All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Good idea. new
      #161490 - 03/17/05 11:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Mushroom risotto is a very safe one (as long as you can eat mushrooms of course! ).

I still struggle with greens out of risottos...can't have a portion of broccoli with my meal for example. I eat lots of other veg and fruit so I'm not fussed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sand new
      #161537 - 03/17/05 12:44 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Thanks Sand. That sounds yummy! Would you suggest chopping up the spinach first and then adding it in or through it in whole? Should I put the spinach in raw? Also, I can have butter so I think I might add butter instead. But have you ever had it with butter? If so, which one tastes better the butter or the olive oil risottos?

I really do believe that I can't handel it. But I will try for about one more month and then I am done trying.

I also have problems with some fruits, and especially jelly I can't eat them at all. But, I tried them in a smoothie and it is much more tollerable. I just can't have them whole and if I have a smoothie I need to have a small glass. As for jelly, I can't touch it at all b/c it has high fruitos corn syrup and I can't eat anything with this in it. So, I finally found a jelly I can eat. I can have Smucker's All Natural Sugar Free Seedless Strawberry (it is actually yummy)and it is great b/c it doesn't have the HFCS. Thanks again for your help!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Linz new
      #161541 - 03/17/05 12:49 PM
Sweetd

I am the same way with some veggies. I am fine but not greens or broccoli. I also try to make up for it w/ eating more fruit and other veggies. But I can't wait to try the risotto! Hopefully, I will be as successful w/ eating greens in it as you have been. As for mushrooms, I think I can, I hardley ever eat them, but I will try it, thanks.

--------------------

Thanks khyricat! new
      #161544 - 03/17/05 12:55 PM
Sweetd

Spinach, I can eat sometimes, it depends. It is definatly easier for me to digest than broccoli or green beans! I will try it again slowly. I can't tollerate dairy at all. All I eat is soy, egg whites are fine for me and I can eat butter, which I think is odd that it doesn't bother me. Greens, dairy and fruit are my worst problems! Thank God for smoothies, V8 and risottos!

Thanks!

--------------------

greens.. new
      #161562 - 03/17/05 01:48 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I can eat spinach, celery, lettuce and greenbeans.

I am afraid of broccoli as I KNOW it always gave me gas before IBS and the same with dark green cabbage...

--------------------
S.

Re: Sand new
      #161583 - 03/17/05 02:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I prefer my risotto plain, but when I've added veggies I've always chopped them up. Especially while you're having so much trouble handling them, I'd chop them and cook them beforehand, then add them to the risotto toward the end. And seriously, start with ridiculously small amounts - you can always buy frozen vegetables in those pourable bags so you can just use a little bit at a time.

Another thing you can try is putting a little broccoli in your mashed potatoes. It sounds weird, I know, but I've actually got a couple of recipes for that that I'll post later today or tomorrow.

I'd also say give eating greens your best shot, but if you can't, don't make yourself nuts. Despite what our mothers told us, I don't think there's anything magical about greens. Eat as many different kinds of vegetables as you can manage and consider a multi-vitamin if you really worry you're not getting all the nutrients you should from your diet.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review