All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Splenda?
      #16505 - 08/06/03 05:08 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I was wonderfing if I can use Splenda in my baking as a sugar sub. I'm trying to cut back my sugar intake. It is made of maltodextrin and sucralose. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Splenda? new
      #16511 - 08/06/03 05:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Nope - it's an artificial sweetener and can cause all sorts of GI upsets. Sorry...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16568 - 08/07/03 09:36 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I was just wondering if you were trying to cut back on sugar due to diabetes. My husband was recently diagnosed, and we just finished some educational classes. The dietician told us not to bother using artificial sweeteners or buy sugar free products. They usually have to same amount of carbs which is what affects your glucose readings. She told us just to eat a healthy low-fat, low-salt diet and watch portion sizes.

#16584 - 08/07/03 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

This is good info. I've read a little on this, and my editor has type 1 diabetes and is extremely health-conscious, so I learned a lot from him on the dietary front as well. One interesting thing is the studies showing how much better diabetics do without red meat and dairy - and even as complete vegans. There's great research here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16596 - 08/07/03 12:12 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Thanks for the infor. that's interesting what the dietician had to say. I'd be interested to know more about what his diet is etc. I am not diabetic though! I wish him (and you ) luck!

#16719 - 08/08/03 12:07 PM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

The biggest thing he has had to change about his diet is portion sizes, and making sure he has a variety of foods. He can't have a huge plate of pasta anymore because all those carbs make his glucose level too high. But he can have a side of pasta and some baked chicken and a vegetable. He's supposed to eat alot of whole grain breads and pastas instead of white. Too many potatoes and rice bother him also. As long as he watches his portions, he can pretty much eat anything he wants. He can even have a piece of cake if he wants, just not half a cake! The dietician told us that they don't tell diabetics they cannot have sugar anymore. They focus more on a healthy low-fat, low-salt diet. And everything in moderation. And plenty of exercise too. He's on insulin, so he actually has to be very careful when he exercises. It causes his glucose levels to drop dramatically to the point where he gets dizzy. Hopefully if he continues to monitor his diet and exercise, he won't have to use the insulin eventually.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review