All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re:confusion about Flora-Q new
      #171967 - 04/20/05 04:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Absolutely. There are a bunch of posts on the Board about people whose IBS was triggered by antibiotics - I think mine was, too, although I had earlier experiences that kind of set me up for it.

Let me know how your son does with the Flora-Q and I'll raise the whole live/unlive thing with my GI next week and post what he has to say.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh sorry guys! new
      #172046 - 04/20/05 11:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Only just saw this...and realised my post was confusing. Stevensa's right...for them to do any good, they have to be alive, whether they say refridgerate or not. I guess maybe how they coat them depends on how protected they are from the elements.

If you've got 88F weather and the pack says 77F, sticking them in the fridge could be a good idea. When I tried probiotics, I just kept them in a cool cupboard, but then it's not often that hot here!

Also, working from what best-before-dates are like on food, I'd guess they'd have to still be the stated amount in July 06 as long as they're kept in the prescribed conditions.

Thanks for the clarification, Linz. -nt- new
      #172101 - 04/21/05 07:11 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Another thought new
      #172113 - 04/21/05 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you put him on Heathers Acacia yet? It is more than just another SFS. It also has a PREbiotic in it which means that, overtime, it helps your body grow back the good bacteria which is what you are trying to do with the probiotics. You can use them together.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Another thought new
      #172268 - 04/21/05 01:37 PM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

Yes, I've started him on Acacia but only recently so we'll see how it goes.

Talked to my GI guy about Flora-Q new
      #173973 - 04/26/05 02:21 PM
Sand

The probiotics (bacteria, I assume) in the capsules are live. Apparently, the company that makes Flora-Q has developed a way to keep the little suckers alive in capsules for a reasonable period of time without refrigeration.

My GI guy says his practice (5, 6, 7, 23 doctors, who knows, there's another name on the door every time I see him) has used Flora-Q for a while and gotten good results. He doesn't think the probiotics will make a huge difference, but they might "give me a little edge". I'll take it.

And in an unrelated issue, I asked him about Naltrexone (sp?). He said everything he's heard about it is "sketchy", but there are supposedly a fair number of new drugs in the pipeline, mostly on the C side. Nothing definitely wonderful, of course. And some A drug that was in clinical trials just got the plug pulled because people were hallucinating on it. I have to admit that there have been days when if I had to choose between suffering IBS symptoms and hallucinating, I'd hallucinate, but I guess the FDA doesn't see it that way.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4863 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review