All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dropping Diet Coke Suggestions
      #173467 - 04/25/05 11:46 AM
frustrated mom

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Oklahoma

My 15 year old daughter takes her lunch to school every day. What can we replace her Diet Coke with? She says it really gives her a lift when she needs one, which I remember needing one during my school days. Maybe something in a small container?

We are reading the boards furiously and making a lot of changes. Thanks for all your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dropping Diet Coke Suggestions new
      #173471 - 04/25/05 11:50 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hello there,

Cutting out Diet Coke is a really good idea. Not only does it contain caffiene (a known GI trigger for loads of people), but also contains artificial sweetner to replace the sugar and the carbonation can be hard on touchy tummies.

I used to drink flat gingerale, and had no problems. I also used to mix flat gingerale with craberry juice, as it is the only juice that doesn't cause problems for me.

If she is desperate for pop, always avoid Diet pop and caffiene loaded pop. Tell her to opt for something like Sprite or Gingerale instead, preferably flattened if she is sensitive to all the bubbles.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#173544 - 04/25/05 01:43 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I often wonder why we as a society have become so dependent on "chemical" food instead of natural food. Why is diet coke or some other pop so crucial in our diet? It doesn't matter whether you have IBS or not, no pop -- sugar or diet --is healthy. The ingredients are horrifying to say the least, especially the artificial sweetener used in diet pop.

I don't think there is a good, IBS-safe substitute for diet coke. I don't think replacing diet Coke with another pop, flat or not, is really a good idea. The best bet (although not the one your daughter will like) is room temperature bottled water or a hot thermos with some peppermint, fennel or chamomile tea.

The bottom line is having IBS forces many of us to give up "junk food" and eat more natural food. It's a difficult road to travel, but worth it if you feel better. It is particularly difficult for children and teens to eat a more natural diet because we learn from an early age to eat fatty, processed, chemical-filled food and there is a lot of support/reinforcement (peer pressure, advertising, etc.) for eating that kind of food as you grow up. On the other hand, if you eat natural, chemical-free food, you have a better chance at being healthy and maybe even not be overweight, and your IBS may be under better control.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's my two cents worth on this subject! I hope your daughter finds something that she can drink that won't make her feel too deprived.

Belinda

#173552 - 04/25/05 01:53 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've found Rooibos tea great as it has a bit of a pick-me-up effect w/out caffeine. Could your daughter make some or take a flask in?

And drinking LOTS of water is a good (and healthy) way to stay alert...alot better in the long run than pop.

There are 2 factors as I see it. new
      #173607 - 04/25/05 05:06 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

My 15 year old daughter takes her lunch to school every day. What can we replace her Diet Coke with? She says it really gives her a lift when she needs one, which I remember needing one during my school days. Maybe something in a small container?

We are reading the boards furiously and making a lot of changes. Thanks for all your help!

First is that she likes the "lift" caffeine gives her (who doesn't?) but it IS a trigger food because of the caffeine and HFCS and bubbles.
The other factor is the "cool" factor. What 15 year old isn't wagging around a can of diet Coke? Anything other than a DC may bring about some comments your daughter doesn't want.

This is tough...If she can drink bottled water that's good (and "cool").
If it's a little tiny bit of caffeine that will give her a boost the individual boxes of Rice Dream Chocolate drink will have enough caffeine in the chocolate to help.
Personally, most of the time I can do the Santa Cruz line of canned beverages, but not every day, AND at the end of a meal. (Do a Goggle search) They even give you a carbonation factor # for whatever that is worth...but it's always best to let them sit a while opened to reduce the bubbles.

The already brewed teas are always a good choice but she may have to get used to them at home first before she packs some with her "to-go".

Kandee

--------------------

Re: There are 2 factors as I see it. new
      #173615 - 04/25/05 06:27 PM
frustrated mom

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Oklahoma

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Dealing with the teen mind (even one that wants to feel better) is a challenge. Sometimes I plant seeds hoping they will pop up as a her own idea eventually. Psychology is a good skill to have as a parent. Hugs to all!

#173633 - 04/25/05 07:24 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

hmm how about gatorade, I drink the clear orange one sometimes but I mix it half and half with water. The electrolytes will give her a little boost.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2064 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 687

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review