All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any tips?
      #156223 - 03/03/05 06:08 AM
Nabisco

Reged: 03/03/05

Hello dear people.
I am originally from Scandinavia, but now living permanently in the Eastern Europe. I suffer from lactose intolerance, overgrowth of candida albicans and IBS (for 26 years). However, I do not have celiac disease. I do not smoke, I do not drink alcohol, I have given up all the trigger foods – and drinks, and I do not eat insoluble fibre. But the thing is I do not tolerate most of the safe foods on soluble fibre list, such as:

- white rice
- wheat
- oatmeal
- corn
- soy
- carrots
- potatoes
- mushrooms
- bananas
- peeled apples and
- sugar, which all cause me gas, pain and bloating.

It is known that people with overgrowth of candida albicans can be intolerant to those foods. Quinoa and yams are not sold here at all, and it is virtually impossible to find barley, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, squash, pumpkins and mangoes. I have always hated beets and cannot force myself to swallow them. Millet seems to be suitable, but it is sky-high in glygemic index, as is parsnips, so I do not feel confident about eating them. This leaves almost nothing to eat. I am surviving on brown rice and tuna in brine, but I am worried about not getting enough vitamins and calcium.
Any tips, anybody?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

One question.... new
      #156225 - 03/03/05 06:14 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Do you take a probiotic? As the overgrowth of candida can be because you have lost normal bacterial flora due to antibiotics/steroids etc. You didn't mention that you take one, so apologies if I'm stating the obvious!

Re: Any tips? new
      #156250 - 03/03/05 07:01 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi. It really sounds like your having a tough time getting stable. Do you take a soluable fiber supplement? You say you eat no insolluable fiber and your having trouble with lots of the solluables, but you need to have some IF in your diet somewhere - but then again, brown rice is IF, so I guess that would help. Also, have you tried white bread with jams - that's a really easy one on the tummy. How do you do with white meat chicken and ground turkey? Lots of us survive off those two staple meats. I often used cooked tomatoes to add color and flavor, but I know alot of people can't eat them if they have problems with reflux. If cultured soy yoghurt is available in your location that would also be good for the candida - personally I think soy yoghurt has a funny texture, but some really like it. Can you handle gree beans? I can eat them if they are well cooked and they are the only green veggie that doesn't cause pain and D, so I eat lots of them. I also wouldn't survive without sweet potatoes! Sorry you can't find them very often! I hope this is helpful though and feel free to post more questions.

Min

Order Acacia from Heather! new
      #156340 - 03/03/05 08:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Plus any herbal teas you can't get. The shipping isn't even that much and it's so fast.

Have a look and see if there's an online HFS for your region. You never know!

And I hope you ARE taking a probiotic.

Plus...you do know that brown rice is high in INsoluble fibre, right?

Ps. new
      #156343 - 03/03/05 08:47 AM
Linz

Who diagnosed your candida overgrowth? Did they give you any help?

Re: Any tips? new
      #157752 - 03/07/05 08:09 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Are pretzels and applesauce considered SAFE foods???

Paranoid right now, so I'm checking.

Thanks.

Yep! new
      #157770 - 03/07/05 08:35 AM
Linz

As long as the pretzels are baked and made without butter (usually they're fine). Applesauce is a great source of SF...all the IF in the apples has been taken away.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4562 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review