All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How to gain weight
      #166430 - 04/02/05 02:38 PM
tagrich

Reged: 04/02/05

Hi Heather and everyone,

I've been following a fairly IBS-friendly diet for the past few months, but the trouble is I'm tending to lose too much weight and am not sure how to gain some of it back.

My main foodstuffs are: chicken, turnkey, fish (cod, salmon, plaice, haddock, tuna etc.), pasta, potatoes (sautéd, jacket, boiled etc.), carrots, rice milk, rice crispies, bread/toast, herbal tea, crisps (chips in the US), honey on the toast, ginger biscuits, oven fries, stewed apple (every dinner), banana (every lunchtime), my one evil snack is a jam doughnut with my cup of tea.

I've generally been feeling a lot better, but it bothers me and my wife that I've been losing weight and am really struggling to put it back on. I do pressups twice a day to at least help with muscle tone, but it doesn't really help with weight gain. Any help would very much appreciated. Basically, what can I add to my diet which won't start IBS flare ups again. Incidentally, I'm also taking Mebeverine which helps with the IBS a bit.

Before eating for IBS I ate beef burgers, lots of green veg, fruit pies, meat pies, sweets (candies), maccaroni cheese, and goodness knows what else. Now I've pretty much developed a food fear with these types of foodstuffs.

As I said, any ideas would be great,

Tobe

P.S. I've had medical checks including blood and stool samples and I'm fine apart from the two doctors I've seen confirming that I almost certainly have IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to gain weight new
      #166439 - 04/02/05 03:34 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I'm new here, but I've been dealing with the same issue also. I don't necessarly need to gain weight, but I know I need more calories than I have been getting to function properly. The people at the Fitness & Lifestyle Board here have really been kind in helping me with that.

I don't have much advice really, other than from what I gather, many "sweets" are perfectly safe. The things that seem like pure sugar (because they are!) are generally the safest. Jelly beans, twizzlers (licorice), gum drops, marshmallows, those types of things. Granted, not the healthiest, but if you already eat a healthy diet, you can add in a handful of any of those for some safe calories. Also more bread and potato type foods are generally calorie dense.

Good luck, I certainly understand. I'm also struggling with eating enough volumne of food. Too much, and it doesn't matter how safe it was, I have a problem. I'm working on eating more frequently. Hopefully you don't have that problem, but if you do eating more frequently is a good idea. (Although I struggle to follow my own advice on that one! ).

Be well.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

high calorie foods can be safe... new
      #166449 - 04/02/05 04:53 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

mind you I make most of my own... Antidepressant brownies (ADB's) and banana bread- plain and chocolate and heathers peppermint fudge cake among other sweet treats...

I am a distance biker and lost weight unintentionally at one point this year, so have been working hard at eating enough top maintain without eating enough at one sitting or anything bad enough to set off my tummy! But I have been succesfull and have gained back the 8 pounds I was upset about losing when I first started training for this years races!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: How to gain weight new
      #166531 - 04/03/05 07:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can try some of the breads from Heather's Eating for IBS book. I love the Pumpkin Apple Spice bread and like the Cinnamon Zucchini Bread sometimes, also. They're a little higher in fat than most of what we eat on the IBS diet, but I've found them safe. Plus, they're delicious and they get some fruits/veggies into me. Also, they freeze well - I freeze half-loaves and pull them out when I want them. I also make the Simple Sweet Cornbread very often - I don't think it's as calorie-rich as the others. And I like the Gingerbread, too. I haven't tried freezing either of the last two.

There are also the desserts in the Eating for IBS book. The one I really like is the chocolate silk pudding - it's fabulous. I don't think I can make the fruits and vegetables argument for that one, though - it's pure indulgence.

I haven't really gotten into them, yet, but there are bread and dessert recipes on the Recipe Board. You could see if any of them appeal to you. You mention eating fruit pies before starting Heather's diet, so you might check out the Norwegian Apple Pan Pie recipe I posted. (Shameless plug )

Last, but not least, you could look for dinner recipes on the Recipe Board that seem to be higher in calories. There are some stroganoff and paprikash recipes that call for soy sour cream. If you're sensitive to fat, these might be a problem, but I tolerate them well - I eat lots of noodles or rice as a base. Or, one of the spaghetti recipes might add a few more calories.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2015 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review