All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Meals away from home
      #170250 - 04/15/05 02:42 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

For those of you who have 8-5 jobs what do you do for lunch? I think that is one of my biggest issues- finding something safe to eat on the run.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meals away from home new
      #170253 - 04/15/05 03:19 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

This is one of my favourite lunch recipes: web page You can find rice noodles in your supermarket or at an oriental food market. It's a staple food for me - totally safe and includes chicken and veggies on a safe bed of rice noodles. I personally prefer to take my own lunch - I can control better what I eat. I suggest surfing the recipe exchange for one bowl meals that you can reheat at lunchtime. That way, you won't be tempted into high fat trigger foods that are out there.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#170283 - 04/15/05 08:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Side note: Alicia, I totally have to try that soon! That sounds so good!

I'm with Alicia - if at all possible, take your lunch, and a decent amount of safe snack food. I'm not an 8-5'er, but I absolutely *cannot* eat restaurant food, so I take food with me wherever I go. One of my easiest safe options is deli turkey on a roll with mustard or bbq sauce. (That's also the safest option at a deli or Subway-type place.) That would suffice for me for lunch, but I'm a snacker, so I also carry along pretzels (another safe "side" option at a deli), Luna bars, and usually a banana.

The recipe index has quite a few one-dish type meals that have chicken (etc), veggies and rice or noodles all in one, and any of those would make a good lunch option. We had the Caribbean Chicken & Rice recently and that's definitely a winner - very tasty, even on the reheat.

#170286 - 04/15/05 08:18 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I asked a similar question when I first joined here. Maybe you'll find some ideas from the answers I got. Here's the link.

I usually take a peanut butter or almond butter sandwich, Tostitos chips, and an applesauce/peach cup. I also eat during my breaks so I don't go too long with an empty stomach or eat too much at lunch. My snacks are usually a Luna bar, banana, fruit roll-up, and some sort of dry cereal (Crispix or Cheerios).

mostly I pack lunch... new
      #170310 - 04/16/05 04:36 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I keep a stash of luna bars in my desk and bring things for lunch... either leftovers or something I cooked on my day off for lunches during the week... or hummus and pita, or a sandwich, or a safe canned or boxed meal (tasty bite makes some indian foods among other things). I also tend to pre-make things and freeze them on occasion as well.

I often am gone from 6/7 AM until after 6 PM for various reasons, so I try to have some variety in snacks, not just luna bars.. I also have some safe turkey jerky I keep in the car, and keep a variety of snacks in my desk drawer.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#170314 - 04/16/05 05:52 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

This week, I brought leftover turkey burgers 3 out of 5 days for lunch. I've also had good luck with the Weight Watchers Smart Ones turkey medallions with green beans. Chicken noodle soup is also a staple. For snacks, I bring baby carrots, bananas, apple sauce, or papaya.

#170328 - 04/16/05 08:48 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I don't have a job per se....I'm a college student and I work part time for the university, so I'm on campus from at least 9-5 during the week. I pack food and carry a big water bottle. Usually I take: an applesauce cup (and a spoon), peanut butter and seedless strawberry jelly sandwich (or leftovers from dinner the night before are yummy too), pretzels, and some stuff I've baked, like vegan blueberry muffins (on the recipe exchange), or chocolate applesauce cake (in Heather's EFI) or something like that. If I have to find something else to eat, pretzels from the vending machines, plain bagels from Dunkin Donuts or the school cafe, or soft pretzels from the lunch trucks is what I find is safest (I live in Philly, so I know that Philly soft pretzels are boiled, not fried.)

But honestly, packing your own food takes so much stress off of wondering what you're eating is safe, and it's more cost effective as well!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#170362 - 04/16/05 01:36 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I thought chicken noodle soup had too much fat and sodium, and peanut butter had too much fat. This is what confuses me with the diet.

#170410 - 04/16/05 07:52 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You can get low-fat peanut butter, but it's mostly just a matter of whether or not you can tolerate it. So, you'll find out through trial and error. I can tolerate about a tablespoon of regular peanut butter (creamy not chunky) with bread.

Some chicken noodle soup is okay. You'll have to read the ingredients and nutritional information to make sure it's safe for you to eat. I wouldn't eat chicken noodle soup at a restaurant, because sometimes it contains milk or egg noodles, but I would buy a can of soup where I could see a list of ingredients.

#170413 - 04/16/05 08:00 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

What ingredients should I look for?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 755

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review