All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Need some support from those with IBS-D
      #163438 - 03/23/05 03:58 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

WARNING!...POSSIBLE TMI AHEAD!...WARNING!...POSSIBLE PITY PARTY AHEAD AS WELL!...

Since December 28, when I started following the IBS diet very carefully, I've only had one D attack. It was a minor one (just one loose bm) that coincided with what I consider to be a severe panic attack. (I'm currently getting treatment for anxiety.) Other than that one time, I've been doing really well, having one or two good bms a day.

Today I have had four bms, three of those loose, in the last hour with bad cramping but not really any urgency. I've taken Immodium, which I can feel working, and I don't have any pain. The only thing different in my diet yesterday was Amy's Asian Rice Noodle Bowl, which probably had too much IF veggies. I did eat a lot of bread, and looking back through my food journal, I had eaten a lot of bread/pancakes/crackers the last time I had multiple D back in December. I'm not gluten sensitive according to tests and such, but I have noticed problems when I eat something with yeast or yeast extract in it. And the Amy's noodle bowl did have yeast in it.

Sorry to keep ramblin' on, but I guess my point is I just feel really sad because I had been doing so much better. My goal was to try to go eight weeks without D. Now my plan is to start the IBS diet again at the beginning; I work tomorrow (Thurs-Sun schedule) and I don't want to be sick. Do you think it's reasonable to start over on the diet (Break the Cycle) when you have a one-day setback like this? I wouldn't say the attack was as severe as I've had in the past, but because of past experiences I'm just afraid I'll get into a cycle of D again.

Thanks for your help. I'm a very private person and it's hard for me to share my problems and ask for help, so having joined this board in February was a big deal for me. I appreciate all your replies and your kindness. Part of my anxiety had to do with being with people, even talking on the phone, so just posting on this board can be difficult for me to do; I worry I'll offend someone or come across as a freak. I was never like this until recently, so I'm working on getting back to my confident, free-spirited, and somewhat obnoxious self. I've been doing better in managing my anxiety, but I'm starting to feel depressed because I don't understand why my body is like this or why my mind over-analyzes everything. I mean, I've been doing good until today! It's just with the weight-loss, having been sick for so long, I keep worrying I'll have to quit my job, that I'll be useless, and I really do not want to be dependent on anyone. I've been dealing with IBS for 10 years now, I made it through college, and I was fortunate enough to have been stable for almost four years after graduating! It's just the starting over again that gets me down. One of those, two steps forward, one step back deals I guess.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some support from those with IBS-D new
      #163455 - 03/23/05 04:45 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Maria,

I'm not sure what your trigger was, but usually when I have a bit of an upset, I'll casually follow Breaking the Cycle. I just take it easy, but not too strict. Luckily, the more stable you are, it seems to be easier to feel better faster and get back to being stable if you have an off day. You can go back on the BTC for a day and see how you feel.

Sometimes IBS can gets me down too. I feel like a freak girl sometimes when I just can't eat or do anything as easily as someone "normal". It can be very frustrating. But, I've found the longer I've dealt with it and followed the diet, the less I feel that way.

You think you're bad about having the guts to post on this board? My first post I posted on the boards I couldn't sleep that night. This is my first post: web page I ever did. I went to bed right after that and tossed and turned all night because I couldn't believe I posted! LOL Now I look back and think what a dork I was! Trust me, it will get better!

Hope your tummy gets happier soon!

#163461 - 03/23/05 04:54 PM
lalala

Thank you for sharing your little story about your first post. So I'm not the only one?! LOL Thank you for making me smile!

I think this feeling will pass. I'm sure a good night's sleep and following Breaking the Cycle for a day or two will help me feel better.

Thanks again!

#163466 - 03/23/05 04:58 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Haha! Glad I could help! For some reason, reading your post seemed like deja vu for me - it sounded so much like how I used to feel.

I hope you feel better tomorrow. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about not feeling well. That's a trigger for me anyway.

Let me know how you make out.

Hey don't worry! new
      #163581 - 03/24/05 02:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

TMI is not POSSIBLE on here! Believe me, we've always heard (or had) worse! And as long as you stay WELL away from politics and religion, you'll offend no-one!

Some people do have trouble with yeast...it can be an intolerance like anything else that you have to deal with on top of this diet. An exclusion diet is the simplest way to test, but that's a bore.

Good luck. Just do what you have to do to make your tum feel better. There are no hard rules here...now I'm stable I never do Breaking the Cycle for more than a couple of hours! When I first started I had nothing but SF for WEEKS. Whatever works for you.

#163618 - 03/24/05 05:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, hang in there! I'm sorry you had a setback like that... I think it happens to all of us sooner or later. What I do when I have a D day is I tend to eat a lot of soluble foods, but I don't go all the way back to the "breaking the cycle" diet - I just go heavier on the rice, and lighter on things like spices and margarine. I still eat carrots, and I do try to have some protein (chicken breast or white fish), otherwise I feel lousy. I drink peppermint and ginger teas. But the next day, if I'm feeling better, I just go back to eating normally, and I haven't had too much problem with that.

But if you feel that starting over is the best thing for you to do right now, do it! The important thing is to listen to your body and do what's best for *you*.

I totally and completely understand your anxiety, and I'm glad you're getting treatment for it. Addressing my own anxiety was seriously the best thing I've ever done for my IBS, as well as my life in general. Good luck with that.

PS - Never worry about offending us!

#163663 - 03/24/05 07:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with Casey. Give yourself a bit of a break. Keep your proteins in your diet, but cut back on the insolubles for a day or so. Give your body the break that it needs. I also have an anxiety disorder (OCD) so I totally know what you mean about being anxious all the time - especially when dealing with other people. Try to relax a bit. Take some time for yourself, and try not to worry. Setbacks are very normal for someone with IBS. You just take care of yourself, allow your body to get better and keep on trekkin'. Consider this a small bump in the road. You're on your way to bigger and better things! Take care of yourself.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#163678 - 03/24/05 08:22 AM
lalala

Thank you for putting things into perspective. I will look at this as a "bump in the road" and just keep on working at taking good care of myself. THank you!

Re: Hey don't worry! new
      #163682 - 03/24/05 08:29 AM
lalala

Thanks for your support and advice: I will gladly stay away from politics and religion.

Moderation in everything, right? I know I can have some chocolate sorbet--but not the whole pint! I can have toast with breakfast but if I know a lot of bread or yeasty products can trigger an attack then I just need to control myself.

Thanks for always being such a great help and providing honest answers!

#163685 - 03/24/05 08:35 AM
lalala

Thank you for understanding and taking the time to answer!

I'm feeling better this morning, just a bit sore and tired. I think I'll stick to the lighter foods today, just because I can feel that my intestines need a little break.

It helps me to hear that others have suffered through anxiety and have managed to gain control over it. I'm working on it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review