Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Miracle of Psyllium -- QUESTION
      #16871 - 08/10/03 08:59 AM
B. Jay G.

Reged: 08/10/03
Loc: Florida

Hello, all!

Aside from everything else I've learned from Heather's books, learning about the miracle of psyllium was well worth the price of both volumes! I've been using Natural Brand Colon Pure from GNC for two months. The use of psyllium has had a dramatic impact upon my digestion specifically and my peace of mind in general.

Having said that, I have a question. I notice on the label it states, "If you are taking a prescription medication by mouth, take this product at least two hours before or two hours after the prescribed medicine." Based on that, one can only presume that the psyllium interfers with the digestive tract's absorbtion process--the psyllium absorbing the medicine before the body can.

Now the question: Would it stand to reason that the psyllium, when taken within two hours of a meal, would also absord the nutrients from the food?

If anyone has the answer, it certain would be appreciated.

Jay

Edited by B. Jay G. (08/10/03 09:07 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Miracle of Psyllium -- QUESTION new
      #16894 - 08/10/03 04:18 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I have on doctor's advice have been take Psyllium and I don't think it will effect other nutrients. At least not with me.

Yes you should not take with medication as it states as the medication will lose it's effectiveness. Exception may be medication that you are supposed to take with food mainly to lessen irritating stomach.

Note this opinion is bassed on experience and not medical knowledge or training.

#16918 - 08/10/03 10:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Think of psyllium as food, like oatmeal or rice. If you're on a medication that has to be taken on an empty stomach, you don't want to take it with psyllium. But for meds that can (or should be) taken with foods, they can also be taken with psyllium.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17002 - 08/11/03 04:52 PM
B. Jay G.

Reged: 08/10/03
Loc: Florida

Thanks Heather and Art!

While talking with a friend, he asked if I had asked the folks at GNC--duh! I called the number on the label and posed my question. They suggested one hour before or after meals, for what it's worth.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review