All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question on dairy products.
      #168382 - 04/08/05 04:01 PM
christy199

Reged: 04/05/05

For some reason as of late seems that my body is unable to cope with eating ice cream, milk or creams. I have had IBS since 18 and have been able to do well with dairy up until a few months ago when I turned 30. It seems like 20 minutes after I have dairy products my stomach starts to gurrgle and then it's 3-4 days of rushing to the bathroom. I really hate it! I know that when I eat any of those things, I will have to stay home for a few days after. Does anyone have any idea why dairy triggers IBS? Flan is one of my favorite deserts and a tradition in my fam.. and I can't even eat it anymore. = ( it really sucks. Is there something that can be taken prior to eating dairy? please let me know.

thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question on dairy products. new
      #168391 - 04/08/05 04:29 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Milk contains lactose, casein and whey. They are all major GI triggers, that's why they're intolerable. It's not worth it! Have you tried soy milk? You can substitute it for regular milk even in recipes. Silk brand chocolate soy milk is better than real milk! There are also a wide variety of soy ice creams that are a very convincing substitute. Stay away from dairy and try some substitutions!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I agree....and to add my 2 cents as a previously-thought Lac.Int. person with newfound IBS new
      #168408 - 04/08/05 05:50 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I LOVE the So Good brand vanilla soy milk. It's as good for you as 1% and it tastes like heaven. Soy ice cream is great too, and even soy yogurt isn't that bad. I have yogurt anyhow with no problems, never have had an issue with it.....???

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#168420 - 04/08/05 07:33 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I am very lactose intolerant, but I am okay with using Lactaid. If you are really into dairy, you might want to try taking lactase enzymes (ex. Lactaid) with any dairy foods. This is only applicable if you are lactose intolerant only. If you have allergies or sensitivities you will still have problems. Regardless, giving up dairy is the best option.

flan with soy milk... new
      #168452 - 04/09/05 03:36 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

works.. flan with rice milk tastes even better... if you use vanilla flavored milk through cut the sugar a tad since its sweetened....

otherwise- *HUG* sorry to say we're all int hat boat, though unfortunately I have actually discovered a dairy allergy in my 30's I didn't realize I had... to cassein and whey!

as to ice cream- heathers chocolate silk pudding freezes amazingly well into ice cream.. and I love it with rice milk!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#169335 - 04/12/05 03:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As someone else posted, you can try talking lactaid and this will help if your sensitivity is to the lactose. If you're reacting to the high fat content of a lot of milk and cream products, you can try eating less dairy after eating more SF first. If you're sensitive to the proteins in milk none of this will help. Also, if you're new to Heather's diet and trying to stabilize on it, I'd suggest going off dairy completely until you're stable. Once that happens you can always try adding a little back in with lactaid or after a lot of SF.

Soy and rice based substitutes for dairy products really are worth trying. I hated the idea at first and now do quite well with them.

Khyricat mentions freezing Heather's Chocolate Silk Pudding and I can tell you that while I've never frozen it, it's fabulous as a pudding, too.

There are also soy-based and rice-based ice creams out there. If you search on "ice cream" you'll find posts on them. Of the ones I've tried, I like Soy Dream Mocha Fudge best. Soy Delicious Cookie Avalanche is yummy, too. I haven't tried any of the rice-based ones yet - they're harder to find - but somebody on the Board posted that they like Rice Dream Carob Almond Chip.

These faux ice creams are all high in fat, so you still have to approach them carefully since fat is a trigger. One scoop after a high SF meal is the usual recommendation. I'll admit to eating more than one scoop at a time - - but I always do it after a meal.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review