All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Whey Protein Supplements
      #17225 - 08/13/03 07:27 PM
johns

Reged: 08/13/03

Im an 18 year old male who has had IBS as long as I can remember. Ive always been very into sports and have been weight training for 4 years. I am wondering if taking supplements can cause IBS attacks....I know creatine can and has for me so now im only taking Whey Protein....is this product safe to use for someone with IBS? thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whey Protein Supplements new
      #17227 - 08/13/03 08:36 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Whey is a component of dairy, and all dairy products (whey, casein, lactose, etc.) can cause problems for folks with IBS. Instead of whey protein powder, seek out a completely dairy-free soy-based protein powder. Or if you want to avoid soy, I believe there are also vegetable- or grain-based powders--ask at your local healthy food store. Also, be sure to eat enough soluble fiber--protein powder is pretty concentrated, and soluble fiber is much more gentle on your stomach.

#17232 - 08/13/03 11:19 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I personally do not have a problem with whey protein powders that I add to Rice Dream or an almond or oat beverage, but if YOU do, there is a couple brands of Rice protein powders out there (in your local health food store). The ONLY dairy I consume is plain, non-fat, organic yogurt and occasionally a smoothie with a whey protein powder from Trader Joe's. (Chocolate is my favorite.) You don't say where you live so don't know if there would be a Trader Joe's store in your area. If you are going to even try a whey protein powder check the other ingredients to see if they are IBS safe and low fat. Kandee

--------------------

#17240 - 08/14/03 04:50 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I find that Whey upsets my tummy. GNC has a soy-based protein drink that fairly tasty. Protein-95 or something like that.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review