All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
any suggestions?
      #163838 - 03/24/05 05:14 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

hi guys!!my ibs started flarring up on me again just a few days ago and i started the diet today of the when you cant eat anything.i was wondering can i drink soy milk on this three day period?and what foods would you recommend?how should i start my diet after these 3 days?
thank ya for your help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: any suggestions? new
      #163892 - 03/24/05 10:34 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. I did, but then I've been drinking soy milk for years. Soy can take a little adjusting to, so if you're new to it, I'd avoid it for these few days. JUst stick to the really boring diet (bread, pasta, white rice, herbal teas, etc) for now.

After the few days, add in all the other SF foods and safe protein options like chicken and fish. And start adding in the IF veggies - but done VERY safely. So have a little well cooked and finely chopped/pureed veg in a pasta sauce for example. Or start with peas...they're generally pretty safe. You can also start to introduce soy...but do it gradually so your bod can get used to it.

Avoid the really hard stuff, like broccoli and salad leaves, for a good while yet.

Good luck!

#163927 - 03/25/05 04:48 AM
Kemi

hey thanks for your help!yeah i guess getting used to the fennel tea is going to take some time,i know getting used to the soy milk took time.i like the real milk better but anything is better then having an ibs attack.i havent relley had any protein in my diet for months now.i have GERD also so im relly sensitve to spicy stuff.is oatmeal safe?i notice that sometimes i have problems with it,actually most of the time..

#164001 - 03/25/05 09:48 AM
Linz

I can only eat fine oatmeal (ie. instant)...not the proper rolled oats.

You can have plenty of protein without GERDs or IBS triggers. Grilled chicken breast and fish are very safe. Getting protein is very important.

Real milk is NOT worth it.

#164006 - 03/25/05 09:55 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

Oatmeal is suppose to be safe. I keep trying to eat it because it is full of vitamins but I stay away from it for breakfast when I have to go to work because it does cause some stomach discomfort occassionally.

#164022 - 03/25/05 10:49 AM
Kemi

right you are linz!!can i have soy milk in the 3 day process of recovery?i miss having milk with my ceral im going crazy!!i hate eating it dry.how do you know when your body is recovering on this 3 day period?

#164028 - 03/25/05 11:15 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hello! And welcome! I'm sorry if I missed this in a previous post, but are you IBS-C or D? I'm IBS-D.

I'm like Linz--the instant oatmeal is much easier for me to digest. I buy it plain or the kind that's maple syrup flavored. Watch out for those new-fangled instant oatmeal packets with the added calcium and fancy flavors--they contain whey, which is dairy!

Maybe plain rice milk would be easier for you to start out with instead of the soy? That's what I use when I'm trying to get stable. Also some people, like myself, can be intolerant to an additive in soy milk called carrageenan and the milk protein casein, so when you're ready to incorporate soy milk into your diet you may want to check the ingredients.

As for feeling stable, for me it's when I no longer have cramps, I don't feel as rundown, and have a normal BM. This usually happens within three days, like Heather mentions here. .

Take care. I hope you feel better soon!

Soy milk new
      #164059 - 03/25/05 01:01 PM
Linz

If you've been using this for a while then it's absolutely fine. And if it's ALL the soy you're having, then some soy milk on your cereal isn't the end of the world even if you don't know if it's a problem for you!

#164098 - 03/25/05 03:20 PM
Kemi

thanks for the tips!:D.im IBS C,i know i dont know how you IBS Ds feel but i would much rather be D at this point then a C..ive been C for over 2 years now and its so miserable.its not the pain for me at all,its the gas..i dont know if that should say i should go into the cant eat anything fase,i guess for everyone with IBS its different?i seem to be feeling better cutting certain things out of my diet and sticking to souble fiber and plain things...i want to start adding things back to my diet like oatmeal cookies,soy milk,and heathers banana brown sugar bread but i dont know if i should wait another day...i used to get pain at the beginnging of my IBS,i still do!but the gas is the wrost for me and has been for the last 5 months.does anyone else get bad gas?im not just talking about the stinky kind,im talking about where it comes up threw your thoart and gets stuck in your stomach and makes you feel full and sick!i have that 24/7 from the time i wake up to the time i go to sleep.it sucks!!i dont know what to do for it though.what foods should i start eating when i get over this 3 day period?sorry for so many questions!this is just so new and confusing to me!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1307

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review