All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I would not be on this board today if it weren't for doing exactly what your "experts" advised! new
      #165941 - 03/31/05 05:04 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

ArtKen, That is exactly what I did..took Cipro without a probiotic to counteract what would happen to my gut. I started probiotics afterwords and by that time it was to late...the damage had been done.

I've been on probiotics religiously for over 2 1/2 years and last winter, when I couldn't shake a respiratory infection I took Zithromax...........WITH, I might add, a healthy dose of probiotics the entire time. The Zithro worked and kicked the infection........and not once did I have any gastro complaints.

So to this I say hogwash....if it came down to NOT taking an antibiotic at all because the probiotic would negate all the "killing" affects of the antibiotic I'd say to H* with the antibiotic and drink tons of pau d' arco tea, and tank up on a few other supplements that are known to kill infections. It just may take a little longer. Remember always, "The body wants to HEAL itself".

Until these docs have walked in someone's shoes who has been there, I'll trust what my gut tells me, not them.

Sorry, but this irks me to no end... I'm not a red-headed-Irish-woman for nothing. Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I would not be on this board today if it weren't for doing exactly what your "experts" advised! new
      #165951 - 03/31/05 05:52 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Well stated. He did state that various medical experts disagree. I have been off and on cipro for some time for another condition and same with probiotics and frankly I am at the point where trying to get off both.

But are you saying you are taking probiotics now only on a regular basis, or only if you are ill?

In both cases I'm advised to take larger doses than I do but my gut doesn't seem to want to handle It's unfortunately where we have supposedly progressed in medication so much that we can't handle the old shot of pennicillin that we used to be able to take.

Re: I would not be on this board today if it weren't for doing exactly what your "experts" advised! new
      #166002 - 03/31/05 08:55 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Well stated. He did state that various medical experts disagree. Well, Heather is not a degreed doctor, but I consider her more of an "EXPERT" on IBS than anyone I've seen or met or read about. It takes someone who has suffered from an ailment who went the extra mile to find answers then share them with others that I personally consider experts! For every remedy for an ailment there is a counter remedy. Where one might be the solution for one person it's not necessarily for the next. A good example is the variances you see right on this board. I have been off and on cipro for some time for another condition and same with probiotics and frankly I am at the point where trying to get off both.

Wait a minute. We are comparing apples and oranges here. They are two VERY different substances. I consider the entire class of antibiotics that cipro fall under to be almost lethal. There was a very good post a long time ago right on this site all about the hundreds of class action suits against the classification that cipro falls under and the devastating, life debilitating conditions it has caused many people. I wish I would have saved the post. But if you're interested do a google search. I will never, ever as long as I live take any antibiotic in that class again. On the other hand a probiotic is something that used to be in our food of days gone by naturally. You're probably old enough to remember REAL buttermilk, real sour cream and other foods that were made by natural fermentation. Those foods had natural probiotics that unfortunately we have to take in pill or liquid form today. Even the milk of today, once it has been pasteurized and homogenized to death, to the point of not having anything beneficial in it, would kill a calf. It's been proven.

But are you saying you are taking probiotics now only on a regular basis, or only if you are ill?
As regular as I eat! And will for the rest of my life if I can!

In both cases I'm advised to take larger doses than I do but my gut doesn't seem to want to handle Ahh yes, I believe this. If you take to high a dose of a probiotic right away it may not make you feel to great, but you can, easy enough, work up to higher amount. Try a low dose and up it slowly. That or a different brand or form. Personally I take mine with food but some labels say take on an empty stomach. I'm not sure what the correct way really is. You may try both. I've recently began making my own kefir, dairy free, with rice or nut milk and it sets very well on my tummy.. with or without food. I'm also as sold on digestive enzymes, especially for we vintage folks as the pancreas doesn't produce the enzymes as easily or as fast as it did when we were younger.

It's unfortunately where we have supposedly progressed in medication so much that we can't handle the old shot of pennicillin that we used to be able to take. Very true! That plus there are so many stains of bugs that we need a million different types of antibiotics to attack each kind. Kandee

--------------------

#166235 - 04/01/05 02:34 PM
ArtKen

Thanks for reply. As stated I am trying to normalize if possible. I agree that Heather is an expert in her field and I have both her books but my problem is more with diverticulous than IBS I believe.

If you look at the AllExperts site under Health & Fitness you will see IBS listed there. The expert there is one that you know well.

#166245 - 04/01/05 03:05 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ken, we are starting to organize a Canadian fall sprawl for the weekend of September 23rd. If you're interested, check out the let's get together board.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

tummy uproar=understatement! new
      #166250 - 04/01/05 03:21 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

at least the last few times I was on an antibiotic are the worst peirods for me and really the only times post finding this site and diet that my IBS has truly flared out of control!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#166274 - 04/01/05 04:26 PM
ArtKen

Okay, will do, thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review