All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this anxiety or IBS
      #16256 - 08/05/03 04:45 AM
Anxious

Reged: 07/28/03

I keep reading about people having "good weeks" and then "flare-ups", but I seem to be stuck in one long term flare-up and I'm getting totally fed-up with it! The main problem for me is fear of travelling, rather than the pains - which do come and go. Could this be more of an anxiety problem than an IBS one? How can I learn to tell the difference?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this anxiety or IBS new
      #16260 - 08/05/03 05:49 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Oh, that's a really hard question. Kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg? I am like you----I don't have flare-ups. I suffer with symptoms everyday. However, I do know that my IBS-C is worse when I'm anxious or upset about something so I definitely think anxiety makes it worse. We do know there's a connection between the brain and the gut. If we knew exactly what that was, we'd have a great solution to our IBS problems!
I get tired of hearing people say, "Just relax and maybe you will feel better." That makes me feel stupid, like this is just all in my head and if I could just relax, this IBS-thing would all go away.
I don't think I answered your question, because I can't. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
I do know that my doctor told me that he sees a lot of patients with IBS that also have anxiety and depression problems. But, like I said, which came first, the IBS or the anxiety/depression?

#16265 - 08/05/03 06:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I agree with beaglelover!

Anxiety exacerbates IBS. If you're anxious, it won't help things

This is not "in your head!" I hope you know that

Have you considered the hypno tapes? They might be a great idea for you!

I had a HORRIBLE continous flare up all winter. When I began the hypno tapes and began relaxing, my symptoms got better (not all better, but pretty manageable!)

I hope you feel better soon!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#16300 - 08/05/03 10:04 AM
Anxious

Reged: 07/28/03

I wish I knew! Thanks!

#16304 - 08/05/03 10:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Boy that is a hard question. Maybe it would be worth a trip to your doctor and ask about some anti-anxienty medications. Be sure to let them know if your prone to D or C, certain drugs work better for each condition. They will usually prescribe a lower dosage. I am IBS C and have recently switched to Lexapro and I really noticed improvement. Good luck!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#16323 - 08/05/03 11:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I agree with Ruchie - the hypno tapes will probably really help your anxiety and the IBS symptoms that are accompanying it. Sometimes the two are so intertwined (not just in your imagination, either, but in the actual brain-gut dysfunction of IBS) that treating one will treat the other as well.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16379 - 08/05/03 03:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I say try the hypno cd's. They worked/are working for me. I would be afraid to travel, and if I did, the IBS would act up, which would make me more afraid, etc., etc.. just a viscious cycle.

#16495 - 08/06/03 02:00 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Some things worth reading.

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/stress.html

http://www.ahealthyme.com/article/primer/101186767

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#16496 - 08/06/03 02:06 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

PS, there is something called partisipatory anxiety or the fear of an attack, and that can trigger the brain to release chemicals to the gut, that cause the gut muscles to contract.

This is also connected to the immune system and when this happens repeatedly it over works the immune system. So chronic stress and anxiety can and are big triggers and this is also in part connected to the fight or flight system.

Another part of all this is serotonin, which they suspect is a big player in IBS and most of which 95% is created in the gut. It is also used to signal the contraction of the gut and they know there is a problem with this.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review