions, just ask.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Retrograde/Hemp new
      #176104 - 05/03/05 08:27 AM
Wind

Hi Retrograde.

Hemp is available in seed form. It is available in flour form, i.e. you could bake with it. There is hemp oil, hemp seed butter, hemp burgers...it's becoming quite popular. It tastes kind of nutty/seedy, but not in the way peanutbutter or almonds, or pumpkin/sunflower seeds do. They even make Hemp "faux" icecream. It's becoming increasingly available and a popular protein alternative. My dad was on a veggie trip for Lent, and he really liked Hemp!!! Go figure, a fifty-six year old liking Hemp! He liked Ruth's Shitake Mushroom and Hemp burgers, which incidentally are gf...the hemp is mixed with basmati rice, shitake mushrooms, etc. ]

Re: me and sugar. I don't eat Luna bars or any "bars"...or
really any "products." If I do consume sugar, it's in the form of fruit. It's kind of creepy if you look in my fridge/cupboards; I have a whole food diet/lifestyle. There's no cookies or chips or anything like that. I'd love a dehydrator to make some root chips!!!

I just find that sugars, and added sugar makes me feel ill, i.e. nauseated. If I do sweeten anything, it's with stevia.
Maybe it's an age thing? I don't know. Hypoglycemia and diabetes run in my family. Sugars also interfere with my mood and my focus...and beyond fresh fruit, I feel bloated with sugars. If anything, I crave salt.

Lately, I've been using increasing sea veg./spirulina. Perhaps my iodine levels are low and that's why I'm craving the sea veg. I roll a lot of my own veg. sushi at home, too, for snacks/mini-meals...heck, I've even eaten it for breakfast--no joke!

My grain preferences are gf--I find that gluten personally makes me feel gassy and bloated.

My latest project is home sprouting. Do you tolerate/enjoy sprouts? They really agree with me. I had no idea re: their protein value until recently checking them out. They've got high levels of natural enzymes in them, too. Perhaps that's why I find them agreeable--I don't know!

Hemp seeds are really tiny, kind of like ground flax, size-wise. They're great sprinkled in a rice/pasta dish, or on cereal, or in a smoothie. I suppose they'd be good in a baked good or salad--if you're into that. Apparently hemp has a perfect omega 3/omega 6 fatty acid balance.

I've sampled hemp protein powder, and it's better than rice protein powder flavour wise.

Have you tried any hemp foods? Just curious.

Re: Hemp, etc. new
      #176108 - 05/03/05 08:40 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I just did a search for Nu Green...and I can't find out if it's Kosher or a contact number....do you know anything about this Kate?

Soy milk makes me HURT! Soy yogurt does as well...but not as bad.

I didn't know mushrooms have protein! Do you ever get a weird, warm feeling when you eat them? They make me feel funny They're obviousy very powerful!

Thanks again Kate

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176795 - 05/05/05 08:00 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've never had any hemp products, except for prepackaged hemp waffles my mom picked up for us one time at the grocery store when we were visiting (they were pretty good). I think the hemp flour would be especially great to bake with, so I'd love to be able to find that (that will be my next scavenger hunt).

I'm not too bad with sugars, but I find any refined sugars give me that kind of 'ick' feeling - even Luna bars sometimes (though when you're running around all day the convenience is great, if only they were cheaper...) But I love sweet foods to no end, not junk but naturally sweet foods. So I eat a lot of fruit, and add honey to teas and sometimes if I can get raw sugar, plus I often bake with maple syrup or malt syrup.

You're lifestyle sounds amazing, re: whole foods etc. I'd love to be able just cook everything I eat from scratch, eat organic all the time, grow some of my own food. in a few years when I'm not a student any more (or at least on to my second degree with a bit more cash ). But even now I'm starting to each much healthier/more naturally and it feels so good.

When I was growing up my mom always had sprouts going in the fridge (that and homemade yogurt! lol) Unfortunately I can only tolerate them now in the teeniest tiniest amounts, so it's hardly worth it when you can hardly even taste them on a sandwich I didn't realize they were high protein though.

#176842 - 05/05/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Wouldn't a hemp pizza crust be yummy? Higher protein, too.

I wish I had a food dehydrator to make my own dehydrator treats--beets, turnips, carrots, tarot, sweet potatoe--ROOT CHIPS, etc. Nature's candy!!!

White sugar is nasty--refined with bone char. Raw is much better if sweetening is required. Have you tried agave nectar? I'm not at the cruelty to bees and trees phase that I once believed.

Before IBS, I dined 90 percent in the RAW. After bouts of violent diarrhea and perpetual spasms, and then the other spectrum of IBS and too many M.D. examinations and then a final diagnosis of IBS, I was forced to modify/alter my eating style for the sake of my sanity and love of my human animal.

Re: sprouts. Yes, they have a lot of protein, if you eat enough of them. THEY agree with me, personally, if I have sf in me. I often add them to rice, etc. I like to put them on the bottom of a plate. However, a lot of people cannot tolerate any raw, so I don't recommend it and if I'm on a D streak I avoid any sprouts like the plague. They also contain enzymes to assist in digestion, i.e. protease, lipase, etc. They're wicked in a pita/wrap. However, you're talking to someone that would chose a sprout sandwich! Or a sprout burger. Or whip up some veg. sushi with sprouts--I do a lot of this!

When you have the freedom and the means, you'll have more resources to live as you'd like to. You're amazing, incidentally. And when you're armed with a few degrees...the world better watch out

#176896 - 05/05/05 01:41 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Aww, you're so sweet!!

Mmmm I bet hemp pizza crust would be amazing, with a kind of nutty flavour. (I haven't made pizza crust in ages, I should do that tonight, maybe with oat flour..? I have a bunch of that in the cupboard...)

Wow 90% raw eh? I must admit that when I first started the diet (Heather's) I really missed raw veggies and fruits - the crunchy, juicines of them. But now I've come to really prefer warm, cooked food over anything cold or raw. I even eat most of my fruit stewed and heat up applesauce for a few seconds in the microwave before I have it! I do miss convenience of just grabbing a few carrot sticks or an apple is irreplaceable, but I get by. I've basically stopped trying to sneak in a few raw foods here and there though and I've been so much more stable because of it - it's wonderful. Which is probably what my body is trying to tell me with starting to prefer cooked foods!

No I've never tried agave nectar. Is that the same thing as agave syrup, which I think is from a Mexican cactus type plant, right? Certainly sounds yummy

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review