All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help - have D now not C
      #169219 - 04/12/05 09:21 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

I had surgery 3 weeks ago - had to take Keflex (antibiotic) - didn't start getting D till two days before the meds were finished. Haven't taken glycolax since the operation. ? is...I have had D - which is getting worse (tmi - going yesterday 10/15 times - watery)...will this go away when the good bacteria grows? should I take some probiatics? (had taken some before the operation - hurt my stomach tho)..go back to the can't eat anything diet? or just take 1/2 immodium?
Thanks for you help guys:-)

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help - have D now not C new
      #169290 - 04/12/05 01:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yeah, it sounds like the antibiotics messed you up. You can try going back to the can't eat anything diet... you won't have to start all over again with adding insolubles back in, but it might be easier on your insides for a few days. I would definitely break out the imodium, and I'd try the probiotic again to hurry along the good bacteria. Good luck - and hope you feel better quickly!

Re: Help - have D now not C new
      #169321 - 04/12/05 02:23 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

hi there, i had a terrible time with that particular anitbiotic when i had an ear infection. it caused severe mucousy d and cramping and ended up getting clostridium difficile. c diff is when the good bacteria in your intestines is killed off (by the antibiotic) leaving the bad to overgrow, producing toxins which were causing the d and cramping. this result is not that common so for now i would take good probiotics and hope that it will go away on its own.

Be careful with the imodium new
      #169374 - 04/12/05 05:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

For some reason, there is a warning on there about taking it if you have D from antibiotic. I was on an antibiotic recently that recommended pepto or kaopectate if you have D.

I don't know why it would make a difference, since they're both stopping the D, but just figured I'd let you know.

Re: Be careful with the imodium new
      #169434 - 04/13/05 04:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know you shouldn't take Immodium if you're having D from stomach flu or food poisoning as it actually slows the GI tract down and if your bod's trying to get rid of nasty stuff it won't be happy! Maybe that's why...

But, yes, get some probiotics (make sure they're dairy free of course), eat safe foods and maybe take something for the D. Don't forget to get lots of rehydration stuff...pedialyte or a home-made alternative to stop you getting dehydrated.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review