All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I need help from the GF folks!
      #165463 - 03/30/05 03:38 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

I just received the newsletter today and as you know it's got an article about CD & IBS and how to modify the diet for people who are GF.

I've gotten much WORSE since starting the IBS diet and I suspect it's due to the high amounts of wheat/gluten products I've been eating - for the first time in a long time. I have been tested for CD and also had the blood test for gliadin and gluten antibodies and all of it was negative.

However, I'm willing to try anything at this point and my symptoms are definitely getting worse, not better. I have a few questions for all of you GF folks out there before I get started:

1. How long will it take on a GF diet for me to know whether it's working or not? A day, a week, a month?

2. To clarify: the SF/GF grains/flours are: quinoa, white rice, tapioca, potato starch? Millet, amaranth and buckwheat are also safe but higher in IF? What about sorghum and teff?

3. What does a "normal" day in your diet look like? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks...

4. What do you do while traveling, eating out, in a rush...?

Thanks so much for all of your input.

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Just a quick fyi... new
      #165466 - 03/30/05 03:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...as I'm no GF expert, but the tests you've had were looking for celiac disease and this is a separate thing to a simple (!) gluten intolerance. So you could certainly still be gluten intolerant even if you don't have celiac (as the tests suggest).

Re: I need help from the GF folks! new
      #165498 - 03/30/05 06:01 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Well gluten intolerance has certainly had its run in the limelight lately! Its comforting to know I'm not alone, but alarming to be finding so many people who think that may be intolerant. I read that when your immune system is low then food intolerances are common, the 2 main ones being gluten and dairy. So there you go

Okay some GF help. It depends what your symptoms are as to how long it will take to find some relief. I know when I went GF, DF and sugar free last year I noticed changes with my BMs within 1 week, changes with my energy levels and mood within 2 weeks, and changes with my bloating within a month. The problem is I started eating gluten and sugar again, and haven't been able to get back to that wonderful stage I was at last year, despite all my efforts. So my advice is, if going GF works, keep it up!!

Now GF grains/ flours: I stick to millet, buckwheat, rice, corn, potato, tapioca and chickpea. Yes millet and buckwheat are higher in IF but I don't think I have any problems with them.

What does a normal day look like: well rice toast with jam or vege spread (yeast free vegemite) for brekkie, rice and veges for lunch, chicken and veges for dinner. Snacks are usually rice crackers or fruit.

Travelling and eating out are when things get hard. Gluten is hidden in a plethora of everyday foods. If going out locally for lunch I usually take a GF bread roll with me. Dinners I'd order grilled chicken or fish and hold the sauce. Always carry rice crackers, fruit or GF fruit bars with you (do you get Orgran foods in the US? They make a fruit filled bar that has an outer layer made from chickpea flour, DELICIOUS!)

Going GF is tough, but give it a try for a month and see how you go. I'd say almost all your gluten symptoms should have cleared up by then so you should know whether its causing you strife.

Good luck!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Just a quick fyi... new
      #165898 - 03/31/05 04:18 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:

...as I'm no GF expert, but the tests you've had were looking for celiac disease and this is a separate thing to a simple (!) gluten intolerance. So you could certainly still be gluten intolerant even if you don't have celiac (as the tests suggest).

Exactly, and as some may find out you may still be gluten intolerant and the blood tests come back negative. Supposedly there is a stool test, but it doesn't appear to be done by any lab except one (that I am aware of).

#165940 - 03/31/05 05:02 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I tested positive for gluten intolerance/celiac disease 3 yrs ago.

I live on oatmeal with ground flax meal at breakfast with a banana or apple sauce, lunch is usually chicken or fish, vegetable soup-homemade, and rice cakes, dinner is fish, sweet potato and vegies-like spinach, carrots etc. I buy gluten free cookies and freeze them for when I need a treat. I take probiotics for the IBS and celiac. I also found some great gluten free, dairy free snacks at the health food store. I snack on fruit or dried papaya.

I have learned how to navigate - travel is a little tough - but there are products out there if you look. I always order chicken and fish grilled or broiled without sauce or on the side. Salad with no croutons or cheese, dressings on the side.

emil me if you need more help.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Chris new
      #165943 - 03/31/05 05:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Welcome to our club

I have a whole post going on this board "Feeling alone" or something like that. I think I told my story and confusion about gluten (if not...tell me...and I'll post it for you.)

It is NOT simple. the tests are very new and quite inaccurate.

