All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tasty beverages
      #155971 - 03/02/05 03:44 PM
cruizin

Reged: 03/02/05

I have just recently found this site and decided to start watching what I eat and drink for my IBS. I have also recently decided to start intaking more liquid, something I have been told to do for several years. I notice fresh fruit mixed, pep tea, cranberry, and water to drink. Is there anything else available besides those things for sale in the store that would be good? I am going to go in shock if that is all that is good for me
I have been drinking apple juice for 2 weeks throughout they day. Thanks for any help cruizavon@cs.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tasty beverages new
      #155974 - 03/02/05 03:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, other herbal teas are good, too - and not just fennel and ginger, which are usually mentioned on here for the health benefits they provide, but things like the Celestial Seasonings "zingers" and the more flavorful blends. Just make sure they're herbal! Redbush or rooibus tea is also tasty, esp with a bit of sugar and some vanilla soy or rice milk.

Soy and rice milk are good for drinking too! I prefer rice milk for drinking, personally... chocolate Rice Dream is SO GOOD.

A number of us drink herbal "coffee substitutes" - I like Teeccino. These are caffeine-free, contain no coffee beans, and are safe.

Other than that, I can't say I can think of anything... fruit juices are kind of touchy, they cause problems for a lot of people. I can't even do cranberry juice, which is typically considered safe, because it's too acidic for me.

Teeccino! new
      #155977 - 03/02/05 03:58 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

never heard of it - where do you get it and does it taste good? can I put nondairy creamer in it?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Teeccino! new
      #155991 - 03/02/05 04:26 PM
atomic rose

Well, taste is relative, but I like it. I drink a pot a day! Non-dairy creamer would be fine in it, as long as you're not sensitive to dairy derivatives like casein... I think sodium caseinate is the one that's in every single non-dairy creamer (yeah, I've read a LOT of labels).

You can order Teeccino online at http://www.teeccino.com or it can usually be found in health food stores. It's not cheap, but it's so worth every penny to me, heh. My favorites are the mocha and hazelnut, so far. Skip the original, it's not nearly as good as the others!

#156016 - 03/02/05 05:07 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Hey there. I have tried the vanilla nut and the mocha now, they are great. And your suggestion of using less than they call for on the container was definitely a good one, saves money too.

#156456 - 03/03/05 10:43 AM
cruizin

Reged: 03/02/05

Wow! I have really heard of any of those. This should e very interesting for me. I assume these aren't sold in the regular stores? I drink regular fat free milk now. Which one that you listed would be closest to the taste of regular milk? Thanks for your help.

#156462 - 03/03/05 10:53 AM
atomic rose

Well... neither one tastes like cow's milk. I think rice milk has a much milder taste - soy milk tastes very obviously like soy. On the other hand, soy milk is creamier, whereas rice milk is thinner. I tend to like rice for drinking and soy for cooking.

Most grocery stores carry both rice milk and soy milk. There are a LOT of different brands of soy, whereas the rice milks you'll find are usually just Rice Dream and Westsoy, both of which are good. Look for them in the "diet" section of the grocery store. Sometimes they also keep it back near the milk. When in doubt, ask. And if your grocery doesn't carry it, a health food store will.

Good luck!

#159196 - 03/10/05 09:43 AM
Lisa Crain

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Norman, OK

Hey! I didn't think there would be anyone else on here from Norman, OK. Do you know if there is a local support group here locally?

Thanks! Lisa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 442 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 966

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review