All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peanut Butter
      #170293 - 04/15/05 09:30 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

An Irritable Bowel Syndrome stimulant? I feel bloated when I eat this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's the fat content.... new
      #170307 - 04/16/05 02:49 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

PB is VERY high in fat which is a big trigger for IBS. I have to stick to a low fat diet as fat sends me off the wall with pain and D. Some of us can handle a little bit every now and then but some of can't handle even a little bit. Have a look through the recipie boards for other yummy safe alternatives.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Peanut Butter new
      #170318 - 04/16/05 06:56 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

If you can get the reduced fat kind -- and use less of it -- you may be okay. That's what I do. That puts the fat content back down to acceptable levels. However -- a thick layer of the regular kind adds a lot of fat.

Re: It's the fat content.... new
      #170342 - 04/16/05 11:55 AM
Volatile

Yeh I'm tryin to gain muscle, I need to have peanut butter. They tell me the fat in peanut butter, it is high, will be good for me. I can't eliminate peanut butter, I need an alternative that will provide similar protein and fat. I take two spoons.

#170411 - 04/16/05 07:55 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I replied to another one of your posts about this. Can you try the low-fat peanut butter? It should be less of a trigger, but it will still have the protein you need. Two spoonfuls on some safe white bread, if you can tolerate it, sounds good to me. That's usually what I take to work for lunch.

#170412 - 04/16/05 07:58 PM
Volatile

Before you did this would you feel bloated immediately when eating peanut butter, and has this gone away since then?

#170415 - 04/16/05 08:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It takes a while for your body to adjust to this diet, just like with any change. So I probably did experience some bloating, although I can't quite remember. I've been IBS-D for ten years, but for four of those years I was stable. Then I got sick last summer, which triggered the IBS attacks again. I went on Heather's Diet in December and this month is the first month I've felt really good--so it took four months of following the diet carefully and taking an SFS. Being stable didn't mean I could go back to eating "normal" food, it just meant I no longer had D, severe bloating, or pain. Also, once you're stable you can add more food to your diet--start with small amounts--like peanut butter and more IF vegetables. I think the key is starting out small and then increasing every week or so; I think this gets your digestive system used to it. So with peanut butter, I started out with a teaspoon for a week, then two teaspoons, up to the (around) two tablespoons I now have in sandwiches. Most of my problems came from eating too much at one time or too much high fat food, but if I make sure to eat small meals throughout the day I know I won't overeat or crave the fatty food as much.

#170445 - 04/16/05 08:39 PM
Volatile

Is having any food high in fat going to or likely to cause bloating? For somebody trying to add muscle they say you have to have some fat, such as peanut butter, fish oil, flax seed, can I eat these and if not how can I get the fat I need without the other things that go along with.

#170449 - 04/16/05 08:46 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

fat doesn't really build muscle -- protein does. Everyone needs healthy fats though -- and the reduced fat peanut butter -- small amounts of canola oil -- chopped up walnuts -- avocado... those are all great sources of the healthy fats that we all need.

#170450 - 04/16/05 08:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Then don't eat it. Please read this post. You need to do some reading and use the Search button before anxiously posting all your questions. It will help you a lot.

helful info for posters

Good luck, relax, read and learn. All the info you are asking is right at your finger tips if you take a little time to read and to use the search button.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 573 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2113

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review