All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
severe pain. someone please help
      #160838 - 03/15/05 04:28 PM
britaniefaith

Reged: 03/03/05

for the past 4 days last week I was doing really good, following the IBS diet and taking acacia... and then on Sunday morning I woke up out of my sleep and popped up in horrible pain.. I could barely even move.. it was the worst pain in the world, ive had it before.. I used to be rushed to the ER but they never did anything for me. I ended up being on the toilet for over 3 hrs and for the first 30 min nothing was happening, just the blinding pain and no relief... it got so bad that I almost passed out. After it was all through.. I couldnt even stand up straight my stomach was so incredibly bloated it was as if I were 9 months pregnant and I couldnt even touch my stomach it was so sore... it's now two days later and im still in so much discomfort.. i dont know what is going on.. the only thing I can think of is the night before this happened I had this gluten free cake, it only had sugar, rice flour and some other flour in it.. thats it..
im so discouraged.. i feel like nothing is going to help me. my doctor is putting me on this medication called "belladonna" to take when im having the pain. but i just dont know why this keeps happening to me. im only 19 and ive been dealing with this since I was 15.
i cant even leave the house anymore because my anxiety is horrible. why would i want to go anywhere when im in so much pain?
IBS has ruined my life.. i dont even have one anymore.
i need some help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: severe pain. someone please help new
      #160883 - 03/15/05 06:59 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

You poor thing. This sounds like one of my attacks. I can spend hours in the toilet in awful pain and I usually end up with D but it can take AGES to arrive. In the meantime I feel feverish and nauseus. I'm not sure what the "other flour" was in your cake but if it was wheat maybe you have a wheat intolerance?
Otherwise I'm not much help on what might have caused the attack. Are you suffering from D or are you a C?
If you're a D I usually take an immodium when I feel an attack coming on (get advance, the simethicone helps with the pain) and I also have 2 buscopan to help with the cramps. And of course my ever faithful hot water bottle. Get plenty of rest, if you're on Heather's diet stick to the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet and I hope you feel better soon. I totally understand where you're at. I'm still suffering (although feeling marginally better since seeing my naturopath) and I've had it since I was a kid. It got even worse when I turned about 15 and by 18 my weight was all over the place depending on how many attacks I was having.
Tell me a bit more about what you're eating and what supplements or meds you're taking and I'll see if I can come up with anything else to help you out. Oh and feel free to email me if you want amyemadden@hotmail.com any support or just some sympathy. Hope this helps a bit and I'll check on this post soon.

--------------------
Amy

Could it be the Acacia? new
      #160894 - 03/15/05 07:35 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How long have you been on it? Is it something new you have just added? I know a few others who had the same pain and attack from the acacia. For some it works wonderfully, changing their lives. But perhaps your body is rejecting it.

I know how you feel, honesty. I have spent many a night and day crying over the loss of my life due to this hiddeous IBS pain and symptoms.

No, it is night a life threatening disease, but it is a life stealing condition. I HATE IBS and the effects it can have for so many of us who don't seem to be able to find any answers for our pain and symptoms. It stinks and it's not fair. I want to feel better!!!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#160900 - 03/15/05 08:24 PM
Loriann

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: coastal southern California

Hi. I haven't posted on this message board for a long time, but I happened to see your post and thought I'd write to encourage you to try the hypnosis for IBS CD's. I have had IBS since I was 12 years old, now I'm 45, and nothing helped me as much as this program by Michael Mahoney. I had the same problems you do, bad painful stomach attacks and was afraid to go out places - about a year ago I ordered the CD's and really stuck strictly to the program and I have only had a couple stomach attacks since. My biggest problem now is gas, which is better than stomach attacks! Check out the Hypnosis message board on Heather's web site. Hypnosis helps most people that do it. Hope that helps!

#160905 - 03/15/05 09:06 PM
britaniefaith

Quote:

You poor thing. This sounds like one of my attacks. I can spend hours in the toilet in awful pain and I usually end up with D but it can take AGES to arrive. In the meantime I feel feverish and nauseus. I'm not sure what the "other flour" was in your cake but if it was wheat maybe you have a wheat intolerance?
Otherwise I'm not much help on what might have caused the attack. Are you suffering from D or are you a C?
If you're a D I usually take an immodium when I feel an attack coming on (get advance, the simethicone helps with the pain) and I also have 2 buscopan to help with the cramps. And of course my ever faithful hot water bottle. Get plenty of rest, if you're on Heather's diet stick to the what to eat when you can't eat anything diet and I hope you feel better soon. I totally understand where you're at. I'm still suffering (although feeling marginally better since seeing my naturopath) and I've had it since I was a kid. It got even worse when I turned about 15 and by 18 my weight was all over the place depending on how many attacks I was having.
Tell me a bit more about what you're eating and what supplements or meds you're taking and I'll see if I can come up with anything else to help you out. Oh and feel free to email me if you want amyemadden@hotmail.com any support or just some sympathy. Hope this helps a bit and I'll check on this post soon.

