All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia
      #160726 - 03/15/05 10:33 AM
Raiken

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Massachusetts

I've been gradually upping the dose of Acacia. I had been taking 2 caplets of Fiber Con 4 times a day, but it didn't help my constipation enough. I'm now taking 4 teaspoons of Acacia a day (1-1/2 teaspoon twice a day, and 1 tsp. once a day) and also still taking the fiber con twice a day. It's strange, but the constipation seems to be getting worse -- stools are dry and hard. I'm certainly drinking enough water as well. I'm wondering -- can acacia cause constipation? Or is it that I'm just not taking enough of it for it to work well? The other ibs symtoms of bloating, cramping and gas are pretty much gone. But I'm still constipated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia new
      #160732 - 03/15/05 10:47 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You have to make sure you're also safely incorporating enough insoluble fiber into your diet to help things move along. Exercise is also helpful.

You are on the right track though, if you've controlled some of the symptoms!

#160787 - 03/15/05 01:23 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

I stopped taking the acadia. I think it made me worse constipated. I am using something that is much better. Email me if you want to know.

#160793 - 03/15/05 02:19 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i have just ordered the acacia but it hasnt come yet. what are some of the things i should expect when i first start taking it?? do you feel you didnt have enough S.F to make the acacia work? thats what im worrying about--it not working for me.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#160854 - 03/15/05 05:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Are you using any SF at all now? If you start out slow, you may not even notice a difference. You eat SF all the time in food, so it's not like you're really putting anything new into your body. But, if you start out too much if you're not used to it, you could experience some bloating.

Also... new
      #160923 - 03/16/05 03:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...how much water ARE you drinking? Some people are surprised how much you can need.

Acacia won't make you C, but a lack of water or IF (or exercise) will.

From another C'er new
      #160944 - 03/16/05 05:43 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I began on small doses, 1/2t 3 times a day. Then increased dosing by 1/2t about every four weeks. I've been taking this for a year now, and water is very key! Also, you truly have to have enough insoluable fiber if you are C like us. I try to incorporate IF at every meal and sometimes in between! A tomatoe with my breakfast, lettuce or cucumber at lunch, an apple for a snack, salad with supper...and I am better that way! C is a lot tougher to manage I think ( I was D when initially diagnosed ) because what works for a while sometimes has to be altered later. That in itself is a frustration to me!

Get moving...walking ect, if you are pretty stationary throughout the day, and drink at least your body weight divided in half in ounces of water a day. If the bloating, gas and cramping are gone, the Acacia is working, so don't give up! The comfort of not dealing with the gas ect is soooo worth it!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#167387 - 04/05/05 06:57 PM
Raiken

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Massachusetts

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion about insoluable fiber!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review