All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
General Question
      #171330 - 04/19/05 07:46 AM
Wen4

Reged: 04/19/05

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading Heather's newletter for months, as well as some of the posts on this board. I'm not sure which forum this question belongs on, but decided on this one.

When I was 22 ( I just turned 40) my doc diagnosed me with IBS. My symptoms were trouble passing a bm and bloating in sigmoid colon. The bloating resolved after a year or so, but the bathroom difficulty stayed a part of my life. I just accepted the fact that I needed half hour in the bathroom, suppositories and psyllium.

For the most part the IBS was managed. But now it has gotten increasingly difficult to go to the bathroom. Starting about nine months ago my bathroom time has stretched into 45mins to an hour two or three times a day (because it's not successful). The suppositories don't work well, although nothing starts happening with out them, ( it has been this way for over 10 years), and I switched from psyllium to Citricel. Miralax didn't help because my stool is already soft and unformed. My old GI doc thought it didn't sound like IBS (no pain, doesn't seem to matter what I eat). Had a barium enema and a marker study which were normal and a defogram (sp), which showed moderate prolapse. The prolapse, especially the enterocele, is certainly contributing to the problem, but I (and my new GI doc) do not think it is the only thing going on. I am really scared to have surgery to fix the prolapse because you can't strain or lift for a couple months after, and I'm afraid I won't be able to pass any stool. I would like to find out everything that is going on before I go to surgery for the prolapse.

My new doc thinks that some people can have IBS without pain and bloating, the only symptom being difficuly having a bm. I have searched and searched the internet about the problem I have but cannot find anything that sounds likely. I'm trying Zelnorm and it isn't making much difference (passing more stool, but still using suppositories and enemas), but it is giving me bad trapped gas. This is day 7 on this med, and I understand that it my take a month for the side effects to go away, but even if it works it doesn't sound like a fix.

Do any of you have any ideas for me? thank you so much!!

--Wen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: General Question new
      #171354 - 04/19/05 08:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It sounds like you have't had all the tests that are used for diagnosing IBS anyway...colonoscopy, Celiac blood test, ultrasound, etc.

It is possible to have IBS w/out pain and bloating (tho not usual), but even then you'd expect there to be C or D as well as the incomplete emptying. What you are describing sounds like something far more physical than IBS (which is a functional disorder).

Re: General Question new
      #171356 - 04/19/05 08:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome. You've got the right forum.

My understanding is that the Rome Criteria require pain, but I've also read that "some people" think the Rome Criteria are not the last word on this. Even if it's not IBS, I don't see any harm in giving Heather's diet a try. I know you said it doesn't matter what you eat, but I'm assuming you mean no particular food seems to trigger or worsen the constipation. Heather's diet is continuous consumption of high levels of soluble fiber, and that might ease the constipation. (I'm IBS-D, myself, so keep in mind I'm talking theory here, not practice. People who are IBS-C will be able to advise you more fully.)

As for the gas, a lot of people on the Board swear by fennel tea and I also know some people take Gas-X or it's generic equivalent, simethicone. You can find more information on both of these and on gas generally by doing searches. One on "gas" will probably turn up most of the info. (You can read this for how-to.)

One thought: I assume the suppositories you're referring to are laxatives. I've always read your body could become dependent on them. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but perhaps it means your body is requiring more and more of the laxative to continue to perform. I assume you've discussed this with your doctor, but if not, I think you should.

HTH. Good luck and again, welcome.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review