All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather: Is it really 2.5gms per level tsp in the acacia can?
      #173993 - 04/26/05 03:14 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Does the canned version have a higher concentration than the bagged? The bagged says that it's 4.5 gms per level Tbsp so that would be 1.5 gms per level tsp.

Thanks for clarification.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather: Is it really 2.5gms per level tsp in the acacia can? new
      #174008 - 04/26/05 04:12 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I noticed the same thing. I thought that one tablespoon was 4.5 grams. If the newsletter is right, I've been taking a lot more fiber than I thought!!!!!!
Meryl

Yes, it is , and the fiber in the bag is exactly the same as the can, but new
      #174046 - 04/26/05 05:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

here's the difference. There are 7.5 grams of fiber in one level tablespoon of Acacia, or 2.5 grams in one level teaspoon. The can label reflects these numbers.

The bag label reflects a SCANT tablespoon dose, not a LEVEL tablespoon, and one scant tablespoon has 4.5 grams. Is this confusing? Darn right it is! Which is why we are re-designing the Acacia bag label so that it will be exactly the same as the can label. The new bags will be out in a few weeks.

Sorry for the confusion.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather, good to know! By the way, the can design is really pretty. new
      #174114 - 04/26/05 07:36 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I'm taking the info about your new product line to the 2 Whole Foods near to my home. Hopefully they will start to carry it.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Thank you very much!!!! -nt- new
      #174134 - 04/26/05 08:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hehe new
      #174201 - 04/27/05 02:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've been on a higher dose of SFS than I thought - 15g a day! Guess I won't try and add in another dose then.

And that can is soooo pretty! I'm going to order one as soon as I've got some dosh.

I actually changed the maximum dose in response to feedback from people... new
      #174438 - 04/27/05 12:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

There is no set standard for fiber consumption in the US (like there is for certain vitamins, for example). There are recommended daily minimums, which vary, but there really isn't any set daily maximum. And most everyone in nutrition and medical fields agrees that the people in the West eat way too little fiber, whereas people in other countries have a lot of health benefits from fiber intakes that range from 60-80 grams a day (folks in the US only average 10 grams a day!)

I've found that for many folks who are prone to constipation, they need a higher dose of a soluble fiber supplement. So, the new Acacia can is labeled for a maximum dose of 30 grams per day, which is 4 level tablespoons. I've been really surprised by the number of C-folks who need to get up to that dose to stabilize. The D-folks tend to resolve at around 2 level tablespoons a day, or even less.

So, if you're at 15 grams a day and still need to increase, that's okay. There's a lot of room to play with your total daily fiber intake - it would be hard to get too much unless you deliberately tried to do so.

xxoo
Heather

--------------------

Sticky post on acacia says 4.5 grams per tablespoon, also new
      #181106 - 05/25/05 09:14 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The post at the top of the Diet Board about acacia dosages and switching to acacia from another fiber ( here) says there are 4.5 grams of soluble fiber in a measuring tablespoon. I was going to refer someone posting about changing fibers to it, but didn't want to do that if it would be confusing. Should this sticky post be updated to say "7.5 grams", too, or am I missing something here?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Ok, Ok, Ok,....Let me make sure I understad new
      #181113 - 05/25/05 10:20 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm using a measuring spoon - like I use in my recipes in the kitchen...2 1/2 level teaspoons (just can't seem to get to that full tablespoon!) so that is 6.25gm each time? Say it isn't so?! Wow! Good for me!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Ok, Ok, Ok,....Let me make sure I understad new
      #181119 - 05/25/05 10:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

That's the way I'm reading it. So, yeah, your SFS score just went up. Sort of like finding out the exam is going to be graded on the curve.

I'm doing 8 teaspoons of acacia a day, which I figure works out to 20 grams of SF just from SFS. Since I'm IBS-D, now I can worry about whether I'm getting too much fiber. Much easier to solve than worrying about too little.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2891 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1799

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review