All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Watermelon
      #163248 - 03/23/05 07:16 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I started eating watermelon on Sunday night, had some more at lunch on Moday- then after lunch I had terrible gas, also on Tuesday terrible gas and stool frequency- (3 times), which is alot for me in one day. I usually go only once, maybe twice.
Has anyone else ever had a problem with watermelon causing gas?
Am I right in saying that going three times was what the watermelon was supossed to do. One of my friends at work said it will keep things moving.. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I shouldn't eat it anymore because it made me go too much which sometimes causes alot of pain/cramps for me. Oh I am IBS-C they say.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Watermelon new
      #163257 - 03/23/05 07:38 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't listen to friends at work. The watermelon might get you to go more often, but cause cramping, gas, causing the colon to go into spasms and eventually shut down - thus causing more constipation. If you have a slice, make sure it's very small at the END of a safe meal. I wouldn't eat it every day. Save it for a treat once in a while. That should be your rule of thumb for all fresh fruits - eat with caution, in small portions and at the end of a safe meal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: WatermelonHansSolo new
      #163258 - 03/23/05 07:42 AM
melissam

My cramps and pain are an every day thing- that actually isn't out of the ordinary for me- but the gas I had Monday afternoon and Tuesday was way out of the ordinary for me- I do not get alot of IF the way I should- IF scares me very much because of the whole Gas/bloating/ and alot of times the more BM's I have, sometimes it doesn't make me feel good- it actually makes my lower abdomen hurt more. I know it sounds weird but the doctors say it's normal GO FIGURE!
Anyway thank you for your input- I guess I will continue with the watermelon but not every day...

--------------------
Melissa

#163273 - 03/23/05 08:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried some easier varities of IF? Try some cooked vegetables instead of fresh fruit. They're much safer. Try cooked carrots for starters - they're a really good bet. Are you taking a fiber supplement? It would probably help you a lot - although sometimes it can cause more bloating and pain at the beginning or if you're on a supplement that contains psyllium. Sometimes it takes a while to get on the right supplement for you. If you're taking a SFS, maybe it's time to try another one. If you're not, I would definitely start.
For gas you can also drink fennel tea. Crush up a teaspoon of fennel seeds in a mug of boiling water.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#163277 - 03/23/05 08:25 AM
melissam

I take a dose of Citrucel daily-
I thought carrots were soluble fiber?? I have carrots usually every other day- The canned kind though- That's okay right? Do you know of any other "easy" IF that I can try. That is what I need right? Being C. It is so weird to say being C because I do go the bathroom every day- it's just I don't think I go as much as I should. The IF helps keep things moving right?

--------------------
Melissa

#163318 - 03/23/05 09:37 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Carrots are soluble. Canned should be fine as long as they don't add anything funky to them.

Have you tried making smoothies? I like to do this to safely incorporate IF. It's really easy in the blender, just takes a couple of minutes. Also, I like to buy the applesauce that contains the other fruits (peach, strawberry, etc.) For veggies, I like to puree artichoke hearts (canned kind) or steamed asparagus with a little lemon and soy parm and serve it over pasta.

Those are a couple of easy ways to get IF.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 802

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review