All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Teriyaki chicken is it safe?
      #16198 - 08/04/03 11:02 AM
lopimarie

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Arlington Washington

I have been on the eating for IBS diet for 6 days now and I am so much better I told my husband is this what it feels like to be normal no pain bloating feeling good I cann't believe it
Anyway I was wondering if teriyaki chinken that they severe in those teriyaki almost fast food places are safe? If I have it with lots of white rice I think that would make a great lunch I work right down the street from one.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teriyaki chicken is it safe? new
      #16203 - 08/04/03 12:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The chicken needs to be white meat only and skinless. And they need to cook it with as little oil as possible. If you can get those factors taken care of, and you have the white rice, you should be okay.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16205 - 08/04/03 12:18 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi--so cool you're feeling "normal!"

If you have any sensitivity to wheat, teriyaki can be a problem. Soy sauce is made with wheat.

#16207 - 08/04/03 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Actually, there are lots of different types of soy sauces. Some are brewed with soy and wheat, and some with just soy. Check the ingredients to be sure.

If you're allergic to wheat or gluten, then be careful to get a wheat-free soy sauce. If you just have IBS and react to whole wheat, but are fine with things like white breads and pasta, then it's the insoluble fiber from the bran that's affecting you. In that case (and this is true for most folks with IBS) wheat in something like soy sauce would be just fine.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16241 - 08/04/03 05:35 PM
Judithg

That's true--you can buy wheat free soy sauce or tamari sauce if wheat/gluten is a trigger. Sorry to make such a broad statement about soy sauce in my previous post, but the soy sauce used in fast foods and Asian restaurants is most often the kind with wheat, so I figured it was worth mentioning for anyone who may have this sensitivity.

#16276 - 08/05/03 06:44 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Do you know of any specific brands that are gluten free? I miss soy sauce!

Thanks!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#16327 - 08/05/03 11:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

If it's labeled tamari, it will be wheat free. Health food stores will definitely have a few different brands.

- H

--------------------

#16347 - 08/05/03 11:54 AM
Judithg

Ruchie--I use San-J Organic Wheat-Free Tamari. It's great, and it comes in a reduced sodium version too. I was so glad to find it! Another quick aside, if you have a PF Chang's restaurant in your area, they will make special orders with wheat-free soy sauce. They have an entire gluten-free menu. I find it pretty easy to eat there and be "safe" all the way around!
Judithg

#16442 - 08/06/03 08:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

THANKS!!!! I'm SO excited!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review