thank you so much... I appreciate you being so kind. The flour definately wasn't anything with wheat in it because I have celiac disease so I already know that I cannot tolerate any wheat... as far as what im eating, lately its just been brown rice cereal with soy milk for breakfast, a soy shake for lunch and cream of rice or chicken and rice, etc for dinner.. im on a pretty bland diet because im scared to eat. as for supplements i tried peppermint oil but it gives me bad heartburn because I also suffer from IBS. I basically just live on valium, ativan and belladonna.. which all are relaxants so im pretty much out of it all the time.. its just constant.. and I have IBS with C, so I go for days without going to the bathroom and anytime I take something to try and help me go it just makes the pain worse. It seems like its an never ending cycle. one day i feel good, the next day i cant get out of bed. i can barely even leave the house anymore im too afraid of getting an attack when im out.
if you have any suggestions on what could help id really appreciate it. thank you so much

Re: Could it be the Acacia? new
      #160906 - 03/15/05 09:08 PM
britaniefaith

Quote:

How long have you been on it? Is it something new you have just added? I know a few others who had the same pain and attack from the acacia. For some it works wonderfully, changing their lives. But perhaps your body is rejecting it.

I know how you feel, honesty. I have spent many a night and day crying over the loss of my life due to this hiddeous IBS pain and symptoms.

No, it is night a life threatening disease, but it is a life stealing condition. I HATE IBS and the effects it can have for so many of us who don't seem to be able to find any answers for our pain and symptoms. It stinks and it's not fair. I want to feel better!!!

IF it was a reaction from the acacia would it have been immediate? because before the attack I had just been taking it for about 2-3 days.. and I had no problem.. would I have had an attack right away or would it take awhile? because if so, then its definately possible.. the only thing I did different was start taking the acacia.. but i cant take citrucel either.. basically i cant tolerate any fiber it seems.. so i dont know what to do because i cant go to the bathroom and i cant take laxatives because its too painful.

Why the heck!???!!!! new
      #160918 - 03/16/05 02:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Are you on all those meds? The Valium and Ativan are basically the same thing and a side effect of the Belladonna is C!!!!!

I'd really recommend you try the Hypno CDs. If you could combat the anxiety with hypno you could maybe get off the Valium and Ativan.

Also, do you exercise? It's really neccessary to combat C and cramps in particular. Yoga is great for IBS AND anxiety.

What herbal teas do you drink? Although peppermint and ginger are out with GERDs, chamomile is great for cramps (brewed VERY strong) and fennel is amazing for gas...which often causes pain.

What dose of Acacia did you start on? 1/2 tsp?

Make sure you eat regularly enough. If you don't have SF in your digestive tract, you're liable to get cramps. You didn't mention any snacks and said you have a shake for lunch so it sounds like you're not eating nearly often enough. It doesn't have to be much at all, just keep grazing.

How long have you been on soy milk for? new
      #161275 - 03/16/05 05:14 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I had really bad problems when I started drinking soy. It was worse for me than cows milk. The pain I was in was excruciating! Maybe if you haven't been having it that long switch to rice milk for a while and see if that makes any difference. Other than that I'm really not sure (sorry, I know lot's about D but not much about C). Umm or maybe the belladonna? ( I think it comes from a range of plants called nightshade plants and some people can have really big problems with them as far as pain goes, but I'm not 100% sure if it's part of this family or not). Hope this is in any way helpful.

--------------------
Amy

#161883 - 03/18/05 11:37 AM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

i understand how your feeling,ibs has reunied my life also..i lock myslef in the house all day and do the same thing every single day.im to afarid to go outside alone or go anywhere,i dont even talk to my friends anymore.im following the ibs diet and so far am having no problems but am still in pain especially at night.and still am constapied as usal..

#161886 - 03/18/05 11:55 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Ditto from me- I can appreciate everything you are saying. I don't go out and hang out with my friends anymore because I always have this crampy pain in my gut. ALWAYS.
I don't do anything I don't have to- I go to work- go food shopping, laundry, etc... I don't go out to eat with my friends, then go to the bar for a while like I used to. I go to the bathroom every day but no matter what I have crampy pain. I can't tolerate the antispasmoidics, they cause more problems than good so I have to learn to deal with the pain.
You aren't alone though!

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 750 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review