All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Confession
      #17553 - 08/17/03 05:39 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I rarely take soluble fiber supplements. The reason is clear once again. Every time I take them I end up with horrible cramps and combination c to d. Does that make any sense? I have tried Fibercon and Citrucel with the same results. I have had such terrible days since Thursday I thought I would try this to see if it helps. Should I just continue? I am so tired of having cramps everyday and taking hours to leave the house. Okay I am exaggerating but still. Maybe it is just the humidity lately. We do have central air. Can anyone help me with this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confession new
      #17557 - 08/17/03 06:41 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Torbetta- I have always been fearful of taking fiber supplements for the exact reason you stated- I felt those symptoms would be the result. So I've just been following the IBS diet with good results. However, the humidity factor definitely plays a role in IBS attacks for me. If I'm outside exercising and the humidity is high I will feel warning signs with a fluttery feeling in my stomach. At that point, if I go in the house and keep the AC on and lie down, I can usually ward off an attack. Good luck and hang in there-the humidity should be breaking this week! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#17563 - 08/17/03 07:17 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey - sorry you're feeling so yucky. I know the humidity does it to me too.

Are you having cramps every day even without the supplements or every day you take the supplements? I'm assuming when you try taking the supplements, you start out with the low dose of 1 tsp.

Maybe neither Fibercon or Citrucel works for you. Have you thought about trying another like Benefiber or Fiberchoice?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

#17570 - 08/17/03 08:11 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've also found I don't tolerate them well either, I had constant gas and a lot of pain. My new routine is one Perdiem (which is a Calcium polycarbophil fiber pill) at night before I go to bed. I am IBS-D though, so I also take a calcium carbonate with breakfast and one with dinner. The combination of the two seem to be the right combo for me, but being on Heather's diet (with my own personal modifications, such as limited fruit, yet I can have some dairy) is still #1. Everyone is so different though, you may just have to test different remedies to find one that works for you.

#17582 - 08/17/03 10:58 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

heat and humidity can really effect IBS.

Here is some fiber info, it may take up to eight weeks for the body to adjust for some people and for others they just might not tolerate it so well period, but a lot of people can be helped by it, if they can stay with it. Part of the key to that is adding it very gradually.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Edited by Heather (08/18/03 02:28 PM)

question about equalten new
      #17584 - 08/17/03 11:38 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

how many times a day are you suppose to take equalten?
does it cause loose stools? how many pills do you take per day or week?

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: question about equalten new
      #17586 - 08/17/03 11:45 AM
*Melissa*

Start out at 2 pills 2x/day and gradually work up to 2 pills 4x/day. More info here .

Re: Mags new
      #17588 - 08/17/03 12:43 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Mags,
That is what I did yesterday. I only took two Citrucel in the evening. I guess I was wondering if I should continue taking them or stop. It isn't like I gave it a fair chance but I can't deal with the disruption when I take them. There places to go, people to see. I am sure these bad days will pass. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the problems lately. I was just thinking it has been almost a year since I started this diet. And I have to say I feel better than I did before so I can't complain too much. Would be nice not to be constantly reminded though.

I just realized you asked me about cramping. I have cramps most days, especially when we leave the house. It is always stressful leaving the house with a three year old who thinks she can take off when she pleases. It seems to be worse with the fiber though.

Edited by torbetta (08/17/03 12:48 PM)

#17595 - 08/17/03 03:28 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

It took me a while to adjust too and I agree with some of the others that sometimes you have to try a few different ones (I found benefiber the best for me but everyone's different) also I agree you need to start at a low dose and work your way up.

I know what you mean about the stress of leaving the house with kids - isn't it heaven when you go alone! I know stress really makes things worse for me. Do you get any time to yourself to relax at all?

Humidity kills me too. Make sure you drink heaps of water - I find that helps.

Hope you're feeling OK,

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Mags new
      #17600 - 08/17/03 04:35 PM
*Melissa*

It could be just stress/anxiety if they mostly happen when you have something to do. I've not dealt with a 3 year old yet, but I can imagine! LOL

What happens if you only take 1 Citrucel? I'd try that and if that doesn't work, then try the Benefiber. But, this is only if you want to take the supplement. If you're feeling fine without it, then maybe you are getting enough soluble through diet alone.

Of course you could always try the hypno. That's what gave me my last shove over the edge to feeling better.

#17633 - 08/18/03 10:15 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Torbetta,
I'm sorry you've been feeling bad. I agree with Mags, try benefiber. It does take your body a while to adjust to the increase in fiber. I hope you feel better soon.
Cloudygirl

#17856 - 08/20/03 12:49 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi paintlady here and had to add my two cents.
I'm also IBS-D and the fiber supplement that's working for me is Equalatin and Calcium(Oyster shell) taking 1 equalatin tablet( chew it) then swallow calcium and drink tall glass of water during my breakfast and dinner. For lunch just have one equalatin with glass of water during meal.

Paintlady new
      #17865 - 08/20/03 01:54 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I guess I need to get my eyes checked. I thought you wrote that you take it with a tall glass of wine! Ha!Don't guess that would help your tummy, but it would surely relax you.

Re: Paintlady new
      #17875 - 08/20/03 04:03 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

BL,
Ha you crack me up!
Yes a glass a wine with soluble fiber don't think that would do the trick.
LOL just love this site and all my fellow IBS'ers.
thanks for the laugh Beaglelover.
Years ago we had a cute beagle and peekanese(can't spell)
mix that we just loved, she lived for 17 years.
we couldn't replace her.

Paintlady

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3557

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review