All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Should I follow this advice? Thanks all!
      #15480 - 07/29/03 07:46 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So, my nutritionist basically told me to eat plain fresh fish, plain chicken, and plain red meat (organic) with plain rice or potatoes and cooked veggies (like carrots, parsnips, and whatever I can tolerate), twice a day. Two ounces of the protein at each meal. For breakfast she suggest cream of rice and LITERALLY two bites of plain yogurt since I'm not lactoste intolerant. She also suggests I cook peaches and pears and eat them plain.

This diet is meant to be for eating for IBS, gluten free, egg free, corn free, mostly dairy free, and sugar/sweetner free.

Whaddya think? Does this sound healthy--IBS safe?

Thanks for your input...and for caring!

*hugs*

Ruchie

P.S. Heather, I told her about your book in my questionarre, and she was impressed (that's how I knew I liked her!) She even suggested I drink herbal teas...a definite plus!

The other hting is, when I was in high school I woke up at 4am and exrcised for an hour, then spent 2 hours eating breakfast...including 90 oz. water! It took me 3 hours to have a BM (she says it takes most folks 1-2 hours in that situation). Does anyone know anything about this and why I might have had a BM almost every day like clockwork in high school? I was also taking ritalin for ADD, eating dried apricots for breakfast, a soy meal OR a bagel with cream cheese. I think it may have been the ritalin! It's speeds up your brain...why not your metabolism? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Should I follow this advice? Thanks all! new
      #15483 - 07/29/03 08:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Ruchie - Overall the diet sounds pretty safe. I'd stick to skinless chicken breasts or fish instead of red meat (which is probably the single most difficult thing for anyone to digest). And I'd ask about using either soy yogurt for the dairy, or if you're trying to avoid soy take acidophilus supplements instead. Dairy is a close second to red meat in causing GI difficulties. The cooked fruit might pose a problem if you don't peel them (the skins are high insoluble fiber) or if you're fructose intolerant. Otherwise they'd be good, especially if you eat them with your cream of rice cereal or after your rice and potatoes.

For the high school questions, I'd guess that the hour of hard exercise was helping things, especially first thing in the morning which is when most people have a bm. Also, the big breakfast would help - eating triggers the gastrocolic reflex, which triggers a bm. Dried apricots have lots of insoluble fiber, and that would help as well. Not sure about the ritalin - do a google search and see what the side effects are.

Keep us posted!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Ruchie, I love your picture! new
      #15498 - 07/30/03 05:39 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

For some reason, I thought you were twice this age. (I guess I assume everyone is my age!)

#15500 - 07/30/03 06:05 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Yeah! I am so excited to finally put a pretty face with your name! Thanks for posting a photo....hope that your anniversary celebration went well too! Feeling better? Oh, and I agree with Heather regarding your nutritionist,,,good for you for going!

Take care!
Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#15502 - 07/30/03 06:07 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Yep, thought that you were older also. Why? No idea....

Good luck on the diet, sounds like your doc knows what he/she is talking about, esp if Heather gave it a thumbs up.

Hope you're doing well!

--------------------
~jules

Re: your picture new
      #15513 - 07/30/03 06:38 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ruchie you like you could be Angels's sister!

#15515 - 07/30/03 06:47 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Well there you are Ruchie!! What a great pic!!! It is so good to put a pretty face on you so we all know what you look like!!! The diet sounds positive!!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#15525 - 07/30/03 07:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Ehemm....and where might your picture be?

Happy Wednesday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie, I love your picture! new
      #15527 - 07/30/03 07:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

How old did you think I was? I'm only 24...still a babe! Just wondering what made you think I was older?

You guys make me blush! I'm glad you like the pic...it was from when my husband and I were a year and a half ago. It's his hat

I love you guys--thanks for making me feel so good!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I agree...cute pic Ruchie! -nt- new
      #15552 - 07/30/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review