All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peanut butter
      #153482 - 02/23/05 10:00 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

(I did a search but still couldn't determine if it was safe or not...)

I've been reading about people on here eating peanut butter. I thought that it was a trigger food since it had such a high fat content?

I've been keeping my fat grams really low - today I only got 20g - so 2 tablespoons of pb would constitute almost all of my daily fat grams. Is this a safe thing to eat, in moderation, or should I stay away from it completely?

Thanks, Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peanut butter new
      #153485 - 02/23/05 10:07 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I think it depends on the person. Some of us can handle it, some of us can only have a little and some of us need to steer completely clear of it! I can tolerate it just fine. Maybe have a little bit to start with and see how you go but start slowly and maybe leave a few days at least between helpings. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

#153515 - 02/24/05 03:45 AM

Unregistered

Yeah I don't go near peanut butter - it's funny, even the smell of it makes my stomach start to hurt. But it is an individual thing. I eat soy wonder and it still has 11 grams of fat for 2 tablespoons, but I never eat the full serving and spread real thin. Some people also eat Cashew Butter or Almond Butter.

So there are some "safer" options if you want that peanut butter taste but moderation is still the key.

#153524 - 02/24/05 04:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can eat a tiny, tiny amount of it - I mean, maybe a teaspoon - once a week at the most. Same for any other nut butter. If I ate 2 tbsp (an actual serving), it would probably kill me.

Another option, if you can find it, is soynut butter - if I remember correctly, it's quite a bit lower in fat than peanut butter. It doesn't taste *quite* the same, but it's really pretty good.

#153533 - 02/24/05 05:17 AM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Also, I always eat the natural kind that doesnt have all the added oil and sugar. Smuckers makes a reduced fat natural PB. The oil separates on the top so you can actually pour that off into the sink and then stir the rest of it up. This cuts down on the fat even more. I am addicted to PB. But eating 2 Tbs at a time would be a large amt, it is easy to spread like a tsp on toast and have plenty.

I eat it - but not a full serving - and... new
      #153583 - 02/24/05 07:43 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I usually get the lowfat kind too. I still get the taste - and some of the benefits of it - without the large amount of fat that triggers an attack. I don't eat it all the time either. It's kind of a once in a while treat sort of thing.

soynut butter new
      #153651 - 02/24/05 10:01 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I eat soynut butter instead! Peanuts in general have bothered me at times, so I made the switch and I don't even notice it's not PB anymore. I do still use it in moderation, though, since it still has about as much fat as the low fat PBs.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#153660 - 02/24/05 10:09 AM
Pen

Reged: 01/11/05

Regular peanuts are not a good thing for me to eat, but peanut butter does not bother me. I eat it often.

#153666 - 02/24/05 10:34 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Funnily enough, a nice peanut butter and jelly sandwich is one of my safe staples! Then again, I use the stuff that's just peanuts and salt (fresh ground at the store - yum!), big ol' pieces of sourdough bread, and I spread it about as thinly as someone would spread butter. Oh, and I'm on the C side of things, so getting my gut a bit active isn't the worst thing in the world for me.

I've never really gotten into trouble with peanut butter except when I used to mix it 50/50 with butter and eat loads of it. Those were the days....

--AC

Awwwwww PB new
      #153753 - 02/24/05 01:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have a PB&J almost every day for lunch. The thought of a turkey sandwich with no cheese or vegetables is icky! and the mayo (I use grapeseed oil mayo) would be as much fat as the PB. I use Skippy reduced fat and with homemade jam and plain oatmeal toast it makes for 7-8 grams of fat for the sandwich. 1T of soybean oil margarine has much more than that. I also put reduced fat PB on noodles for Thai dinners.
Congrats on your diet success!
Nutz over Chocolate Luna bars take care of the PB cravings too!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review