The GOOD news is...if you find you ARE Gf...we are here to help you AND there is yummy food and lots of info. out there.

celiac.com
gluten.net
celiachiks.com
scaceliacs.com
do a google search for gluten freedom

Check out Danna Korn's book Wheat Free, Worry Free (explains a LOT of things about going GF...)

Hope this is a start...let us know how we can help you further...

I eat a TON of fruits and veggies, rice cakes, corn thins, guacamole here and there (make sure the mayo is gf), rice, and stuff. There is brown rice pasta you can buy at the HFS...

If I think of other things I'll let you know.

Keep well!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#165945 - 03/31/05 05:20 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I tested positive for gluten intolerance/celiac disease 3 yrs ago.

I live on oatmeal with ground flax meal at breakfast with a banana or apple sauce, lunch is usually chicken or fish, vegetable soup-homemade, and rice cakes, dinner is fish, sweet potato and vegies-like spinach, carrots etc. I buy gluten free cookies and freeze them for when I need a treat. I take probiotics for the IBS and celiac. I also found some great gluten free, dairy free snacks at the health food store. I snack on fruit or dried papaya.

I have learned how to navigate - travel is a little tough - but there are products out there if you look. I always order chicken and fish grilled or broiled without sauce or on the side. Salad with no croutons or cheese, dressings on the side.

emil me if you need more help.

Mary

Hi Mary, NICE REPLY....You just may become one of our resident experts on GF eating with IBS.
It really isn't that hard, is it? Once you get the hang of it, and THINK before you eat, it is quite simple, not to mention healthy.

Attitude is 90% of all this.
With that nothing seems hard!
Kandee

--------------------

#165948 - 03/31/05 05:32 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Well gluten intolerance has certainly had its run in the limelight lately! Its comforting to know I'm not alone, but alarming to be finding so many people who think that may be intolerant. I read that when your immune system is low then food intolerances are common, the 2 main ones being gluten and dairy. So there you go Oh Chrissy, You are so right about when the immune system is weak it sets you up for intolerances!! The top 3 food allergens are wheat, dairy and soy. I avoid, if possible, all three.

Okay some GF help. It depends what your symptoms are as to how long it will take to find some relief. I know when I went GF, DF and sugar free last year I noticed changes with my BMs within 1 week, changes with my energy levels and mood within 2 weeks, and changes with my bloating within a month. The problem is I started eating gluten and sugar again, and haven't been able to get back to that wonderful stage I was at last year, despite all my efforts. So my advice is, if going GF works, keep it up!!

Yes, with different people it takes different amounts of time. Seem like the younger you are the faster you will feel better going GF.

Now GF grains/ flours: I stick to millet, buckwheat, rice, corn, potato, tapioca and chickpea. Yes millet and buckwheat are higher in IF but I don't think I have any problems with them.

Also Amaranth, Teff, and sorghum...all of which are safe if you mix in more rice/potato/or tapioca flour with them. I love to use sorghum as a sub for brown rice flour.
And another thing..remember these alt flours are NOT enriched so take some good GF vitamins!

What does a normal day look like: well rice toast with jam or vege spread (yeast free vegemite) for brekkie, rice and veges for lunch, chicken and veges for dinner. Snacks are usually rice crackers or fruit.

Travelling and eating out are when things get hard. Gluten is hidden in a plethora of everyday foods. If going out locally for lunch I usually take a GF bread roll with me. Dinners I'd order grilled chicken or fish and hold the sauce. Also have them hold any dry seasonings..and if they have to, season with salt and pepper only..I learned this when I ate at Red Lobster and had them check on the seasoning mix they sprinkle on the broiled fish. Always carry rice crackers, fruit or GF fruit bars with you (do you get Orgran foods in the US? They make a fruit filled bar that has an outer layer made from chickpea flour, DELICIOUS!)
Oh my yes, having something with you at all times when you travel or are out and about is a must!

Going GF is tough, but give it a try for a month and see how you go. I'd say almost all your gluten symptoms should have cleared up by then so you should know whether its causing you strife.

Good luck!

--------------------

What's wrong with seasonings? new
      #165973 - 03/31/05 06:39 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I use dry seasonings when cooking all the time. I thought they were GF! Aren't they?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: What's wrong with seasonings? new
      #165975 - 03/31/05 06:46 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Some seasonings can contain flour or gluten derivatives. I guess its just better to be safe then sorry when eating at resturants.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review