All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dairy free is working!
      #17027 - 08/12/03 08:47 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I have been dairy free for two weeks and feel so much better. Last wednesday I dealt with D for the day and since than I've had two normal BM's. (Glad we can talk about this on the board ). My tummy has been flat - not normal for me.
Is it possible I'm allergic to dairy or do any of you think it is more of an intolrence?
Just very happy to post this.
Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dairy free is working! new
      #17034 - 08/12/03 09:29 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I would say more of an intolerance, because if it was an allergy, you'd probably have things like rash, hives, itchy throat, etc. But, that's just my opinion...I'm not a doctor!

Glad you're feeling better though. Congrats on the dairy free! I know it's tough.

Allergy vs. Intolerance new
      #17061 - 08/12/03 12:21 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I have read that an allergy is more of an immunological reaction to the food, whereas an intolerance is like a pharmacological response to certain components of the food. With an allergy, you get specific and fairly immediate reactions0--rash or immediate vomiting, for example. With an intolerance you might get migraines, IBS, or even behavior and mood problems. Intolerance doesn't usually occur as quickly--If you're allergic to a food, you get an almost immediate reaction; with an intolerance reactions may be delayed or build up over several days, making it hard to identify what the cause is. Allergic reactions can be to tiny amounts; intolerances can be related to the amount--you may not react to a little bit, but a lot will make you sick. Allergies will also show up on standard allergy testing, while intolerances may or may not.

I'm not a doctor either, just read this somewhere and thought it was an interesting comparison. It seems that, whichever it is, the treatment is the same--avoiding the thing that causes the reaction.

So great that you're feeling better without dairy! Congratulations!!!!

#17067 - 08/12/03 12:53 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Don't want to confuse anyone here, but I did test "allergic" to certain foods years ago and I never had a rash or hives when eating these foods. I did, though, have headaches after eating the things I was allergic to.

#17093 - 08/12/03 03:03 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I've tested allergic to some foods too without those symptoms. I think the idea is that with a true allergy, you usually have some immediate and apparent symptom or reaction and with intolerance it may a little harder (or take a little longer) to identify. Sensitivities and intolerances may show up on allergy tests too. This was all explained to me a few years ago by a homeopathic MD, and I may not be explaining it exactly right. Always best to ask a medical expert.

#17117 - 08/12/03 06:23 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks you all for your replies!! I had a highlight-jigsaw party at my house last night and I so wanted a chocolate chip cookie (which I baked ) with a large glass of milk. I was very good and ate the oatbran blueberry muffins instead with a glass of water.
Glad to know it isn't an allergy.

#17145 - 08/13/03 05:48 AM
dlt647

Reged: 06/10/03
Loc: West Chester, PA

I had the same thing. I tested positive for dairy allergy but never had a problem with rash, hives or breathing problems. I recently stopped eating dairy altogether and when I tried to have a little ice cream one day, I did get an upset stomach and heat flashes. Now it is no dairy at all and my IBS is almost 50% better. I have IBS-C and by stopping diary, I have had no problems in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review