All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is Gas/Slight Bloat "Expected" and just an issue of managing it? r/o
      #157580 - 03/06/05 07:48 PM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

hi,

sorry to keep posting with so many questions..but i'm trying to get a handle on this ibs thing.

is getting gas and/or even a slight bloat something that just "comes with the territory"?? and it's more of a matter of managing those symptoms as we eat SF? taking herbal tea for it, etc?

i'm a IBS-C..and know that many of the SF foods will cause major gas (maybe bloat) and constipation. so i'm learning from everybody here ( ) that i need to modify and add some IF with the SF in my foods. BUT..when i eat whatever foods..should i use my gassiness/bloat as a gauge as to whether that particular food is working (or going to work for me)? in other words, if i eat a potato or white bread, and get gassy , should i ditch that food as a SF option? or do i need to just 'go through it' and as long as it isn't too excruciating...just try and find something to ease the gas and bloat?

speaking of which...i drank some chamomille tea last night, and it made me gassy! i thought it was supposed to help with gas.

am i just hopelessly gassy...and just need to find something that will ease it? or do i need to change the SF choices that i make? or maybe this diet just doesn't work for me? OR...is gassy/bloating just something that comes with ibs..and no matter how much you can manage not having a ibs attack w/ diet and meds...gas/bloating is part of the deal? (say it isn't so!)

btw, when i get extreme gas pains..i've taken gas-x which causes major problems later. (especially constipation) waaah..

sorry this was so long...but i so need help in understanding..so i can start implementing this new style of eating.

thank you!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

nooo.... new
      #157614 - 03/06/05 11:35 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

don't ditch the food if you get bloaty/gassy....personally some days I'm fine with a certain SF, then another day, say if I'm stressed, I get bloated! Its a v. bizarre syndrome!

Re: Is Gas/Slight Bloat "Expected" and just an issue of managing it? r/o new
      #157618 - 03/07/05 12:43 AM
mlk

Reged: 02/15/05

Personally, I have found that no matter what I eat can potentially give me gas. I have not managed to find that it is this or that type of food/ drink. It has happened that I eat plain white rice and get gas, it has happened that I eat a whole greasy pizza and get none. My gut works in its own mysterious way.

If I were you, I would try to see if that type of food helps my C - which is a more important problem - and try to ignore the gas as much as possible, though from experience I know how difficult this can be!

#157624 - 03/07/05 01:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well fennel tea's good for bloating, not chamomile. However, if chamomile tea gave you bloating I'd say you either drank it in too big gulps or drank it too fast. The chamomile itself shouldn't give you gas.

A SFS will help with this as well. As will sticking to the diet.

#157660 - 03/07/05 05:29 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't ditch your soluble fiber foods! They are critical in easing the constipation. It could be that you're just a "gassy" person and that you will likely see some bloating all the time. (I'm like that). It could also be that you're just adjusting to the diet and your system will catch up in time. As long as you're avoiding the really gassy foods like broccoli, cauliflour, cabbage, etc. you should be doing OK. What soluble fiber supplement are you on? They can also cause real gas problems. You might have to try a few different supplements before you find the right one for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Me too new
      #157692 - 03/07/05 07:02 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I get gas and bloat no matter what I eat. Frustrating ain't it!

I don't know if it's my SFS or just my body. I've tried about 5 different SFS and have had the gas and bloat with all, so might try going without one. But that might lead to even worse constipation which will also increase the bloating and gas. So I don't know what the answer is.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Me too new
      #157696 - 03/07/05 07:08 AM
Linz

Beth, you haven't actually been doing this all that long so give it time!

But it feels like forever new
      #157710 - 03/07/05 07:23 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been doing it since beginning of November. That's over 4 months. I guess I'm a pretty impatient person with most things in life. I think I would have more hope if there was at least some improvement.

I know it generally takes C folks longer to get stable. I must work on my patience but when you hurt so much and the constipation is so bad and so chronic, I just want relief now.

Thanks for reminding me that I still may need some time and that this may not be hopeless. Does this diet maybe not just work for some of us?

How long does it usually take for most people to get stable? Does it take some people a year or more? I think it would help greatly if I could find an SFS that my body tolerated. But then again, some people on the boards have found stability without an SFS at all.

Oh, this is so confusing and frustrating. I guess I was just naive thinking that this diet and getting on an SFS would be the answer. I didn't realize there would be so much fine tuning, that different foods, even though on Heather's safe list or in her recipes, would have different effects on different people. And especially that the SFS's would have such different effects on different people. I thought all SFS were pretty much the same--they help people have BMs. Period. And that the doses for all people vary so greatly from a couple grams for some work, others take up to 15 grams. That is such a great difference.

Okay, done rambling.
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: But it feels like forever new
      #157713 - 03/07/05 07:26 AM
Linz

Re. SFSs...have you tried Acacia? And a significant dose is NOT a couple of grams - more like 8-15g.

I take 2 tbsp Acacia and have a far harder time staying stable if I start missing a dose.

And yes, it does take C's longer to stabilise as it's more of a balancing act. It's alot of effort. Note her that it took me about 6 months to stabilise and I'm A, tending towards D!

Edited by Linz (03/07/05 07:26 AM)

Re: Augie new
      #157779 - 03/07/05 08:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you tried the miralax yet?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 652 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review