All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Allergic to wheat?
      #16881 - 08/10/03 01:16 PM
Beck

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Lancashire, England

Every time I have had bread/pasta recently I have had terrible bloat/pain/c I would be really gutted if I was intolerant to this as pasta and fresh white bread and bagels are a real staple. Has anyone else found this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allergic to wheat? new
      #16919 - 08/10/03 10:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - have you been tested for celiac? It's an autoimmune disease that results in gluten intolerance, and if you're having problems with pasta or white breads that's a red flag. It's also possible that you have a wheat allergy.

Your doc should be able to test you for both celiac and a wheat allergy. See if you can have these tests asap (if you haven't already) as you need to have been eating wheat/gluten before the test or you could have a false negative.

If you can't tolerate just wheat, you can still have rice, oats, barley, polenta, quinao, buckwheat. If you can't tolerate gluten you have to be stricter than that, as grains other than wheat have gluten in them as well.

Let us know what you find out. We've got gluten intolerant and wheat allergy folks on board, with IBS as well, so you'll get lots of great info for working around both (including safe bread and pasta recipes and ideas).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16929 - 08/11/03 05:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Beck,

If you have any questions about celiac/wheat allergies, etc., let me know! I'm working on the road to figuring all of this out myself.

All the best!!!

-<3-

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#16982 - 08/11/03 02:01 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi, Beck--I'm gluten intolerant as well and have been working through it for awhile. Happy to offer suggestions for gluten/wheat-free products.

Definitely get the celiac test as celiac can really be serious. But even if you do not have celiac, you may still be wheat or gluten intolerant. It's a surprisingly common problem.

Biggest thing I'm learning is all the hidden wheat and gluten in foods--stuff you'd never imagine!

Good luck!
Judithg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review