All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NEED HELP FOR MY WIFE!
      #157606 - 03/06/05 09:27 PM
whassupjake

Reged: 03/06/05

My name is Jacob. My wife has IBS and has been reading and using this website and other books to give her good recipes and instructions on what she can and cannot eat. She got to the point about two months ago where she could really see improvement and we were both encouraged. Recently, she has been eating all the right foods and none of the wrong foods. She has been having a hard time with constipation still.
My question is two fold...
We were trying to think if she had cheated at ALL on her diet. She may have cheated on something small about a week ago. If she cheats on her diet does that mean she starts all over and has to "clean" out her system for 2 weeks?
Also, she is taking a multivitamin that looks like it has a good bit of Iron in it. Could this be another reason for the continued constipation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated because she is getting VERY frustrated, and we are running out of options.
Thanks so much and hope to hear from you soon.
- jacob

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEED HELP FOR MY WIFE! new
      #157610 - 03/06/05 09:54 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Jacob,
First of all, I just wanted to say how nice it is for your wife that she has someone who will look into this stuff for her and really help her out - that is one of the BEST things you can do to make her feel better!
I am actually IBS-D, not C so I am not going to be as useful as some other people for information, but I wanted to reply to bump the post up so everyone else could see it and to welcome you to the site.
Does you wife keep a food diary? I have found that writing down everything I am eating is really helpful in figuring out what gives me an attack. Even if she hasn't eaten anything that doesn't _normally_ bother people with IBS, everyone has different triggers and something that might be safe for some of us, might not be safe for her. Did she eat anything unusual, even if she thought it was safe?
I am fairly sure that getting stopped up doesn't mean that she has to start all over again at all. She should try and make sure that she is eating enough insoluble fiber, as well as soluble fiber. A lot of us get scared to eat insoluble fiber so only have soluble, which can cause constipation.
There are a few foods that different people find effective for if they do get a bit constipated.. I am thinking other people will be able to help you with that. I know one of them is blueberries.
As for the multi-vitamin, I am not sure if iron is constipating or not.. I do know that calcium can be constipating, and that magnesium is good at relieving constipation so maybe she should check the amounts of those in her vitamins?
Let her know we'll be here to help as much as we can!
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#157626 - 03/07/05 01:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you cheat you don't need to do the "Breaking the cycle" diet unless you feel it's neccessary and if she does do that then it's only for a few days NOT 2 weeks.

Also, IBS-Cers have to be very careful about getting enough IF safely along with the SF.

Is she on a SFS? And does she drink LOTS of water and get exercise?

#157658 - 03/07/05 05:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with what Linz said. A soluble fiber supplement is key. It really works. She might have to try a few different kinds to get the right one. Try acacia, benefiber, equalactin, citrucel to name a few. She could try increasing the amount of insolubles in her diet. Water and exercise are critical for easing constipation.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 542

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review