All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Honey
      #162538 - 03/20/05 08:03 PM
Ken Gold

Reged: 03/20/05

To what extent can I use honey to sweeten teas and oatmeal, etc.? I just found the web site and plan on starting the "strict diet" immediately to see if it relieves my symptoms, but can I use honey to sweeten teas and hot cereals or should I elimate all sweets for a few days?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Honey new
      #162542 - 03/20/05 08:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Luckily sugar is not an IBS trigger. Eating it to excess or eating sickeningly sweet foods could bother but otherwise just avoid high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. And good luck with the diet!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#162543 - 03/20/05 08:53 PM
annec

I just had some honey on cooked amaranth - have not seen amaranth mentioned in the book(Eating for IBS) - Is it ok?
Thanks,
Anne

#162545 - 03/20/05 09:04 PM
Little Minnie

Here is a post about amaranth. It is a worthwhile grain but Kandee says it is mostly insoluble fiber and so should not be eaten alone. I hope that helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#162547 - 03/20/05 09:27 PM
annec

Thanks Minnie. Darn it(about the amaranth)!

How about Quinoa and or buckwneat? Heather mentions Qiunoa...

Anne

grains new
      #162598 - 03/21/05 07:09 AM
Little Minnie

I don't know since I am not GI I haven't needed to learn. The easiest way to find out is to do a board search. At the top here hit search and type in quinoa and then buckwheat and read the posts.

--------------------

Amaranth is totally IF new
      #162605 - 03/21/05 07:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Quinoa is an SF, buckwheat is more iffy. Some can do it and some have problems, like gas. Both are GF grains, but only the quinoa is listed as a safe SF. The buckwheat is more individual. I eat some in my hot cereal and buckwheat noodles, but I am not sure either if I am tolerating them.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review