All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I still can't eat greens!
      #161302 - 03/16/05 07:30 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am still after being stable for nine months while taking almost 3 table spoons of acacia. I can eat carrots, zuchini and squash but nne matter how slowly I tired to add the green veggies, I just can't tollerate them. I drink V8 everyday to try and get in some greens, but I know it is not enough. I hate to admit this, but I have been avoiding them at all costs lately. Is this possible that I just can't handel them?

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I still can't eat greens! new
      #161307 - 03/16/05 07:50 PM
Sweetd

-bump-

--------------------

#161340 - 03/17/05 12:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I find that my safest way of eating difficult veg is to make a veggie risotto and have them in there chopped finely. But I still have a problem with broccoli.

Remember that some veg, like broccoli, are notorious for causing gas whatever.

#161348 - 03/17/05 02:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I can't eat greens much either, but I can eat spinach (in things) and other non green vegetables, so ok..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Linz new
      #161375 - 03/17/05 06:35 AM
Sweetd

Hi Linz,

Do you cook the risottos on the stove top or do you steam it? Broccoli effects me the worst, out of all of the veggies. I am going to try them with the rosittos. One question, I have never tried rosittos before. What exactly is risittos? I always thought it was like rice? Does it taste similar to couscus or rice? Thanks Linz for your advice!

--------------------

#161378 - 03/17/05 06:45 AM
Sweetd

.I can't touch broccoli, string beans or spinach for some reason (that's a lot of greens that I can't eat) . When you eat green veggies how much do you put in your food or do you eat it on the side and chop them? Is one large green pepper for example, to much to handel or would I make half of the pepper? What serving size do you usually make? Thanks for you help .

--------------------

It's rice.... new
      #161391 - 03/17/05 07:27 AM
Linz

...what you do (for any risotto) is cook whatever you want in the risotto in a little oil in a large pan, then add the rice and stir-fry that until the juices start to enter the rice, then add stock and stir and continue to do so until the rice is properly cooked. The idea of a risotto is that the flavours of whatever you're cooking in the risotto get cooked into the rice.

For me, I find them useful, b/c I'll fry zucchini or peppers or whatever until they're soft and then they get cooked extra well as the rice cooks, so they're extra safe. With broccoli, I'd cut it into tiny florets first...or even whizz it up in the food processor - my DH does this sometimes with dodgy IF veg and it's a great way of getting the veg with less risk.

There are some risottos on the Recipe Index, inc. a Mushroom one of mine that's an old favourite! Have fun cooking...they are a great way of eating safely. You can make them out of anything too.

Re: It's rice.... new
      #161404 - 03/17/05 08:17 AM
Sweetd

Thanks Linz! I look forward to trying this. It sounds yummy and it will be a great way for me to incorporate my veggies! I can't wait to try it, since I love rice! Thanks for the pointers!

--------------------

Re: Linz new
      #161430 - 03/17/05 09:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My DH makes a great simple risotto using this basic recipe from Rice Select:

http://www.riceselect.com/riscooks.htm

He omits the butter and just uses the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and we eat the whole recipe as a main dish. I'm not sensitive to olive oil, so that's fine for me, but you could certainly use less oil. (I also always eat plain bread with this - French, Italian, whatever - to add more soluble fiber.) My advice would be to try some plain (no vegetable) risotto first and, once you're sure you can tolerate that, try adding some cooked green vegetables a very, very little bit at a time, maybe even just one or two spinach leaves or one or two broccoli flowerets to start.

As for whether you just can't tolerate greens, period, I imagine it's possible. I've tried repeatedly to introduce whole wheat, but no matter how much soluble fiber I wrap it in, I just cannot handle it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

for me at least... new
      #161441 - 03/17/05 10:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

brocolli and green beans are out- spinach in things is fine- breads, yolkless quiches, etc... I don't do bell pepper at all.. good luck! I just find small amounts of well cooked colored vegies, or cucumber with lots of SF is ok.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Good idea. new
      #161490 - 03/17/05 11:22 AM
Linz

Mushroom risotto is a very safe one (as long as you can eat mushrooms of course! ).

I still struggle with greens out of risottos...can't have a portion of broccoli with my meal for example. I eat lots of other veg and fruit so I'm not fussed.

Sand new
      #161537 - 03/17/05 12:44 PM
Sweetd

Thanks Sand. That sounds yummy! Would you suggest chopping up the spinach first and then adding it in or through it in whole? Should I put the spinach in raw? Also, I can have butter so I think I might add butter instead. But have you ever had it with butter? If so, which one tastes better the butter or the olive oil risottos?

I really do believe that I can't handel it. But I will try for about one more month and then I am done trying.

I also have problems with some fruits, and especially jelly I can't eat them at all. But, I tried them in a smoothie and it is much more tollerable. I just can't have them whole and if I have a smoothie I need to have a small glass. As for jelly, I can't touch it at all b/c it has high fruitos corn syrup and I can't eat anything with this in it. So, I finally found a jelly I can eat. I can have Smucker's All Natural Sugar Free Seedless Strawberry (it is actually yummy)and it is great b/c it doesn't have the HFCS. Thanks again for your help!

--------------------

Linz new
      #161541 - 03/17/05 12:49 PM
Sweetd

I am the same way with some veggies. I am fine but not greens or broccoli. I also try to make up for it w/ eating more fruit and other veggies. But I can't wait to try the risotto! Hopefully, I will be as successful w/ eating greens in it as you have been. As for mushrooms, I think I can, I hardley ever eat them, but I will try it, thanks.

--------------------

Thanks khyricat! new
      #161544 - 03/17/05 12:55 PM
Sweetd

Spinach, I can eat sometimes, it depends. It is definatly easier for me to digest than broccoli or green beans! I will try it again slowly. I can't tollerate dairy at all. All I eat is soy, egg whites are fine for me and I can eat butter, which I think is odd that it doesn't bother me. Greens, dairy and fruit are my worst problems! Thank God for smoothies, V8 and risottos!

Thanks!

--------------------

greens.. new
      #161562 - 03/17/05 01:48 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I can eat spinach, celery, lettuce and greenbeans.

I am afraid of broccoli as I KNOW it always gave me gas before IBS and the same with dark green cabbage...

--------------------
S.

Re: Sand new
      #161583 - 03/17/05 02:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I prefer my risotto plain, but when I've added veggies I've always chopped them up. Especially while you're having so much trouble handling them, I'd chop them and cook them beforehand, then add them to the risotto toward the end. And seriously, start with ridiculously small amounts - you can always buy frozen vegetables in those pourable bags so you can just use a little bit at a time.

Another thing you can try is putting a little broccoli in your mashed potatoes. It sounds weird, I know, but I've actually got a couple of recipes for that that I'll post later today or tomorrow.

I'd also say give eating greens your best shot, but if you can't, don't make yourself nuts. Despite what our mothers told us, I don't think there's anything magical about greens. Eat as many different kinds of vegetables as you can manage and consider a multi-vitamin if you really worry you're not getting all the nutrients you should from your diet.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review