All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Erythritol
      #170213 - 04/15/05 01:05 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

This is a new sugar substitute on the market. Anyone tried it yet to see if it causes problems for IBSers?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sugar substitutes are an IBS trigger, period! new
      #170234 - 04/15/05 01:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'd be especially wary of any ending in -ol, as they're usually sugar alcohols, and they seem to be especially problematic for a lot of people WITHOUT IBS, even more so for those of us with it!

The only safe sugar sub is stevia, available at your health food store.

Thanks re: erythritol. Such a bummer that they can't make a sugar sub other than stevia for baking that is IBS safe new
      #170986 - 04/18/05 04:32 PM
lithelady

I was thinking the same thing re: sugar alcohols, but it's helpful to have another's opinion. I do use stevia for drinks but I haven't liked its taste in baked goods. Do you have any stevia recipe book that uses it in baked goods that you would recommend?

Also, I like your new haircut. Didn't you have longer hair before, like down to your shoulders? I'm asking b/c I have shoulder length hair and am thinking about going shorter but feel very uncertain, since my current length is the shortest I've ever been in my life. I know this board is about IBS but txs for your thoughts on hair as well as sugars!

--------------------

LOL!! It's ok, we're allowed to get off topic now and then! new
      #171026 - 04/18/05 06:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thanks! My hair's been every length from down to my waist to less than an inch all over my head. My best advice is to consider how you feel you look with your hair pulled back. If you never wear your hair back, pull it back into a *loose* ponytail and really think about it... because that's about how "exposed" your face is going to be with short hair. Before I chopped my hair off the first time, I had basically been wearing it back all the time anyway, so it really wasn't much of a difference for me. No scissor shock!

I'm kind of growing it out again right now out of necessity - the one "downside" to it is that you do have to get haircuts more often, and I just don't have the money to do it. (My hair grows fast!) I love short hair, though. Not only is it super-comfortable for summer, but it's wash-and-wear - no fuss - and it's almost impossible to have a bad hair day.

Back on topic... sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the sugar subs. I've never tried baking with stevia, so I don't know about the taste... I know that it took me a LOT of getting-used-to, even just in drinks.

If I come across any recipes that might work, I'll definitely post here! Was there something in particular that you were looking for?

Re: Erythritol new
      #171037 - 04/18/05 06:51 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I am a little confused now. My stevia, which I have used for over a year now, contains erythritol as well as the stevia rebaudiana bertoni leaves...........and I have never had a problem with it and I am IBS-D and every other artificial sweetner bothers me big time. The package says erythritol is a natural filler from fruits, vegetables, and grains. So it may be worth a try, if you are brave, but I doubt it would bake any better than stevia. I'd think it is okay, if it is natural, but if they have synthesized it somehow, then I would not try it. Natural things tend to be okay, it is when they artificially synthesize or concentrate things that it usually becomes a problem.

good luck.

and haircuts are totally in our control, unlike our other fav topic...... new
      #171135 - 04/18/05 08:41 PM
lithelady

Txs for great haircut advice. I'm certainly wearing mine back alot these days so sounds like it'll be an easy transition, esp since I'm totally not interested in styling it at all anymore, just too much time when I could be sleeping, an acitivity that's much better for both my mood and my gut.

As for stevia recipes, I'd love to find one for brownies and one for a strawberry rhubarb crisp or pie. Txs for keeping an eye out for these. There are some stevia cookbooks on the market but the reviews on Amazon are mixed in regards to how well the recipes work and more importantly, taste, no small detail when it comes to desserts!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review